Good Idea to contact professors you'd like to work with? (For MPH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eek_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm going to attend graduate school for my MPH starting summer/fall 2017. I think it is very likely I'll end up at an one-year program. Due to the accelerated nature of the degree, I'd like to plan out as much of my coursework & research out possible beforehand. I'm already thinking of possibly thesis topics (can you tell I'm excited haha).

Is it appropriate to contact professors you would be interested in working with in some capacity -for instance as their research assistant or perhaps you are hoping they will be your thesis/capstone adviser?

My gut reaction tells me there's no harm in trying and conveying interest? What are all of your thoughts? BTW, I wouldn't contact anyone about this topic until I decide on the university I plan on attending as I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you're genuine and mindful of their time, I don't see why not.

I would do it. I've been admitted to Michigan's HMP program, but I've been watching webinar's from current students, and there have been *plenty* of them who got in touch with professors that they wanted to work with. I'm certainly going to do it once I pick a university ( Oh, Michigan, why are you so expensive? :( )

Edit: Nevermind, Michigan's HMP program explicitly told me NOT to contact faculty regarding research before I get there in the fall!

Last edited:
There would be no harm in doing that, but it might a better use of time to contact the head or "student affairs" prof of the MPH faculty. If you have a reasonably clear research question, they can point you to the right person quicker than you digging on your own.