good idea to volunteer at a hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeQ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For extracurricular activities is it a good idea to volunteer at a hospital? Has any accepted applicant volunteered at a hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

If you mean as an optometric assistant, then i think so.

People tend to only goto places like Lenscrafters for quick Rx's. I never interned at commercial but I did at private and hospital.

Private is generally the same, mainly pushing out Rx's and trying to sell glasses, with some occasional problems. But from my personal experiences, the majority of people coming in are just for Comprehensive examninations, contact lens follow ups.
In a hospital, you will get alot more Medicare or Medical (I forget which one it is, that is the one for seniors) patients. You will generally see alot more cases of developing cataracts, dry eyes, diabetes, AMD.
Also, hospitals have equipment (i.e. taking stereo photos, OCT) that not all private practices/commercial practices have because they are usually interwound with the ophthalmology deptarment in hospitals.

I don't know if it will help your chances of getting into a school, but it is definitely a good learning experience (remember to ask the docs lotsa questions). Best of luck to you.

I don't mean as an optometric assistant at an optometry department in a hospital...just volunteer in general at various departments in a hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I didn't volunteer at a hopstial, I did work at one as a CNA on the surgery floor. I got a great deal of patient contact (probably a little too much ;) ) which I think will be useful in the future. Any experience where you get to "smell" patients and work with the public will be helpful. Of course, if you have to do observation for your application, it won't count unless you're observing an optometrist who happens to work in the hospital.

If there is VA hosptial near you try that! I did and it was an amazing experience, they really liked that at my interview also because of all the hands experience I received there. Each VA has an eye clinic (I think) and you get to do a lot more than work with glasses or push papers. But volunteering in hospitals is great because there's a potential for a lot of patient contact...you just have to make sure you're in the right department, etc etc Good luck.