Going to vet school after PhD and postdoctoral fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tod546

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello my I am currently research assistant professor, I graduated a PhD in cardiac electrophysiology and genetic in 2012, I have done a postdoctoral fellowship at case western reserve University and now obtained a research assistant professor and published a couple of publications. However, I am an animal lover and have always been interested in going back to vet school and eventually change my career path. I was wondering whether it would be possible to do so and if anyone has done this in the past? Do I need to take all the courses given my past? Can I do vet research? Let me know your thoughts Thank you Jérôme

Members don't see this ad.

So I followed a similar path and obtained a PhD and had a short post doc before going to vet school. However, when I was writing my essays and during interviews, I made it clear that I would be combining both degrees in pursuit of my career interests. I realized about halfway through my PhD that I truly loved veterinary pathology and played up my strengths related to that interest. As far as coursework, I had graduated undergrad in 2010, so some of my prereqs were bordering on 10 years old by the time I applied. However, I didn’t have a single school point out that I had to retake any of them (potentially because I had been in a science field for my PhD). I did have to take some prereqs that I hadn’t taken in undergrad, but I just took them at a community college and again, no schools had an issue with that. Even though I had a PhD, I still had to show on transcripts that I had taken all of the prereqs; I wasn’t exempt from any classes. I had to retake the GRE because my scores had already expired after 5 yrs. I also gained veterinary experience in areas other than research and pathology by shadowing at a vet clinic every weekend. It was a ton of work but I got in on my first try!

As far as research, yes of course there’s a ton of research opportunities, both in school and afterward. However, you don’t really need a DVM to conduct research now. I guess you need to ask yourself why you really want a DVM and how would it further your career.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for these informations. I am currently 37 and I was wondering how much the tuitions are? Can I just do reasearch in vet research lab? If such thing exists and where? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition can easily be found on each school’s website or at this website VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map

With a PhD, you can obviously do research in whatever you get funding in. If you want to look at cancer in a dog, you can do that. If you want to conduct translational medicine in mice or rats, that’s available too. I guess I’m not understanding what your definition of “vet research” is. In my opinion, there’s little holding you back now from conducting what you would probably consider “vet research”. You’re trained in designing and implementing a study, as well as interpreting the results. What you’re not trained in is the clinical aspect, which you need to ask yourself if you really need. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong please.

Tuition can easily be found on each school’s website or at this website VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map

With a PhD, you can obviously do research in whatever you get funding in. If you want to look at cancer in a dog, you can do that. If you want to conduct translational medicine in mice or rats, that’s available too. I guess I’m not understanding what your definition of “vet research” is. In my opinion, there’s little holding you back now from conducting what you would probably consider “vet research”. You’re trained in designing and implementing a study, as well as interpreting the results. What you’re not trained in is the clinical aspect, which you need to ask yourself if you really need. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong please.

I think lilylilac pretty much nailed it.

There are a number of veterinary programs that offer combined PhD/DVMs to facilitate more clinical experience in research. And I attended school with folks who already had PhDs...it's certainly not out of the ordinary. I think you need to consider how much the clinical experience will help you in what you're looking to do in your career.

I also attended school with a number of people who didn't start unitl their 30s -- I was one of them!

As suggested, the first place I would start doing some research is VIN Foundation's Vet School Bound initiative. You'll see the Cost of Education Map, as well as a pre-req map, and the number of veterinary experience hours schools request/require to be considered a qualified applicant.

If you're going to need to borrow to fund your veterinary education, then I would be looking at the schools that will allow you to earn your DVM at the lowest cost possible. There is quite a range of costs depending on where you live and where you want to attend. Pick the lowest 1-3 costs schools, print out your transcripts and call/meet with the Dean's office or Admission's counselor to see how far away you are from being considered a qualified applicant.

When I narrowed my first choice down to CSU, I met with their admission's counselor quarterly before I applied -- to make sure I was on the right path AND to make sure they could put a face to my name in the application process. I think it goes a long way for them to recognize the folks that are applying, "Hey that was that kid that kept showing up here. I think he's pretty serious about this vet school thing."

That also helped me keep my pre-req costs down too -- knowing the minimum classes I needed to take. And let's be honest, no matter how long ago you took some of these classes, it would be pretty silly for you to have to take something like Biology 101, right? So make sure you talk about those sorts of things with your short-list of schools.

With your background, you may find in those discussions with the admissions folks that they have a different recommendation for you too -- one where maybe some of those "general" requirements might be waived. They did for me. You won't know unless you start asking...

Good luck with whatever you choose and if you have any questions about the information on VIN Foundation as you continue your research, please do not hesitate to reach out. We provide those resources to help you answer just these sorts of questions :)