Good DAT, Good GPA Not Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBDent19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested to hear stories from any pre-dental students who have a high GPA (>3.75), high DAT (AA>21) who did not get accepted. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that if you do horribly at your interview you will not get accepted.

how about a 20 on the DAT with zero interviews...

Members don't see this ad :)
A typical school receives around three to four thousand applications per year. The applicants get filtered out by based on numbers. If you have high numbers such as the ones you questioned about and do not get a single interview, then there is a red flag on the application.

how about a 20 on the DAT with zero interviews...

I got 1 interview with a 23. Of course, I only applied to 3 schools so that might be part of the reason. That and my GPA being about as desirable as Quasimodo. :(

I got 1 interview with a 23. Of course, I only applied to 3 schools so that might be part of the reason. That and my GPA being about as desirable as Quasimodo. :(

When did you submit your app last year and where did you apply to/where did you interview at?

I applied to 20+ school, with 22, 0 interview for several reasons: late app, low gpa, low RC score

what was ur rc score?

and damn august is considered late?

When did you submit your app last year and where did you apply to/where did you interview at?

I applied to 20+ school, with 22, 0 interview for several reasons: late app, low gpa, low RC score

I submitted pretty late as well, late August. I've only applied to Texas Schools because of the very limited competition and I interviewed at Baylor. Just one of the limited perks of Texas (summer afternoon feels like Satan's anus but smells like fresh cut grass, always).
Yeah, just as DaveyK said, late submission. I talked with a 4th year (some adcoms have students on their board) and he said schools just stop looking at applications after a certain period, even if it's month ahead of the deadline.
So if anyone is borderline, make sure you release your app in the first week or two of its release. Increases your chances greatly, or at least according to those that I have spoken with.
Did you Vcudental release your app earlier this time around?

I submitted pretty late as well, late August. I've only applied to Texas Schools because of the very limited competition and I interviewed at Baylor. Just one of the limited perks of Texas (summer afternoon feels like Satan's anus but smells like fresh cut grass, always).
Yeah, just as DaveyK said, late submission. I talked with a 4th year (some adcoms have students on their board) and he said schools just stop looking at applications after a certain period, even if it's month ahead of the deadline.
So if anyone is borderline, make sure you release your app in the first week or two of its release. Increases your chances greatly, or at least according to those that I have spoken with.
Did you Vcudental release your app earlier this time around?

Well if you consider august late... then.. i was wayyyy too late. I submitted on Oct 25th... app mailed nov 29 or something lol. low RC=16.

This year i got my app out on the first mailing date, but i am still waiting for LOR from my dentist. and like you said. some schools stop reviewing after some time, i called some schools and they said my app was never read...

A typical school receives around three to four thousand applications per year. The applicants get filtered out by based on numbers. If you have high numbers such as the ones you questioned about and do not get a single interview, then there is a red flag on the application.

What are some examples? You just got me paranoid :(

Did that happen to you? If so, what do you think was the reason?

Yes this happened to me. Low GPA and I applied "Extremely Late". Apparently applying in August, one year before started dental school is way to late (I still do not understand why it takes over a year to choose students). I also didn't retake my DAT until November.

Now I learned my lessons: apply early, get a better GPA

I hope it works!

What are some examples? You just got me paranoid :(

I think these red flags would be a criminal record, cheating in your undergrad, awful letters and personal statement, not knowing how to fill out an application, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
On behalf of all the people posting here without 3.7+ GPA's, I would like to apologize to Rickbhill. We didn't intend to hijack the thread. But if it helps, it does of course help us get through these depressing times if we imagine that we do in fact have a 3.75. :(

Besides the obvious reasons like criminal record and lack of social skills, there could be few more factors to consider:

1. They are international students or Canadians applying for US schools.

2. They went to a grade-inflated universities or even colleges.

3. They lied on the stats.

4. Their courseload was very low.

5. PS was really badly written.

I think there are more..

Can you give some examples of grade-inflated universities?

I am not totally sure, I have never done an extensive research on the subject, but I know that CSU's, Stanford, Harvard, and many other private schools have a lot of grade inflation going on.

Grade inflation may happen, but I doubt it makes any significant difference in admissions. We all have to take the DAT and that acts as the equalizer between all undergrad schools. Prove your GPA isn't a fluke by doing well on the DAT and you're good to go.

I am not totally sure, I have never done an extensive research on the subject, but I know that CSU's, Stanford, Harvard, and many other private schools have a lot of grade inflation going on.

most ppl who go to stanford/harvard are rly bright anyways so the grade inflation makes sense.

most ppl who go to stanford/harvard are rly bright anyways so the grade inflation makes sense.

No, not true at all. My high school pumped out 3 harvards and 7 stanfords. They aren't so called "smart," but they just put much more effort and are value academics very much.

High school, as you probably know, is a piece of cake, and anyone can get into any school if they tried hard enough (studying an hour a day and reviewing/previewing/etc). Where you go for undergrad doesn't mean much, since it really isn't the brightest people who gets into those top schools.

Now, for grad schools, it actually matters and the brightest will get into the top schools.

Stanford, for example, has so much funding, they have school based tutors almost 1:1 ratio. You can get tutored as much as you want, and they are not even undergraduate student tutors, but grad or privately hired tutors with great teaching skills.

I also heard the professors bump up grades if you ask them to do it. Personally, my home is 5 min away walking from Stanford and whenever I go back home I talk to my friends who are currently going to Stanford, and in their core science classes, final retakes are pretty common. Not to mention 30-40% gets As.

No, not true at all. My high school pumped out 3 harvards and 7 stanfords. They aren't so called "smart," but they just put much more effort and are value academics very much.

High school, as you probably know, is a piece of cake, and anyone can get into any school if they tried hard enough (studying an hour a day and reviewing/previewing/etc). Where you go for undergrad doesn't mean much, since it really isn't the brightest people who gets into those top schools.

Now, for grad schools, it actually matters and the brightest will get into the top schools.

i disagree, this is greatly exaggerated... unless all 10 of these students are URMs... i don't think they will have gotten in those schools just by working hard...
to get in to top schools as a non-minority student, you need to hit top 1%tile in all testing/class rank and have done a lot of extracurricular activity. Where you do your undergrad means everything! And everyone usually get in to those schools having achieved something truly extraordinary.

To many of those students, standardize testing is a joke, that's why everyone who graduate from those schools have high DAT and MCAT scores despite what their gpa maybe. Now, even among them, there are people who don't get A's, to me that is grade DEFLATION, not inflation... If you took any NON minority harvard/stanford student, and threw him/her in a regular state school(not UVA, UCBerk, UCLA), that person will get 4.0, w/o a doubt!

i disagree, this is greatly exaggerated... unless all 10 of these students are URMs... i don't think they will have gotten in those schools just by working hard...
to get in to top schools as a non-minority student, you need to hit top 1%tile in all testing/class rank and have done a lot of extracurricular activity. Where you do your undergrad means everything! And everyone usually get in to those schools having achieved something truly extraordinary.

To many of those students, standardize testing is a joke, that's why everyone who graduate from those schools have high DAT and MCAT scores despite what their gpa maybe. Now, even among them, there are people who don't get A's, to me that is grade DEFLATION, not inflation... If you took any NON minority harvard/stanford student, and threw him/her in a regular state school(not UVA, UCBerk, UCLA), that person will get 4.0, w/o a doubt!

those are probably the worst state schools to use to support your argument...

those are probably the worst state schools to use to support your argument...

He was excluding them from his point, not including.

I go to a state school (SUNY Binghamton) and it is definitely not easy to get A's unless you have a cake major. It's especially hard in science classes. I doubt it would be that much easier here than at an ivy. (well certain classes yeah)...But, I took my physics class this summer at a city school (CUNY baruch) and it is ridiculously easy and dumbed down. 17/25 questions would give you 100%. So the undergrad school you attend definitely matters when it comes to whether your high GPA is legit or not.

I go to a state school (SUNY Binghamton) and it is definitely not easy to get A's unless you have a cake major. It's especially hard in science classes. I doubt it would be that much easier here than at an ivy. (well certain classes yeah)...But, I took my physics class this summer at a city school (CUNY baruch) and it is ridiculously easy and dumbed down. 17/25 questions would give you 100%. So the undergrad school you attend definitely matters when it comes to whether your high GPA is legit or not.

There are huge differences in a variety of schools that I won't name. I took Orgo outside my main university. Main Uni= 100 kids bell curve, 5 kids A's, average distribution ranged from A to F, with many D's, F's . Outside uni= top 20% A's rest b's and 'cs, No D or F except one or two kids.

I'm currently taking Genetics at an outside UNI.

My genetics class AVG in outside UNI is a 93.5. Lowest score is a 75.

My genetics class AVG at my main uni is a 70. Highest usually maxes at 95.

There are "easier" and "harder" universities. Am I going to cry about it? Nope, its just a fact of life.

There are "easier" and "harder" universities. Am I going to cry about it? Nope, its just a fact of life.

For those that are reading about this and aren't applying this year...do your HOMEWORK. Don't take OCHEM at your uni if its redic hard. Don't take Genetics/biochem etc etc if its redic hard. Take it at an easier uni. QUOTE]

Schools will of course give value to a top 100 public university over an easier one, say a community college. A "harder" 3.5 will be better than an "easier" 4.0. But it does kind of suck. People who can go to these "harder" colleges can also do so in part because they can afford it. So that deserves some attention as well.

As for the second part, I completely disagree. You can't cop out and take one of the BCP courses at a smaller easier university because it is easier. The Adcoms will take notice because they want to see you performing at your main school.

For those that are reading about this and aren't applying this year...do your HOMEWORK. Don't take OCHEM at your uni if its redic hard. Don't take Genetics/biochem etc etc if its redic hard. Take it at an easier uni. QUOTE]

Schools will of course give value to a top 100 public university over an easier one, say a community college. A "harder" 3.5 will be better than an "easier" 4.0. But it does kind of suck. People who can go to these "harder" colleges can also do so in part because they can afford it. So that deserves some attention as well.

As for the second part, I completely disagree. You can't cop out and take one of the BCP courses at a smaller easier university because it is easier. The Adcoms will take notice because they want to see you performing at your main school.

O trust me. The uni I took it at is ranked alot higher then the one I mainly attend. I'm not talking about CC's. :p I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's all relative and thats why you should do your homework ;p

I got 22TS/22AA/22PAT/22RC no section below 20, with a 3.6/3.6 sGPA/GPA. I didn't get in anywhere and applied early, although there was a problem my university created unbeknownst to me that I don't wish to expound upon for privacy reasons. It has since been remedied for this current cycle. I was hoping to get an interview at Harvard or see if I could get that massive scholarship at Penn; never had I imagined I wouldn't get in anywhere. (Not that anyone is a shoe-in, but I figured appling a lot of places early with my stats that I would be fine). So that was quite a shock and fairly depressing, but its only one more year, and goes to show that a high GPA & DAT are not guarantees.

O trust me. The uni I took it at is ranked alot higher then the one I mainly attend. I'm not talking about CC's. :p I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's all relative and thats why you should do your homework ;p

Oh, okay, forgive me Sir/ Madame Rainee. I thought you were one of those individuals who so feared O. Chem that they fled to the safety of a community college. Oh, how I so hated O. Chem. /shivers

But yes, to all the other kiddies, take your pre-reqs that you will see on your DAT (take physics elsewhere, if possible) at your main university or do as Mr./Miss Rainee had and take it at an ever harder college. The schools will smell your cowardice.

I got 22TS/22AA/22PAT/22RC no section below 20, with a 3.6/3.6 sGPA/GPA. I didn't get in anywhere and applied early, although there was a problem my university created unbeknownst to me that I don't wish to expound upon for privacy reasons. It has since been remedied for this current cycle. I was hoping to get an interview at Harvard or see if I could get that massive scholarship at Penn; never had I imagined I wouldn't get in anywhere. (Not that anyone is a shoe-in, but I figured appling a lot of places early with my stats that I would be fine). So that was quite a shock and fairly depressing, but its only one more year, and goes to show that a high GPA & DAT are not guarantees.

DING, DING, DING!!! :thumbup: We have our first winner. You, Sir/Ma'am, are the first to actually come remotely close to the requirements of the high GPA/high DAT thread.

Okay, back to you. Well, how were you all-around (EC's, shadowing, LOR's, personal statement)?

DING, DING, DING!!! :thumbup: We have our first winner. You, Sir/Ma'am, are the first to actually come remotely close to the requirements of the high GPA/high DAT thread.

Okay, back to you. Well, how were you all-around (EC's, shadowing, LOR's, personal statement)?

Thank you for reclaiming the thread! I know criminal records and cheating will prevent a high DAT/high GPA from getting you in, but I would like to know if any schools denied people because of less obvious reasons. Thanks!

Lol ok well I had no criminal record or cheating dude

What kind of criminal record keeps you out of dental school? Just violent and drug related or do traffic violations count?

I don't think traffic violations count, or else AADSAS won't even let me apply. :)

I think they are looking for convicted felon.

I don't think traffic violations count, or else AADSAS won't even let me apply. :)

I think they are looking for convicted felon.

Traffic violations do show up on the background check. Though one or two may be okay, if you have tons of them, it may be problematic.

They even see the parking tickets.

Last edited:
Traffic violations does show up on the background check. Though one or two may be okay, if you have tons of them, it may be problematic.

They even see the parking tickets.

Traffic violations and parking tickets are fine regardless of the amount.

3.6, 22AA, 23pat...

rejected from my state school because I applied middle of August (which was apparently too late)

rejected from colorado because I don't live in colorado
Colorado accepts out of staters....

A lot of people with high stats that do not get accepted may have the personality of a door nail. They might lack the people person skill. Or, I remember back when I had my Tufts interview, the lady who interviewed me said that she is sick and tired of people who have been fed the golden spoon, those who haven't worked a day in their life. She believed a lot of character was built by doing so, and I strongly agree :thumbup:

Traffic violations and parking tickets are fine regardless of the amount.

All I am saying is that they can see it, and of course, it wouldn't matter if you have a few parking tickets.

But if you have 20-30? What does that tell them about your character?

All I am saying is that they can see it, and of course, it wouldn't matter if you have a few parking tickets.

But if you have 20-30? What does that tell them about your character?

I have gotten around 30-40 parking tickets not because I have bad character. It's because I live in a crowded city where parking is hard to find and appears to look like there are a thousand parking enforcement officers. Also, it's not like I didn't pay for those tickets. If I lived in a small town, of course I would have at most 5 parking tickets but I have no clue how your are trying to correlate number of parking tickets to one's character. Please explain.

Last edited:
lol, parking tickets have nothing to do with character unless you're a reckless driver.

parking tickets aren't that serious of an offense. Something like drunk driving = ban from dental school! :scared:

What kind of criminal record keeps you out of dental school? Just violent and drug related or do traffic violations count?

The #1 reason is because convicted felons cannot become licensed to write prescriptions. They're not going to waste a spot on someone who ultimately cant become a dentist legally.

Other than that, yeah they just want to know what else you've done.