Good GRE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadmaxDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I took the GRE about a month ago and I'm debating wether or not to take it again for this years app cycle. My scores were 155v 152Q 4.0AW. I just want to get some insight as to where I sit with those numbers. I know their not great, but their not terrible either. Anyways, I just don't know if it would be worth the time and money to retake it if I don't have to. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Some of my other stats:
cGPA: 3.3
cGPA(last 60 credits): 3.6 I know some schools use this instead like UCF and UNF
pGPA: 3.5-3.6 (depending on the school)
Observation: 50 outpatient, 150 pediatric/aquatics, 20 inpatient
Applying to: UCF, NOVA, UNF, USF, FGCU, U St Augustine, FIU, Armstrong State, Mercer, Emory

Members don't see this ad.

That's going to depend a lot on the school. If you go to the PTCAS directory of programs you can look at average scores and gpa for a lot of programs. For example, at the school I will be starting at in August the average GRE is a 305 and the average GPA is a 3.7. So your GRE would be about right, but your GPA a bit low. If your schools were similar with numbers you might want to shoot for a higher GRE since that's easier to bring up than a GPA. However, I think there are plenty of schools with somewhat lower averages so it mostly depends on where you are wanting to go. I think plenty of people get in with similar numbers to what you have.

Hey everybody, I took the GRE about a month ago and I'm debating wether or not to take it again for this years app cycle. My scores were 155v 152Q 4.0AW. I just want to get some insight as to where I sit with those numbers. I know their not great, but their not terrible either. Anyways, I just don't know if it would be worth the time and money to retake it if I don't have to. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Some of my other stats:
cGPA(last 60 credits): 3.6 I know some schools use this instead like UCF and UNF
Applying to: UCF, NOVA, UNF, USF, FGCU, U St Augustine, FIU, Armstrong State, Mercer, Emory

For USF you look solid

Check out my blog:hungover:ptknow.tumblr.com

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could certainly call each school and ask how much the weight the GRE and if your score will be an impediment at all or if you shouldn't bother to retake. For PT applicants on the whole you are sitting right around the average. At some specific schools that may still be true, at others you'll be a bit below average but not greatly. Schools vary extremely widely in how much weight they place on the GRE when ranking applicants.

Some of my other stats:
Before you apply to the schools you've listed do yourself a favor and thoroughly research each school. I've posted this advice so much I'm tired of typing the same thing LOL. Make sure the school is a good fit for you and vice versa. Find out how they weigh each category and apply to those that you'll be competitive at. Find out what style of teaching they provide. For example, some people love PBL while others hate it. If you can't find a particular piece of information about a school call them and ask.

If you can afford it I would take it again.

Your scores are probably average to slightly above average for most of the schools you are applying to while your other stats are probably average to below average. With your current stats you could probably get into one or even a few schools on your list, but I think with a higher GRE (310-312, likely retest score due solely to test/retest effect, maybe more with increased prep) you would increase your chances of acceptance and increase your school options in the long run.

IMHO in the relative scheme of things done to to get into a DPT program, retaking the GRE for a second time to get a few extra points is an easy way to strengthen an app. Many people on this forum have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours retaking classes to raise their gpa; $185, a few weeks studying, and a 5 hour test = to0 easy. The school I was accepted to counted the GRE as 2/5 of their point formula, talk about bang for your buck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Did you study for it in the first place? If you had to work really hard to get that score then maybe skip retaking it and put energy somewhere else. If that score was just what you pulled off after a quick refresher, then consider if you would put the time in to make a difference.

Thanks everybody, I called a few of these schools and they've all said essentially what you guys are telling me, that retaking it one more time and trying to get maybe five points hire could definitely help. So, just got to put the time/money in and get it done. Still cheaper than retaking a class though. Thanks guys for your help!

So I posted this thread a while back, and just wanted to recommend some good gre prep now that I have retaken the test. I retook the test yesterday, and scored a 316 (157v, 159Q). I used magoosh, along with Princeton review (mostly just for the practice tests). But the magoosh lessons are awesome, especially the math ones, and if you follow their YouTube channel they do a vocab Wednesday every week which is pretty cool. Anyways, magoosh helped me a lot and I would definitely suggest it to anyone looking to improve their score.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your score! You improved it a lot.