Goljan RR very sparse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramoray

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got done going through the goljan rr neuro chapter along with robbins and brs path to compare and i dont know if its just the neuro chapter but goljan seems extremely sparse in detail compared to brs, now i dont know if that is the poitn of the book and i know the guy has taught usmle for years so is that implying that the goljan is the right amt of detail and brs path is too much? i foudn it to be too sparse and i prefer brs path so far or maybe its jsut this chapter, what is the overall concenus form people who have used more of it?

Members don't see this ad.

Ramoray said:
I just got done going through the goljan rr neuro chapter along with robbins and brs path to compare and i dont know if its just the neuro chapter but goljan seems extremely sparse in detail compared to brs, now i dont know if that is the poitn of the book and i know the guy has taught usmle for years so is that implying that the goljan is the right amt of detail and brs path is too much? i foudn it to be too sparse and i prefer brs path so far or maybe its jsut this chapter, what is the overall concenus form people who have used more of it?

I actually find Harrison's very useful for the neuro section.

i haven't taken the boards yet so i have no idea what the right details are, but you're right, brs has details that goljan leaves out and vice versa. brs tends to emphasize histopath details. e.g. "fried egg" appearance. goljan has these too but not to the same extent. i'm sure some of these histopath details will help as clues and stuff, so i'm annotating goljan from brs. also, i don't think it's a matter of brs being more detailed than goljan. like i said, both pick and choose stuff to leave out. i guess that's to be expected in order to fit pathology to under 500 pages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Discobolus said:
No, Harrison's is clearly not enough for the neuro section of step 1. I highly reccomend that Ramoray memorizes this textbook, or at least read it seven times. I think it covers the material at the proper level and will help one emphasize understanding over memorization.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_7/102-2760340-3884102?v=glance&s=books

I have actually read that and it is a good book; harrisons actually also has a surprisingly complete well written neuro section taht i did read through 2 times for my neuro section in 2nd year but the understanding is there for me after a thorough study, i just want a review to spur on my memory so maybe ill stick to my brs neuro with path as goljan is too sparse for every a review.. For those who havent and would like a nice read of neuro if you are interested in the field of neurology follow that link and i highly recomend taht book, its one of the better readable neurology texts out there. However back to the thread-goljan still remains sparse, even if it is for strictly review.

I was of course joking, but if you've actually read that book I commend you. Are you interested in neurology? High-Yield Neuroanatomy is actually a pretty good book. Same author as the BRS but with more pictures. I think Goljans book leaves out a lot of lower yield information but it does a good job of integrating across subjects, especially if you follow it along with his lecture series. I'm going to try to get through it once before I take the Comprehensive Basic Science NBME next Thursday. We'll see how much it helps.

Ramoray said:
I have actually read that and it is a good book; harrisons actually also has a surprisingly complete well written neuro section taht i did read through 2 times for my neuro section in 2nd year but the understanding is there for me after a thorough study, i just want a review to spur on my memory so maybe ill stick to my brs neuro with path as goljan is too sparse for every a review.. For those who havent and would like a nice read of neuro if you are interested in the field of neurology follow that link and i highly recomend taht book, its one of the better readable neurology texts out there. However back to the thread-goljan still remains sparse, even if it is for strictly review.