-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Good Books to Read?
Started by Avengerz
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Fiction
Song of Ice and Fire series
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Nonfiction
Chasing the Scream: the First & Last Days of the War on Drugs
The Tale of Dueling Neurosurgeons
The Lady & Her Monsters: A Tale of Dissections, Real-Life Dr. Frankensteins
Buzzed: The Straight Facts Used and Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy
Song of Ice and Fire series
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Nonfiction
Chasing the Scream: the First & Last Days of the War on Drugs
The Tale of Dueling Neurosurgeons
The Lady & Her Monsters: A Tale of Dissections, Real-Life Dr. Frankensteins
Buzzed: The Straight Facts Used and Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy
I recently read Plain Song by Kent Haruf. It is fiction, set in the plains of Colorado at the end of the 20th century. There is a physician who is a minor character but it is not a book about medicine. Very much a book about human beings, family and community.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My absolute favorite book: A Life in Surgery, a biography about Harvey Cushing, the "father" of modern neurosurgery.
Now currently reading the biography about Sir William Osler authored by Harvey Cushing himself!
I love biographies of famous physicians.
Now currently reading the biography about Sir William Osler authored by Harvey Cushing himself!
I love biographies of famous physicians.
D
deleted393595
My favorite books are coloring books!
Wait, does that count?
Wait, does that count?
Reread Harry Potter from start to finish.
Also, Being Mortal was good. I read it with my SO, and really liked it.
Also, Being Mortal was good. I read it with my SO, and really liked it.
Currently reading:
- Salt Sugar Fat, by Michael Moss. Great investigative work on the machination of the food industry to get us to eat more - and the consequences. Of public health interest. Would recommend.
- The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. A dystopian fiction novel with great reviews, but I'm finding it dry and spiritless. I doubt I'll have the courage to finish it.
- The Mediation of Marcus Aurelius, by... you know who. Marcus Aurelius would have called himself philosopher foremost and king only by duty, I imagine. Staunch stoic. You could call this his "diary". Very dense, the kind of book that stays on your night stand for years and to which you often come back.
Amazon product ASIN 0321832019My favorite books are coloring books!
Wait, does that count?
But don't pre-study for med school, ok?
D
deleted393595
Amazon product ASIN 0321832019
But don't pre-study for med school, ok?
Don't worry! I'll instead be honing my hand-eye coordination for surgery by coloring inside of the lines!
I started reading Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage after I finished the MCAT last week and I'm blowing through it. Typical fascinating Murakami.
Every since I read a chapter excerpt from it, I was hooked. Absolutely brilliant writing. Now, if only I had the time to read the book.
One of my favorites is The Alchemist. It's short and non-medical.
,
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally, it is summer time and I have time to read, a luxury I have not had the last year with the application cycle busyness. During my last few weeks before entering the "drink from a fire hose" room, I have read Radical: Taking Back your Faith from the American Dream by Dr. David Platt and a biography on Klaus Dieter John, a medical missionary currently working in Peru. I am currently reading Follow Me by Dr. David Platt.
By the way, I recommend this entire series:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5vwt2b4bou_b
By the way, I recommend this entire series:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5vwt2b4bou_b
Any recommendations on books about physicians working in underserved communities. Just finished Forgive and Remember: Managing Medical Failure. Great read.
Last edited:
,
Last edited:
Donald Trump's books are inspirational, uplifting, and provide excellent advice and wisdom to young professionals in any industry. Two of my favorites are his books, Think Big, Kick Ass and Think Like A Champion. Another good book that offers inspiration and a look at snapshots of NYC history is Sonia Sotomayor, The True American Dream. The later is an example of how to tell the story of a high-achieving racial minority female in a humble way that still gives her the credit she deserves and fights any myth of a "free ride."
Drawing from other occupations provides a diversity of thought that can benefit any industry or professional.
Drawing from other occupations provides a diversity of thought that can benefit any industry or professional.
Last edited:
Donald Trump's books are inspirational, uplifting, and provide excellent advice and wisdom to young professionals in any industry. Two of my favorites are his books, Think Big, Kick Ass and Think Like A Champion. Another good book that offers inspiration and a look at snapshots of NYC history is Sonia Sotomayor, The True American Dream. The later is an example of how to tell the story of a high-achieving racial minority female in a humble way that still gives her the credit she deserves and fights any myth of a "free ride."
Drawing from other occupations provides a diversity of thought that can benefit any industry or professional.
Humility should not be considered requisite in telling the story of a minority female, just as it is certainly not in the case of Mr. Trump. The myth of the "free ride" is adequately demolished by the clear underrepresentation of minority females in positions of professional and political power.
I second Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder it's a well written book,
also The emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee was outstanding,
currently, I am reading the first of a three part series of biographies on Winston Churchill The Last lion
and next on my list to read is The history of Madness by Michel Foucault.
also The emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee was outstanding,
currently, I am reading the first of a three part series of biographies on Winston Churchill The Last lion
and next on my list to read is The history of Madness by Michel Foucault.
Any recommendations on books about physicians working in underserved communities. Just finished Forgive and Remember: Managing Medical Failure. Great read.
Not All of Us Are Saints by David Hilfiker
The Lassa Ward - Ross I. Donaldson (serving in Sierra Leone)
Letters to a Young Doctor by Richard Selzer (in particular these short stories: Brute, Imelda, and Toenails)
Last edited:
Some recent reads:
None fiction
-Global Pharmaceuticals: Ethics, Markets, Practices
-Tobacco Capitalism: Growers, Migrant Workers, and the Changing Face of a Global Industry
(book naming conventions in anthropology are actually so ridiculous)
Fiction
-Kafka on the Shore
-The Man with the Compound Eyes
- Kinder than Solitude
Kinder than Solitude hurt me. It's definitely not a feel good read but I loved the pain. It's crazy because the author, Yiyun Li, came to the States for a Ph.D in immunology. Talk about a career changer.
None fiction
-Global Pharmaceuticals: Ethics, Markets, Practices
-Tobacco Capitalism: Growers, Migrant Workers, and the Changing Face of a Global Industry
(book naming conventions in anthropology are actually so ridiculous)
Fiction
-Kafka on the Shore
-The Man with the Compound Eyes
- Kinder than Solitude
Kinder than Solitude hurt me. It's definitely not a feel good read but I loved the pain. It's crazy because the author, Yiyun Li, came to the States for a Ph.D in immunology. Talk about a career changer.
Just read the summary and I can feel the pain coming on already haha. Gonna add that to my goodreads! My reading list is long, my time on Earth is short 🙁@Jaurim Kafka on the Shore!Nice pick! Your description of Kinder than Solitude for some reason made me think of A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe. If you haven't already read that one, you might like it!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OMG "Gifted Hands" by Ben Carson was great! His writing style got a little repetitive but the way he chronicled his amazing life was captivating.
"Final Exam" by Pauline Chen is a great book, talks about her experience with death and dying and mortality throughout her surgical training
"Final Exam" by Pauline Chen is a great book, talks about her experience with death and dying and mortality throughout her surgical training
"Underserved communities" are usually more poor and more impacted by social problems (poverty, crime, drugs, racism etc) than your average group, and the most drastically underserved people are found in low-income countries.Any recommendations on books about physicians working in underserved communities. Just finished Forgive and Remember: Managing Medical Failure. Great read.
10 Lessons in Public Health: Inspiration for Tomorrow's Leaders, by Alfred Sommers, a public health ophthamologist
Just and Lasting Change, by Carl Taylor, who pretty much founded the field of international/global health in the US
Six months in Sudan, by an MSF doctor
The Hospital by the River, about Catherine Hamlin's fistula hospital and medical education programs in Ethiopia.
Walking Together, Walking Far: How a U.S. and African Medical School Partnership Is Winning the Fight against HIV/AIDS - a personal fav, about international clinical/medical education/research partnership
Second Suns: Two Doctors and Their Amazing Quest to Restore Sight and Save Lives, about a HMS and Nepali ophthamology team in Nepal
You could check out Betrayal of Trust, about poor public health policy around the world.
Anything by Paul Farmer.
If you want to get more academic, check out Duke's Social Med Reader.
Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks are a great intro to cross-cultural medicine.
Non-underserved, Saving Sight was a lot of fun and interesting. So is Atul Gawande.
+1Not All of Us Are Saints by David Hilfiker
That's a doubleplusgood book!1984 by George Orwell
- On Doctoring (a collection of short stories and poems, all medicine related, some very thought provoking)
- W;t the play
- Team of Rivals
- Mom's Cancer by Brian Fies
- W;t the play
- Team of Rivals
- Mom's Cancer by Brian Fies
omg matt damon and childish gambinoThe Martian by Andy Weir. About an astronaut marooned on Mars. It will exercise your physics, bio, chem, math and duct tape-using skills. Coming out as a movie soon.
http://courses.ucsd.edu/rhampton/bibc102/
scroll to the end for books he recommends
and the band played on
was a really good book if you're interested in learning about the history if HIV/AIDS
it made me really angry
scroll to the end for books he recommends
and the band played on
was a really good book if you're interested in learning about the history if HIV/AIDS
it made me really angry
- W;t the play
OMG that movie had me in TEARS
For underserved populations, In the real of the hungry ghosts by gabor mate, a physician who worked in vancouver bc's infamous downtown eastside.
Im currently reading the emperor of all maladies- a biograbio of cancer and it's very good and making me consider pursuing oncology
Im currently reading the emperor of all maladies- a biograbio of cancer and it's very good and making me consider pursuing oncology
OMG that movie had me in TEARS
Quite the moving play... the play script makes for a good read
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Martian by Andy Weir. About an astronaut marooned on Mars. It will exercise your physics, bio, chem, math and duct tape-using skills. Coming out as a movie soon.
Just finished this the other day. I'm not so much into the sci-fi thing but I really enjoyed it.
Hi, I have some free time this summer and I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on reading material?
Right now I'm just looking at reading something that is both at a moderate difficulty and enjoyable.
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
3 of my favorite books ever (and I have read a LOT)
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel, historic fantasy set in England during the Napoleonic wars.
The Lies of Locke Lamora, high fantasy about a con-man who finds himself turning into a hero.
Maus, graphic novel and biography. The best non-fic I've ever read.
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel, historic fantasy set in England during the Napoleonic wars.
The Lies of Locke Lamora, high fantasy about a con-man who finds himself turning into a hero.
Maus, graphic novel and biography. The best non-fic I've ever read.
Incognito by David Eagleman
Godel Escher Bach by Hofstadter
Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking by Dennett
On Becoming a Person by Rogers
Godel Escher Bach by Hofstadter
Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking by Dennett
On Becoming a Person by Rogers
Just learned of a new book Black Man in a White Coat by Dr. Damon Tweedy.
He appeared on PBS NewsHour and you can see the interview here:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/doctors-memoir-shows-race-matters-hospital-room/
I previewed the book on Amazon and it looks pretty good. It might be particularly inspirational for men of color who are interested in careers in medicine.
He appeared on PBS NewsHour and you can see the interview here:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/doctors-memoir-shows-race-matters-hospital-room/
I previewed the book on Amazon and it looks pretty good. It might be particularly inspirational for men of color who are interested in careers in medicine.
Nice pick! Your description of Kinder than Solitude for some reason made me think of A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe. If you haven't already read that one, you might like it!