MPH during or after Vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futubet431

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm a pre-veterinary student who got accepted to two veterinary schools in the U.S. this cycle. My particular interest is emergency medicine AND public health. I'm leaning towards public health jobs, such as EIS of CDC.

Has anyone went through MPH during or after vet school? My future vet schools won't offer combined DVM/MPH programs and I was wondering if I can do MPH program online during or after graduation to save money.

Please let me know and thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently doing the dual MPH degree through Minnesotta. I started during the summer between my 1st and 2nd year and honestly it hasn't been too challenging to balance them both. I take about 3 hours a semester (more during the summer) since this is considered full time for the dual MPH and all my courses have been virtual. I usually spend a few hours on sundays doing the assignments and have been successful thus far. Personally, I wanted to be done with all schooling at the same time which is why I did the MPH during vet school. I'm not familiar with how it would work with a non dual degree (full time status might be different, etc) but I know there are many schools that offer online MPHs.

Reactions: 1 user
The benefit of doing it after school is that you’ll be more sure that that’s the path you’re going to take. People change their minds all of the time in school and it would suck to spend the time, stress and finances for an additional degree that you don’t end up needing or using.

If you do it during school, you’re done with all of your schooling at that time and may be more competitive for the niche rotations/externships.

I'm currently doing the dual MPH degree through Minnesotta. I started during the summer between my 1st and 2nd year and honestly it hasn't been too challenging to balance them both. I take about 3 hours a semester (more during the summer) since this is considered full time for the dual MPH and all my courses have been virtual. I usually spend a few hours on sundays doing the assignments and have been successful thus far. Personally, I wanted to be done with all schooling at the same time which is why I did the MPH during vet school. I'm not familiar with how it would work with a non dual degree (full time status might be different, etc) but I know there are many schools that offer online MPHs.

hey! i just got accepted to a dvm program but it also doesn’t have the dvm/mph dual degree so i was looking for some online programs but there are SO many. How did you decide on Minnesota? Also, if you don’t mind me asking what was the cost after the credits transferred?