Going into Pharmacy with little education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Horus27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into the university of toledo for pre-pharmacy and I am stressing out about it. My dad is a pharmacist and I am going into this with taking no science courses in my senior carreer at high school. I took chemistry as a sophomore (struggled and got a B), biology as a sophomore (struggled and got a B), and physics as a junior (Got an A but easy teacher) with nothing this year. I took an easy chemistry class at Muskingum college with post secondary that I got a B in and the credit doesn't even transfer because it isn't for a science major. Right now I am taking a speech class that I think I'm getting a B or C in. I got a 22 on the ACT when I tried to get a 23 to get into Findlay but it didn't work out. I'm

My question is if I will be too far behind everyone else to get through this to become a pharmacist. I already would have to be studying none stop and I am just this much further behind. Every day I feel like is a waste because I am just losing that information and I actually want to be studying. Both my cousins are in pharmacy and get all 4.0s so I can't even relate to them. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless this is one of those 6 year schools then the following holds true.
You're going into PRE-pharmacy. Not pharmacy. There's a reason pre-reqs are needed before pharmacy, it's to teach you all the science and math and what ever else you need to succeed in PHARMACY school.

I mean... did you really think high school mattered? Or better question, do think almost ANYONE learns anything from high school that carries over to college?

Totally agree with the above comment. Don't worry that's why they call is Pre-Pharmacy. You will be given all the tools you need (or at least more than half) to be able to succeed in Pharmacy school. Do your best as an undergrad and try to get all A's and B's in the Pre-req. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
It just seems strange that I am going into an advanced science major and people at school that are taking much harder classes are going to college for something less. I always hear how competitive pharmacy is and that I pretty much need a 4.0 to go to the real pharmacy studies which I don't know that I capable of.

If I don't get a 4.0 I can always do something else and its not the end of the world but I hate the thought of wasting all this time and money. I'm looking for assurance that I can pass. I can do a lot of studying but I thought that everyone else that goes into pharmacy has done as much as they can to be prepared and I have not. I'm going to be seeing things like its for the first time when I'm there and that scares me to death. I kind of imagine that I'll be asking the tutors questions daily.

thanks for replying

It just seems strange that I am going into an advanced science major and people at school that are taking much harder classes are going to college for something less. I always hear how competitive pharmacy is and that I pretty much need a 4.0 to go to the real pharmacy studies which I don't know that I capable of.

If I don't get a 4.0 I can always do something else and its not the end of the world but I hate the thought of wasting all this time and money. I'm looking for assurance that I can pass. I can do a lot of studying but I thought that everyone else that goes into pharmacy has done as much as they can to be prepared and I have not. I'm going to be seeing things like its for the first time when I'm there and that scares me to death. I kind of imagine that I'll be asking the tutors questions daily.

thanks for replying

You definitely don't need a 4.0. Yeah, good grade are important, but there's sooooooo many other factors that go into being a good applicant. Also, the great thing about the pharmacy pre-reqs is that they are basically the same for pre-med, pre-vet, etc. They are also easily applicable to other science majors. If for whatever reason, you don't think pharmacy is for you, it's not difficult to adjust your career track. Good luck.

You don't need a 4.0 to get in to pharmacy school, although every grad/pro school looks for 4.0's to join. Just don't fall into the point where 3.0 GPA is your goal.

Once you get into college to do pre-req's (most likely you will have to, considering you haven't told us if you were looking at 0-6 programs), you might feel different about college. You're still in high school, and senioritis has kicked into full gear for you. Just finish the best you can right now, and in the summer, look to brush up on general chem, bio, and physics. You might find that this might inspire you further into pharmacy.

Just know that pharmacy shouldn't be your end-all, be-all. If you're interested in something else, don't feel pressured to be a pharmacist. Do what makes you happy, but makes enough money to live in the practical world.

Unless this is one of those 6 year schools then the following holds true.
You're going into PRE-pharmacy. Not pharmacy. There's a reason pre-reqs are needed before pharmacy, it's to teach you all the science and math and what ever else you need to succeed in PHARMACY school.

I mean... did you really think high school mattered? Or better question, do think almost ANYONE learns anything from high school that carries over to college?

It's true that you can be a complete slacker in high school and still get your act together in college and do really well... BUT I think if you prepare yourself in high school by taking a lot of AP and college classes (if your school has dual enrollment) then you will have a much easier time in college.

I busted my *** in high school only because I needed a scholarship to go to a private school, but once I got there it was easy. I didn't have to study that much and I still did very well my first two years taking pre-reqs. I went out with friends, joined a competitive sports team, worked part time, etc. High school sort of matters if you want "easy street", but if you work hard anything is possible.

I have been accepted into the university of toledo for pre-pharmacy and I am stressing out about it. My dad is a pharmacist and I am going into this with taking no science courses in my senior carreer at high school. I took chemistry as a sophomore (struggled and got a B), biology as a sophomore (struggled and got a B), and physics as a junior (Got an A but easy teacher) with nothing this year. I took an easy chemistry class at Muskingum college with post secondary that I got a B in and the credit doesn't even transfer because it isn't for a science major. Right now I am taking a speech class that I think I'm getting a B or C in. I got a 22 on the ACT when I tried to get a 23 to get into Findlay but it didn't work out. I'm

My question is if I will be too far behind everyone else to get through this to become a pharmacist. I already would have to be studying none stop and I am just this much further behind. Every day I feel like is a waste because I am just losing that information and I actually want to be studying. Both my cousins are in pharmacy and get all 4.0s so I can't even relate to them. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you even like pharmacy or have any interest in it at all? By the sound of your post, you are doing it because your family members are doing it and perhaps you are expected to follow in their footsteps? Do something you enjoy, not something you feel obligated to do.

If you do have an interest in it, then study hard and you'll be fine. High school doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. You will be judged by what you do in your first few years of undergrad and pre-reqs.

Wow, I love the responses, thanks.

I am very interested in science and learning more, I never took anything advanced (science related) and my cousins took nothing but advanced classes so I'm at ends. Its pretty crazy that I'm stressed over not having classes and next year it will be the opposite. I wish I was there now so I could be doing it, or something even remotely close to it. I really want to do it and it may be that I'm just putting this job on such a pedestal that I don't think I'm worthy of it.

oh ya I'm going into a 6 year program

Last edited:
You're only going into pre-pharmacy right now.. Stop worrying about the classes you took in high school. You'll most likely end up taking the basic sciences all over again in college. You don't take "advanced" sciences until college.

Very good thread guys. I think horus27 will be fine. Just study and work hard and you should be fine. Good luck!