Goljan's opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDylan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Goljan know what a popular bootleg item his audio is? I'd like to hear his opinion as I would assume it to be colorful. I would then like to befriend Dr. Goljan, have dinner with his family, and pet his dog. This would lead into regular email banter until he invited me to join him in running a marathon. Then, mid-marathon run, I'd drop trou in some dude's yard, crap in his bushes and use his own hose as a makeshift bidet.

Members don't see this ad.

BDylan said:
Does Goljan know what a popular bootleg item his audio is? I'd like to here his opinion as I would assume it to be colorful. I would then like to befriend Dr. Goljan, have dinner with his family, and pet his dog. This would lead into regular email banter until he invited me to join him in running a marathon. Then, mid-marathon run, I'd drop trou in some dude's yard, crap in his bushes and use his own hose as a makeshift bidet.

He told us in class that he will eventually "get" those people that sell his audio illegally.

He obviously has a very low opinion of them.

BDylan said:
Does Goljan know what a popular bootleg item his audio is? I'd like to here his opinion as I would assume it to be colorful. I would then like to befriend Dr. Goljan, have dinner with his family, and pet his dog. This would lead into regular email banter until he invited me to join him in running a marathon. Then, mid-marathon run, I'd drop trou in some dude's yard, crap in his bushes and use his own hose as a makeshift bidet.

Yes, but would he look over at you while you are taking a piss after the marathon and comment on the hemoglobin in your urine?

I think that his audios and the resulting popularity/exposure are one of the main reasons people buy his books.

Members don't see this ad :)
beastmaster said:
I think that his audios and the resulting popularity/exposure are one of the main reasons people buy his books.

The availability of these materials could also be the reason people don't buy his books.

I thought his audio was awesome.....so I went ahead and bought the book to go along w/ it....the free audio was a great advertising ploy by goljan...jk jk...but I agree that his books are probably more popular bc his audio is so widely spread around...

A while back, I was thinking that Goljan might have put out the bookleg himself to promote his materials. You have to hand it to this guy, he's an institution. There's Kaplan on side side and there's Goljan on the other. He most probably achieved such rock star status when people heard his audios and spread the word for him. A book can't do that, only an audio or video can. I'm going to buy the book soon myself because I want to complement the audio. I never would have done so if I hadn't heard the audio, so really it works out well for everyone in the end.

As for Goljan getting angry about it, if I could have met him face to face, I'd tell him that I bought his book and that his audio made me a better doctor. I'm sure he's helped thousands of medical students/doctors in a similar way.

OSUdoc08 said:
He told us in class that he will eventually "get" those people that sell his audio illegally.

He obviously has a very low opinion of them.

Good luck. Too bad it's free.

Pox in a box said:
Good luck. Too bad it's free.

It's being sold on several websites, but thanks for your always useful contributions to everything I post.

Where can one get the Goljan audio? I've heard so much about them and I'm starting my USMLE prep now (we're in the middle of our path course).

Mephisto said:
Where can one get the Goljan audio? I've heard so much about them and I'm starting my USMLE prep now (we're in the middle of our path course).

It is not available legally, due to copyright laws.

OSUdoc08 said:
It's being sold on several websites, but thanks for your always useful contributions to everything I post.

Either way, it's free on multiple websites...Goljan can't go after people he can't see or hear. Why doesn't he just make a real DVD and sell it. He'd make so much more money and then you'd have no more complaints.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pox in a box said:
Either way, it's free on multiple websites...Goljan can't go after people he can't see or hear. Why doesn't he just make a real DVD and sell it. He'd make so much more money and then you'd have no more complaints.

I'm sure his goal in life is to make lots of money.

:thumbdown:

OSUdoc08 said:

If it's not, then by extension (based on his perceived niceness), his goal would be to positively impact as many med students as possible. The audios make that happen.

There isn't another author of medical review books so well-received and iconized after only writing a book. His voice and his cunning gave him the recognition, not words slapped together into a book or set of notes.

OSUdoc08 said:
If everyone did well, then everyone would be at the same disadvantage as if everyone did poorly.

I think most decent people would agree that the important thing is that students learn the material. After all the USMLE (or the beloved COMLEX in your case) was intended to guage a minimum level of competency, not to be used as selective criteria.

You of all people should know about doing poorly on standardized tests :laugh:

RexMorganMD said:
I think most decent people would agree that the important thing is that students learn the material. After all the USMLE (or the beloved COMLEX in your case) was intended to guage a minimum level of competency, not to be used as selective criteria.

You of all people should know about doing poorly on standardized tests :laugh:

Oh yeah?

Why is that?

OSUdoc08 said:

Nice try. If his interests are not to make money, why did the book I bought with his name on it cost $32.95?

P.S. There's nothing wrong with making money. His DVDs would sell for a huge amount with plenty of success. My theory is that he doesn't do this because then he wouldn't be able to hold your attention in his class and he would be expendable.

Pox in a box said:
Nice try. If his interests are not to make money, why did the book I bought with his name on it cost $32.95?

P.S. There's nothing wrong with making money. His DVDs would sell for a huge amount with plenty of success. My theory is that he doesn't do this because then he wouldn't be able to hold your attention in his class and he would be expendable.

All RR review books cost about the same, whether his name is on it or not. Don't individualize it to him.

OSUdoc08 said:
All RR review books cost about the same, whether his name is on it or not. Don't individualize it to him.

By your point, he should just give his notes for the cost of printing them via Xerox machine (probably at most 10 dollars).

Pox in a box said:
By your point, he should just give his notes for the cost of printing them via Xerox machine (probably at most 10 dollars).

I'm not clear how constantly arguing with me is helpful.

Shouldn't you being on a rotation or something?

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm not clear how constantly arguing with me is helpful.

Shouldn't you being on a rotation or something?

How is consistently not promoting free available materials helpful? Anyway, we can agree to disagree. I might also be upset if I had to pay for listening to lectures when it's available elsewhere for free. I see your point. Let's bury the hatchet. No hard feelings. :thumbup:

Pox in a box said:
How is consistently not promoting free available materials helpful? Anyway, we can agree to disagree. I might also be upset if I had to pay for listening to lectures when it's available elsewhere for free. I see your point. Let's bury the hatchet. No hard feelings. :thumbup:

You know as well as I do that this is a violation of copyright laws.

OSUdoc08 said:
You know as well as I do that this is a violation of copyright laws.

not if the material is NOT copyrighted. these lectures were bootlegged off some kaplan lectures.

highly unlikely that they were copyrighted.

OSUdoc08 said:

Then why is he out to "get" others?

Anyhow, you're right about the copyright violation. Even if the materials are available for free online, the original author---or possibly the institution---is the copyright holder.

The audio isn't from a Kaplan lecture. He says in the begining, "you don't do Kaplan, you do this" which indicates that he hadn't joined Kaplan yet.

Incidently, he joined Kaplan in 1999 according to his website.

woowoo said:
not if the material is NOT copyrighted. these lectures were bootlegged off some kaplan lectures.

highly unlikely that they were copyrighted.

They were.

DrPak said:
The audio isn't from a Kaplan lecture. He says in the begining, "you don't do Kaplan, you do this" which indicates that he hadn't joined Kaplan yet.

Incidently, he joined Kaplan in 1999 according to his website.

No, he was saying that Kaplan would like you to use Barone's crappy notes. He gives his notes instead. The lectures are Kaplan. The only thing that is "copyrighted" are Goljan's physical notes, not the audio. There is no way to verify that it is in fact the Oklahoma State University professor speaking.

Pox in a box said:
No, he was saying that Kaplan would like you to use Barone's crappy notes. He gives his notes instead. The lectures are Kaplan. The only thing that is "copyrighted" are Goljan's physical notes, not the audio. There is no way to verify that it is in fact the Oklahoma State University professor speaking.

It may not be copyrighted, but it was recorded without his permission. Still illegal.

OSU, just curious, have you ever downloaded a song off the internet without paying for it?

DOctorJay said:
OSU, just curious, have you ever downloaded a song off the internet without paying for it?

Relevance?

Only Jesus wasn't a sinner.

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm not here to impress you.

Congratulations on your success.

Are you related to Goljan? if not then turn off your computer and spend some time on the beach.

Life's too short to act as you do.

LifeLongPassion said:
Congratulations on your success.

Are you related to Goljan? if not then turn off your computer and spend some time on the beach.

Life's too short to act as you do.

No, but he's sitting next to me right now.

Perhaps those that continuously insult me instead of contribute to the thread can heed your advice.

OSUdoc08 said:

Perhaps those that continuously insult me instead of contribute to the thread can heed your advice.

Tell him the west coast loves him (and his audios).

peace

OSUdoc08 said:

If you went to another school would you download Goljan audio? Say "No" and we'll all know you're full of crap...

Tell him the drrrty south loves him as well.

BlackNDecker said:
If you went to another school would you download Goljan audio? Say "No" and we'll all know you're full of crap...

Tell him the drrrty south loves him as well.

Nope, I'm a visual learner.

I was just saying that he's basically criticising many people in his multiple posts for downloading material illegally and he admits to doing it himself.

Pot: "Hey kettle, you're black"

-J

Status
Not open for further replies.