-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Good Books to Read?
Started by Avengerz
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted407021
Any particular genres?
Hi, I have some free time this summer and I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on reading material?
Right now I'm just looking at reading something that is both at a moderate difficulty and enjoyable.
Game of thrones maybe?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to avoid things like 'The Economist', was reading it for a bit and it got boring after a while. So I'm open to any suggestions right now!Any particular genres?
Haha, I'm actually reading that right now - I never knew that the writing style would be in their 'old english' as wellGame of thrones maybe?
D
deleted407021
I always recommend The Belgariad and the Iron Tower Trilogy as far as fantasy goes. The first one, especially, would keep you busy for a while.So I'm open to any suggestions right now!
Dig these:
Amazon product ASIN 125006581X
Amazon product ASIN 0393319806
Anything by Bernard Cornwell
Amazon product ASIN 125006581X
Amazon product ASIN 0393319806
Anything by Bernard Cornwell
Hi, I have some free time this summer and I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on reading material?
Right now I'm just looking at reading something that is both at a moderate difficulty and enjoyable.
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
In high school I read this book called Garden of Beasts. Really enjoyed that one.
Here's a couple of interesting books recommended to me by applicants who were interviewed in 2008-2009:
Death Foretold by Nicholas A. Christakis (about making and communicating prognosis)
Knife Man by Wendy Moore (about John Hunter, eighteenth century British surgeon-scientist-- you can check out the table on contents on Amazon and you may be hooked!])
For a previous (ancient) thread on books some of us have enjoyed, see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293681
post 197 on page 4 of that thread has a good overall list.
Death Foretold by Nicholas A. Christakis (about making and communicating prognosis)
Knife Man by Wendy Moore (about John Hunter, eighteenth century British surgeon-scientist-- you can check out the table on contents on Amazon and you may be hooked!])
For a previous (ancient) thread on books some of us have enjoyed, see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293681
post 197 on page 4 of that thread has a good overall list.
Last edited:
Books I've read relatively recently or are on my must-read list:
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss (series)
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss (series)
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
If you are a Classics person, I'd suggest:
The Iliad by Homer
The Odyssey by Homer
The Aeneid by Virgil
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Billy Budd, Sailor by Herman Melville
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Even those they are popular, I believe they are all good reads and very important to have read at some point in time!! 🙂
The Iliad by Homer
The Odyssey by Homer
The Aeneid by Virgil
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Billy Budd, Sailor by Herman Melville
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Even those they are popular, I believe they are all good reads and very important to have read at some point in time!! 🙂
If you are a Classics person, I'd suggest:
The Iliad by Homer
The Odyssey by Homer
The Aeneid by Virgil
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Billy Budd, Sailor by Herman Melville
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Even those they are popular, I believe they are all good reads and very important to have read at some point in time!! 🙂
The Iliad by Homer
The Odyssey by Homer
The Aeneid by Virgil
Worst books ever to read in Latin , we were forced to read excerpts in Latin.
The Iliad by Homer
The Odyssey by Homer
The Aeneid by Virgil
Worst books ever to read in Latin , we were forced to read excerpts in Latin.
Oh I loved reading and translating those books in Latin! I took 8 years of Latin and really enjoyed it. It was super time consuming though. :/
I am currently reading a book called "When Helping Hurts: How to alleviate poverty without hurting the poor ... or yourself". This is an book and I strongly recommend anyone interested in medical missions or working with the undeserved to read this book.
Amazon product ASIN 0802409989
Amazon product ASIN 0802409989
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just finished Farenheit 451 after all these years having the book from my brother in high school. It was pretty good.
Currently working through "The Worldly Philosphers" by Robert Heilbroner. It's a fantastic read about the history of the great economists throughout history. It's written extremely conversationally especially for an economics book.
Currently working through "The Worldly Philosphers" by Robert Heilbroner. It's a fantastic read about the history of the great economists throughout history. It's written extremely conversationally especially for an economics book.
Actually just read Farenheit 451 as well! It's been sitting on my shelf for quite a while but I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.
A few books that I checked out from the library a couple weeks ago:
- Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Lord of the Flies - William Golding
- For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
- Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
- Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
A few books that I checked out from the library a couple weeks ago:
- Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Lord of the Flies - William Golding
- For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
- Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
- Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Actually just read Farenheit 451 as well! It's been sitting on my shelf for quite a while but I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.
A few books that I checked out from the library a couple weeks ago:
- Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Lord of the Flies - William Golding
- For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
- Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
- Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
OMG same. Yeah, was sitting on my shelf for a good seven or eight years, finally did it!
Also Brave New World is great. Lord of the Flies was okay, but I read it in eighth grade so perhaps it would be better a second time.
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Thought-provoking and I loved the story. I have read it several times. First time in high school, then for a class in college. Then I read it summer before medical school. I loved the range of topics that were discussed and provided many POVs that have given me new views on the world.
EDIT: damn someone beat me to the punch!
EDIT: damn someone beat me to the punch!
I liked The Strain trilogy
Just finished The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales.... by Sam Kean. A friend recommended it, and it was a great read for anyone who actually enjoys the science, in particular, chemistry, since this is all about the periodic table! Quite interesting!
Intern by Sandeep Jauhar if you're looking for something medicine related
"Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracey Kidder.
Don't be turned off by the cheesy title, it won a Pulitzer Prize. This book is about the super doctor Paul Farmer.
After reading this book, I immediately read it again. This book radically changed my view of healthcare and opened my eyes to the lack of access most people have to it.
Don't be turned off by the cheesy title, it won a Pulitzer Prize. This book is about the super doctor Paul Farmer.
After reading this book, I immediately read it again. This book radically changed my view of healthcare and opened my eyes to the lack of access most people have to it.
Intern by Sandeep Jauhar if you're looking for something medicine related
I just bought this-- glad to get a recommendation for it.
Others that are somewhat medically related:
House of God by Samuel Shem
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
God and the Multiverse was awesome!!!
Just finished Plainsong by Kent Haruf. I highly recommend it. There are a few scenes with a doctor who does a pretty nice job of being a doctor but he's a minor character. It is set in late twentieth century rural Colorado.
My recently read/will be read. They're all medically related books but still great reads about our healthcare system and policy.
How We Do Harm by Otis Brawley
Doctored by Sandeep Jauhar
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
Less Medicine, More Health by Gilbert Welch
How We Do Harm by Otis Brawley
Doctored by Sandeep Jauhar
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
Less Medicine, More Health by Gilbert Welch
The Martian by Andy Weir. About an astronaut marooned on Mars. It will exercise your physics, bio, chem, math and duct tape-using skills. Coming out as a movie soon.
The Martian by Andy Weir. About an astronaut marooned on Mars. It will exercise your physics, bio, chem, math and duct tape-using skills. Coming out as a movie soon.
I was just about to say that 🙂
I had no idea about a movie though. Can't wait!
(with matt damon as the lead actor)I had no idea about a movie though. Can't wait!
Dan Brown.
YES.
,
Last edited:
Someone mentioned Somerset Maugham above. I would recommend "Of Human Bondage" by the same. It's tangentially related to medicine (the protagonist becomes a medical student) but mostly I love it because it perfectly captures being young and lost and trying to figure it all out. Maugham trained as a physician as well but quit medicine as a young man to focus on his writing.
@justmoveonup That was me who recommended Maugham. Of Human Bondage is one of my favorite books ever, but I didn't recommend it because it's so long and kind of... old fashioned? But for people who are into more classic literature, it's great. Would also recommend some Russian lit. The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky, The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov, and Chekov's short stories.
Definitely The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
If you're interested in multi-volume sweeping Chinese literature:
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
The Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh
Journey To the West
Dream of the Red Chamber
I second The Martian, ASIOAF, and The Emperor of All Maladies. I also suggest everything by Khaled Hosseini, everything by Flannery O'Connor, Genghis Khan and Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford, Complications by Atul Gawande, and The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
The Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh
Journey To the West
Dream of the Red Chamber
I second The Martian, ASIOAF, and The Emperor of All Maladies. I also suggest everything by Khaled Hosseini, everything by Flannery O'Connor, Genghis Khan and Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford, Complications by Atul Gawande, and The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.
If you happen to be interested in psychiatry you can read "Shrinks: the Untold Story of Psychiatry" by Jeff Lieberman.
Also I saw someone else wrote it already, but Sam Kean's "The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons" gets my vote as well.
Also I saw someone else wrote it already, but Sam Kean's "The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons" gets my vote as well.
@Cotterpin The Brothers Karamazov is one of my favorite books of all time, along with Of Human Bondage. Looks like 1. we're literature buddies and 2. I need to get around to reading Chekhov. I'll look into Bulgakov as well.
seems like a good thread to ask - there was a book that was about becoming a med student/doctor written by a woman. i read an excerpt and it seemed wickedly funny but for the life of me i cannot remember the book or author! this is really vague but any of you know what i'm talking about?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
seems like a good thread to ask - there was a book that was about becoming a med student/doctor written by a woman. i read an excerpt and it seemed wickedly funny but for the life of me i cannot remember the book or author! this is really vague but any of you know what i'm talking about?
Sounds like you're thinking of This Won't Hurt a Bit (And Other White Lies) by Michelle Au! She also has a blog, titled The Underwear Drawer. She has an exceptional sense of humor.
I'm a fan of anything by Dr. Jerome Groopman. Currently reading The Anatomy of Hope.
Of course, a good medical read is The House of God by Dr. Samuel Shen. It's a hilarious account of residency training.
Thanks for posting this I needed new suggestions as well! I really enjoyed Emperor of all Maladies like others have mentioned fun read and very interesting. 10% Happier by Dan Harris was a good one as well about handling the stress and challenges of life. I'm also big into science fiction and a good classic I think would be the Foundation books by Isaac Asimov
.