going to caribbean school and reapplying at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j04177117

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplying this year after being waitlisted at 2 schools last year. In the meantime of waiting, I applied to a Caribbean med school just in case. I got accepted for the semester starting January 2006, but I still wanted to try in the US, since I was interviewed at 7 schools. Has anyone heard of someone matriculating at a Caribbean school, and reapplying in the US at the same time? I'm hoping I can get early interviews before winter break, if I don't get in before winter break, then go to the Caribbean and wait till March to hear back. If I get accepted, then drop the Caribbean school. If not, then stay. Any thoughts about this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually in the same boat, and will probably apply to the islands within the next 2 months, again just in case. Some medical schools do ask you if you have ever matriculated in any medical school.

doesnt this cost a lot?

Members don't see this ad :)
goldfish85 said:
doesnt this cost a lot?

sure, i'll be risking having to pay a semester of tuition, plus housing... but in the long run, it's a drop in the bucket. but i have to say, airfare to the caribbean is very expensive.

and, i just thought of this...to answer the secondary question about a difficult or challenging situation, is it okay to talk about re-applying? the frustrations of waiting? maybe i should start a new thread on this topic...

I'm applying to a couple of Caribbean programs for January, hoping to get advanced standing (long story!).

I also thought I'd apply through AMCAS to start over year one at U.S. schools.

My thought was that IF I get accepted to the Caribbean programs, and IF I get interviews in the U.S., I would defer the Caribbean program until May (their next start time), and see how the U.S. thing works out. If I'm on Wait Lists or don't get any U.S. offers, I go to the Caribbean in May.

Trader56 said:
I'm applying to a couple of Caribbean programs for January, hoping to get advanced standing (long story!).

I also thought I'd apply through AMCAS to start over year one at U.S. schools.

My thought was that IF I get accepted to the Caribbean programs, and IF I get interviews in the U.S., I would defer the Caribbean program until May (their next start time), and see how the U.S. thing works out. If I'm on Wait Lists or don't get any U.S. offers, I go to the Caribbean in May.

yeah...it's tough, but i was really wondering about matriculating in january to the caribbean program no matter what happens in the U.S. and then drop it if i get in a US school.

The only issue, and I think this is a small one in the big picture, is the 5-9 months you give up and the cost, if you leave the Caribbean program to accept a U.S. spot.

The advantages, though, in terms of graduating from a U.S. school, are worth the lst 9 months I think.

Yuo'll know in May (maybe sooner) if you've been accepted at any U.S. programs, so you're looking at doing one semester in the Caribbean. As to your AMCAS application, at the time you submit it, you can honestly say you've never matriculated at any other school for the M.D. degree, and I wouldn't mention it on any of your paperwork or interviews.

Yuo'll also get a good feel for the life of a med student with any time you spend in the Caribbean, and this will definately help if you get into a U.S. school.

Why apply to the Jan caribbean class? Why not apply to both US MD in august and also the caribbean classes in Aug?

Trader56 said:
The only issue, and I think this is a small one in the big picture, is the 5-9 months you give up and the cost, if you leave the Caribbean program to accept a U.S. spot.

The advantages, though, in terms of graduating from a U.S. school, are worth the lst 9 months I think.

Yuo'll know in May (maybe sooner) if you've been accepted at any U.S. programs, so you're looking at doing one semester in the Caribbean. As to your AMCAS application, at the time you submit it, you can honestly say you've never matriculated at any other school for the M.D. degree, and I wouldn't mention it on any of your paperwork or interviews.

Yuo'll also get a good feel for the life of a med student with any time you spend in the Caribbean, and this will definately help if you get into a U.S. school.

Isn't it kind of shady to not mention in interviews that you have matriculated into another med school while you are interviewing? How would you answer the question "What are you doing right now?" I would definitely check with some US schools and see if this would somehow mess up your status as an applicant- it seems that most med schools will not accept you if you have dropped out of another med school, rather they will only accept 2nd or 3rd year transfer students. You also need to show schools your grades from all schools attended so they would prob find out you matriculated at another med school eventually. Just be careful and ask this question to some deans/admissions people at US schools- don't just go on the word of some random people on a website. If you are looking for something to help you get into med school, I think attending an SMP would be much more highly regarded by US med schools than a year in the Caribean- and it would be the same coursework you'd be doing as a first year down in the caribean anyway so it would be good prep for med school.

I actually am reapplying this year after dropping out of an MD program in the United States. I e-mailed the dean of the medical school I want to go to and she told me that it was completely situational. They would never automatically reject an applicant if they had dropped out before, but that how it looked to the admissions committee would depend on each situation. My reason for dropping out after a week of classes was that I was burnt out and wanted to attend a different school. The dean told me that it would be important for me to convey this in my application, as well as talk about what I did with the year off to show my continued motivation for medicine and service. I don't understand why people on SDN think it's the most horrible thing to matriculate and then reapply if something goes wrong. And as far as matriculating to Carribean, and applying to MD schools, I don't think this is shady at all. I would definitely do it, because the benefits of getting into an MD program will far outweigh spending a semester of time and money in the Carribean. And I agree with a previous poster who said that spending time as a medical student will help you in the reapplication process. I truly believe it gives me a leg up, because I already know a little (albeit a weeks worth) of what med. school is about. I would say go for it!

Anonymous_Uzer said:
I actually am reapplying this year after dropping out of an MD program in the United States. I e-mailed the dean of the medical school I want to go to and she told me that it was completely situational. They would never automatically reject an applicant if they had dropped out before, but that how it looked to the admissions committee would depend on each situation. My reason for dropping out after a week of classes was that I was burnt out and wanted to attend a different school. The dean told me that it would be important for me to convey this in my application, as well as talk about what I did with the year off to show my continued motivation for medicine and service. I don't understand why people on SDN think it's the most horrible thing to matriculate and then reapply if something goes wrong. And as far as matriculating to Carribean, and applying to MD schools, I don't think this is shady at all. I would definitely do it, because the benefits of getting into an MD program will far outweigh spending a semester of time and money in the Carribean. And I agree with a previous poster who said that spending time as a medical student will help you in the reapplication process. I truly believe it gives me a leg up, because I already know a little (albeit a weeks worth) of what med. school is about. I would say go for it!

Yikes! Let us know if this works out for you, because I cannot imagine how in the world it ever could.

housecleaning said:
Yikes! Let us know if this works out for you, because I cannot imagine how in the world it ever could.

You're just pissed off, housecleaning, cause you got dem anal warts and most of us other people on SDN don't. Up yours, asswipe! ;)

DrFeelgoodDO said:
You're just pissed off, housecleaning, cause you got dem anal warts and most of us other people on SDN don't. Up yours, asswipe! ;)

Watch out, he's gonna come back and bash on DOs again! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
DrFeelgoodDO said:

Watch out, he's gonna come back and bash on DOs again! :eek:

housecleaning said:

Why can't you imagine it ever could? Admissions committees are made up of human beings and they know how things go sometimes.

Anonymous_Uzer said:
Why can't you imagine it ever could? Admissions committees are made up of human beings and they know how things go sometimes.
ok. good luck.

Anonymous_Uzer said:
they know how things go sometimes.

HAHA, so we all "think" they do.. or they think they do.. I would like to stress your "sometimes" part...im speaking from experience

shaggy411 said:
HAHA, so we all "think" they do.. or they think they do.. I would like to stress your "sometimes" part...im speaking from experience

What experience if u don't mind sharing...

Anonymous_Uzer said:

I think you misunderstood me- I didn't say it was shady to go to a Caribbean school and drop out to attend a US school- I just meant that one of the suggestions that an earlier poster gave (matriculate at a Caribbean school but don't tell the US schools you are interviewing at that you are currently in a med school down there)- that to me seemed dishonest to not share with an admissions committee. It's a pretty big thing to just not mention.. Hopefully you are right that admissions committees can have a heart and give individual situations consideration, but I just read the MSAR and it seemed like alot of schools said they did not accept students that dropped out of other medical schools or that other grad degree programs had to be completed before matriculation, which is why I just thought the OP should just be cautious about this plan. However I'm no expert on this by any means though so I stick by the idea of contacting the schools the OP will apply to and ask about this situation- it just seems safest.

If you use any type of federal financial aid to pay for anything, schools can see it. There's an online database for every student who has received stafford loans showing how much they got and for where.

Not to mention, every secondary application I have seen explicity asks, "Have you ever been a matriculant or candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree?". You would have to lie on your secondary to pull anything off.

If you did get in and lied, they would eventually find out and probably repeal your admission.

JKDMed said:
If you use any type of federal financial aid to pay for anything, schools can see it. There's an online database for every student who has received stafford loans showing how much they got and for where.

Not to mention, every secondary application I have seen explicity asks, "Have you ever been a matriculant or candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree?". You would have to lie on your secondary to pull anything off.

If you did get in and lied, they would eventually find out and probably repeal your admission.

Whoever said anything about lying? I've already contacted the school I want to go to and told the Dean I dropped out of a different medical school.

to start off, this is for my friend, not me. also, i am not being a "troll" here, i am genuinely looking for help for her. does anyone have any experience with this situation:

Ok, so, my friend is in DO school but hates it and is getting a ton of getting federal loans. How would it work if she quit and went to MD school? Would she have to start paying on those loans NOW or could they be added onto from the MD school assuming the total balance stays below the 180something maximum and then start paying back like she normally would have?

Also along those lines, she has no desire to transfer into a ms2 or ms3 position, but to just completely start over even though she would be leaving the DO school at the end of her ms2 year. She retook the mcat and went from a 24 to a 33 and has a 3.4 gpa. Would the MD school know she went to a DO school before? Is she required to say? would it matter if she said? i think she said she is about average in the class, grade wise.

finally how would it affect the DO school? is it really bad for that school or just someone they dont get an extra 2 yrs of money from??

I guess she was hoping that since there is the aacomas and the amcas separately, that there would not be communication between the two in applying.

she just doesnt want to go to the DO school anymore badly enough that she would be will to start completely over. just a personal choice, no good solid extenuating circumstance. a transfer would be great, but not needed.

we appreciate the help.

My boyfriend just graduated from Tulane in June.

One of his friends and classmates got waitlisted at Tulane...started at a Carribean school then was able to transfer to Tulane after his first or second year.

It's not unusual from what I understand. He did well there.

If I were you, I would defer at the Carribean school and see what happens first.

7 interviews is amazing...I'm sure you'll get in somwhere and its often cheaper to go in the States.

Just my opinion...but I'd enjoy the time off with friends...you've got a great backup!

-s