Golden Key Honor Society

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creative-thinker

Reaction score
Is the Golden Key Honor Society Legitimate for Psy.D's to get involved in? Or would you look like an idiot if it was on your C.V or resume?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
usatoday.com/story/college/2017/03/07/how-to-tell-sketchy-honor-societies-from-legitimate-ones/37428417/

Reactions: 1 user
If the goal is to boost your CV, there are countless legitimate local/state/regional/national psych associations to join and participate. Additionally, tons of APA and non-APA interest groups are based on interests, subfield specialities, work settings, etc.

Didn’t look up this one but if the main condition to join is paying a membership fee, then it will probably do more harm than good. Psi Chi was by nomination and only a very small percentage of psych majors at an institution gain membership.

Don't do it, waste of money, and I'd say it cheapens your CV. It distinguishes nothing. If I remember correctly, the only admission criteria is being in the top 15% of your class in GPA and cutting a check. That's a very low bar within the clinical psych applicant pool.

My personal opinion, I would think less of someone who had it on their CV. It tells me that they went to a less competitive graduate school and trying to differentiate themselves with fluff. The top15% of my graduate school class would have consisted of one person. Getting into my grad program was the honor society.

Reactions: 2 users
I think I joined it in undergrad just because it was pretty cheap ($50 I think?) and a floormate was an officer. I think these things are fine to join as an undergrad for social reasons, but aren't going to do squat for a CV.

At the graduate level, I wouldn't even bother listing something like that.