Gold teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Gold teeth are so expensive!!! Who will pay??? :smuggrin:

Floating said:
Gold teeth are so expensive!!! Who will pay??? :smuggrin:

You kiddin'? FCC Gold crowns are actually cheaper than PFM crowns!

My dental school charges $275 for an FCC gold crown vs. $333 for a PFM porcelain crown. I love casting the gold crowns myself... I get to keep any of the leftover gold. :D

But what can you do with it? Sell it to a jeweler? Hawk it on a street corner? Ebay?

Or maybe you could fund your retirement with the pile of gold scrap from school. ;)

Heh heh, maybe I can forge a ring out of it... You know, one ring to rule them all. :smuggrin:

Seriously though, the reason why I started casting my own gold crowns was because I got sick and tired of waiting for the school labs to do it-- They take a week, and I usually have to spend 2 hours adjusting the occlusion and the fit is usually too loose. I cast my own crowns in 6 hours from wax-up to final polish, and it always have good margins, good fit, and takes maybe 10 minutes to adjust the occlusion. Them extra pieces of shiny 16-Karat Jelenko medium gold are icing on the cake. :D

UBTom said:
Heh heh, maybe I can forge a ring out of it... You know, one ring to rule them all. :smuggrin:

Seriously though, the reason why I started casting my own gold crowns was because I got sick and tired of waiting for the school labs to do it-- They take a week, and I usually have to spend 2 hours adjusting the occlusion and the fit is usually too loose. I cast my own crowns in 6 hours from wax-up to final polish, and it always have good margins, good fit, and takes maybe 10 minutes to adjust the occlusion. Them extra pieces of shiny 16-Karat Jelenko medium gold are icing on the cake. :D
That's something I'll have to think about doing when I get upstairs to clinic. Once I got the prep & dies made for this onlay I'm (still) working on, the waxing/investing/casting was...well, dangerously close to enjoyable. :D

I do have a question for you, Tom. I cast my #5 MOD onlay last night, and it seats just fine. The cusp margins look good too, but it looks like I've got a little bit of space in both gingival seats...I'm guessing 100 microns or so. I imagine they'll probably let me finish it since it's just a lab project, but what kind of wiggle room do you have, clinically, for margins on casts? Would this thing break down in a week if I cemented into someone's mouth?

Hey guys, speaking about gold crown, yesterday I went to a dental studio and I watch how a gold crown was cast. remember the word arm craker.

Hey Bill,

The perfectionist instructors are always exhorting us to get crown margins under 60um (noticibly less than 1/10 of a millimeter). I guess the smaller the surface area of cement is exposed to the oral cavity, the slower the luting cement will dissolve and the longer it will last. Maybe you can use a ball burnisher and see if the margin can be drawn? That ersatz gold we use in preclinic has some malleability..

I still remember my first casting in pre-clinic lab... Your typical drive-a-truck-through margins. :D :D :D

A while back, a junior at my school showed me the complete denture set he was working on. His patient requested that #9 be gold. A gold tooth...in a denture! Pretty funny if you ask me.