Goljan+UW+FA :Is it enough nw? 1.5 months to go...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalrex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!
Im taming the beast by 1st June and my strategy now focuses on completing Goljan RR Path with audio.Im also doin FA n UWorld simultaneously.Gonna do this until end of this month and then give a NBME exam 1st May ( I don't know which form???)

Is this a good plan??

I am staying away from Kaplan video n notes.

May will be devoted to some strengthening n repeat of U world,I have done almost 15% of it by now.

Gimme yr invaluable feedback plz!:)

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

After going through CMMRS, BRS Phys, RR biochem and HY neuro/behavioral I honestly think that >90% of the material is somewhere in RR path or FA. I annotated everything from these sources that was not in FA into it and I think that you can eliminate the first three and not miss out on too much. HY neuro/behavioral had a lot more than was present in FA, although I have been told that they are overkill.

hey, i took the exam yday. Most 90% of the material is in first aid and DIT--you can memorize everything in there and still do average...the test really likes mechanisms which the FA does not have.

hey, i took the exam yday. Most 90% of the material is in first aid and DIT--you can memorize everything in there and still do average...the test really likes mechanisms which the FA does not have.

What was your method of learning the mechanisms? Did you already have a good grasp from school or did you go with RR or the audio?

BTW--did you think DIT explained the mechanisms at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
man goljan audio is freaking clutch, i had a few questions that were nearly verbatim from his audio. His audio is excellent for mechanisms--i think most of it comes from a good grasp in basic sciences thuogh. Even then if you do goljan audio and read his book, you will be golden!

From all the UW questions and NBME questions I've done, I agree with Coolguy in terms of knowing the mechanisms as KEY for the test. They rarely ask you about diseases straight up but will want you to relate the mechanism of a disease to another (eg: ITP is related to Hashimoto Thyroiditis because they are both Type 2 hypersensitivity).

FA does this to some extent where they'll mention one has AB against TSH receptors and another has AB against platelet receptors but it won't make this connection for you. Goljan will.

What was your method of learning the mechanisms? Did you already have a good grasp from school or did you go with RR or the audio?

BTW--did you think DIT explained the mechanisms at all?

BTW DrVanNostran, whenever I see your icon (avatar) on SDN and scroll by it quickly, I always do a double take because it just looks like a turd. just fyi :laugh:

I heard the following when talking to a group of 3rd year students:

Memorize FA === 240
Memorize FA + basic understanding of RR === 245
Memorize FA + RR + qbank === 250
All of that AND understand disease mechanisms === 255

Is that at least moderately accurate?

no.

I think it's a matter of how you use the material. Memorizing FA...personally, I don't think is a good use of your time. A college student can memorize FA and I don't think he or she is capable of getting a 240 on the step 1's. I think understanding mechanisms, if anything, is what will take you far. FA is a good summary of frequently associated diseases and pathologies but without understanding how it works, you're not going to get the question correct. There are a few typical presentation questions but most of it requires some level of understanding and thought.

If you understand and memorzie FA then 240+ fo shizzle.

BTW DrVanNostran, whenever I see your icon (avatar) on SDN and scroll by it quickly, I always do a double take because it just looks like a turd. just fyi :laugh:

I should either change my name to Dr. Turdakistan or Put a picture of Kramer (Seinfeld) in my avatar:p

Exactly. I don't know what people mean by memorize, but if you could sit down and explain every single thing in First Aid to a classmate from memory (expanding upon it, etc.) I think you would get an unreal score.

I think when people say "know everything in FA" or "just memorize FA" there is the assumption that you memorization, means understanding FA also. To memorize a book of lists without any understanding would be way to hard.

Goljan and First Aid will get the job done. Since you're short on time, focus your energy on these 2 resources. I personally use Kaplan books and I think they're great (most of them at least), but they take a lot more time, and with only 1.5 months left, I wouldn't recommend you use Kaplan.

It seems like my whole class plans on doing everything you listed. Seriously, how many med students do you know AREN'T planning on covering all their bases with these prime sources.

I heard the following when talking to a group of 3rd year students:

Memorize FA === 240
Memorize FA + basic understanding of RR === 245
Memorize FA + RR + qbank === 250
All of that AND understand disease mechanisms === 255

Is that at least moderately accurate?

All the people I know personally who have scored above 260 have kept similar frameworks. A couple worked off of FA, Goljan Audio a Qbank (which one varied) with very sparse supplementary material beyond that (Micro made ridiculously simple for weaknesses, BRS path...it varied, but it was always a secndary source). Others had slight variations (FA, Goljan audio, RR) but none used a lot of sources and ALL said memorize FA.

Goljan and First Aid will get the job done. Since you're short on time, focus your energy on these 2 resources. I personally use Kaplan books and I think they're great (most of them at least), but they take a lot more time, and with only 1.5 months left, I wouldn't recommend you use Kaplan.

When u say "get the job done", do u mean it will help me get 240+ atleast? Im aiming to ace the exam , with a 250+....will this suffice? I did do BRS Path,physio n some kap earlier,,,maybe around Jan but im not readin em thru again.