• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

  • How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

    In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think i will be applying to 20. I think thats quite a bit but the idea of having to reapply doesnt sit well with me. Also, I have FAP so it really isnt costing me too much out of pocket for primaries/secondaries. Input?
 

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
1,230
4
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Just be prepared to devote a lot time to filling out a mass-load of secondaries. at least you got FAP!
 

TexasRose

Gotta run
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
10,744
12
where else?
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Cerberus
I think i will be applying to 20. I think thats quite a bit but the idea of having to reapply doesnt sit well with me. Also, I have FAP so it really isnt costing me too much out of pocket for primaries/secondaries. Input?

I think it depends on your numbers and the strength of your app. 20 is a pretty common number, I think. Just don't bother applying to schools you wouldn't actually want to attend.

I've seen lots of people apply to a large number of "safety schools" and then not get accepted to those schools. (maybe it shows in the interview that they weren't genuinely interested) It becomes a waste of time and resources to fill out those secondaries and travel to interviews. On the flip side, if the only school you get is one you don't want, then you have the dilemma of going or deferring and reapplying.

Don't forget your "reach schools," you never know! :)
 
About the Ads

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by TexasRose
I think it depends on your numbers and the strength of your app. 20 is a pretty common number, I think. Just don't bother applying to schools you wouldn't actually want to attend.

I've seen lots of people apply to a large number of "safety schools" and then not get accepted to those schools. (maybe it shows in the interview that they weren't genuinely interested) It becomes a waste of time and resources to fill out those secondaries and travel to interviews. On the flip side, if the only school you get is one you don't want, then you have the dilemma of going or deferring and reapplying.

Don't forget your "reach schools," you never know! :)
]

Yeah, I am only applying to schools I would attend (it was sort of hard to get to 20...). Most of the schools I am applying to are middle tier schools with only maybe 2 or 3 top ten schools (numbers really arent important to me...location, location is tr?s important!). I am still scared since my clinical experience kind of sucks (lots of good athletic EC's....) and my gpa is nothing super impressive - come on MCAT, set my people free!!!
 

TexasRose

Gotta run
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
10,744
12
where else?
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Cerberus
]

Yeah, I am only applying to schools I would attend (it was sort of hard to get to 20...). Most of the schools I am applying to are middle tier schools with only maybe 2 or 3 top ten schools (numbers really arent important to me...location, location is tr?s important!). I am still scared since my clinical experience kind of sucks (lots of good athletic EC's....) and my gpa is nothing super impressive - come on MCAT, set my people free!!!

I have a feeling you will do well, Cerb.

I couldn't come up with 20 schools that I was willing to go to. Locations being a huge factor for me. I think I wound up applying to 10, but a good mix of the tiers.

good luck on the MCAT! :D
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by TexasRose
I have a feeling you will do well, Cerb.

I couldn't come up with 20 schools that I was willing to go to. Locations being a huge factor for me. I think I wound up applying to 10, but a good mix of the tiers.

good luck on the MCAT! :D

God help me 6 weeks!!!!:wow: :wow: :wow: :scared: :scared: :scared:
 

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
4,129
9
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Cerberus
I think i will be applying to 20. I think thats quite a bit but the idea of having to reapply doesnt sit well with me. Also, I have FAP so it really isnt costing me too much out of pocket for primaries/secondaries. Input?

20 sounds good. If you care to talk over some of the schools with someone Id be more than willing to take a looksee, not that I know that much, but sometimes it helps to talk these things over, maybe save some $$$ by avoiding some schools

Gleevec
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
what state you from cerb?

but outside of california...20 is good general number to apply to so you give yourself a shot at the top/middle/safe schools.
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey guys, here is my list right now (in no particular order), I am a TN resident.

1) Umich
2) UTENN
3) Temple
4) Jefferson
5) UVM
6) NYU
7) Rochester
8) NYMC
9) Cornell
10) Columbia
11) Einstein
12) Tulane
13) Northwestern
14) UIC
15) Sinai
16) Wayne State
17) Case Western
18) Emory
19) UCHSC
20) UVA
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
43
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
dont forget that some schools dont accept fee waivers so you may want to check that out when you budget.
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by exmike
dont forget that some schools dont accept fee waivers so you may want to check that out when you budget.

Yeah, I know at least Tulane does not. I am not sure about the others but will start checking when it gets closer to application time.
 

lizzylu

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
111
1
SF
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hi cerebrus,

great list, though one thing to point out. even though you said only a couple top 10 schools, don't underestimate the competitiveness of a school w/in the top 20 or 30. With that said, it looks like you've got at least 12 in your 20.

Sounds good, but if you've got great LORs, ECs and GPA (obviously not MCAT yet), then don't waste too much $ on the back-up schools.

PS. I saved $ on these by not returning my secondary in right away, and then by sept I was getting interview invites and didn't need to bother sending most of my back-ups in

Good luck w/ the MCAT!
 
About the Ads

Tezzie

b*witched
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
1,209
0
Oz
Status (Visible)
I would say ditch Wayne State and UIC. Esp UIC is killer when it comes to out of state tuition. I would say replace UIC with Loyola or UChicago and Wayne State with Ohio State. We've talked about this before in the chat room and i know that location matters to you. So since i don't know what you like the most (apart from A2 that is) - i guess we will talk about it more in the chatroom :p
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Tezzie
I would say ditch Wayne State and UIC. Esp UIC is killer when it comes to out of state tuition. I would say replace UIC with Loyola or UChicago and Wayne State with Ohio State. We've talked about this before in the chat room and i know that location matters to you. So since i don't know what you like the most (apart from A2 that is) - i guess we will talk about it more in the chatroom :p

I think I probably am going to ditch UIC due to tuition (and it seems like I heard they charge for an extra year due to the summer or somehting like that). Wayne state will probably also be taken of my list, mainly because it doesnt look like they are very friendly to out of staters:( As for Ohio state....well, ohio sucks in my opinion...
 

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,721
0
always in the last place i look
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ohio sucks, eh...why i oughta.......oh wait, it does suck. carry on.

seriously, your list looks pretty good. i know you said its hard to come up with a list of 20 schools you'd actually want to go to, and i totally agree. especially being in the midwest, where if you go beyond 7-8 schools the geographical radius your app will be covering gets to be ridiculous. my list is only about 10 as of now. it will change.

by the way, get off SDN, cerb, your paranoid ass needs to work that MCAT shizzy!
 

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
4,129
9
Status (Visible)
Doesnt NYMC have some in-state quota that is quite high? Might want to check that, Im not sure.

Any reason no Vanderbilt (since youre from TN?)

I dont know much about Wayne State either, does it have some high in-state quota as well?

It seems like youre going for NYC, so it looks like youve covered most of the schools in that regard.

Other schools people seem to like are Pitt, Baylor, Vandy (whoops already mentioned that), Emory and Rochester (which you both have).

Just remember, ask yourself if you would interview at a given school given a chance. I made the mistake of applying to a couple schools I had no intention of visiting, which was quite *****ic of me (I was scared I wasnt going to get many interviews though).

Theres a thread somewhere about schools people would have applied to in retrospect, unfortunately Im having a bit of trouble finding it, but it might be worth looking at.

Gleevec



Originally posted by Cerberus
Hey guys, here is my list right now (in no particular order), I am a TN resident.

1) Umich
2) UTENN
3) Temple
4) Jefferson
5) UVM
6) NYU
7) Rochester
8) NYMC
9) Cornell
10) Columbia
11) Einstein
12) Tulane
13) Northwestern
14) UIC
15) Sinai
16) Wayne State
17) Case Western
18) Emory
19) UCHSC
20) UVA
 

ornis4

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
1,056
1
40
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by Cerberus
Hey guys, here is my list right now (in no particular order), I am a TN resident.

1) Umich
2) UTENN
3) Temple
4) Jefferson
5) UVM
6) NYU
7) Rochester
8) NYMC
9) Cornell
10) Columbia
11) Einstein
12) Tulane
13) Northwestern
14) UIC
15) Sinai
16) Wayne State
17) Case Western
18) Emory
19) UCHSC
20) UVA

My list is going to turn out fairly similar to yours...being from CT, and without the greatest GPA, I'm putting a lot of faith in the MCAT as well. I also have great EC's and LOR, although my clinical experience is lacking. We shall see...I guess we just have to ace this test!
 

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
20
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Cerberus
I think i will be applying to 20. I think thats quite a bit but the idea of having to reapply doesnt sit well with me. Also, I have FAP so it really isnt costing me too much out of pocket for primaries/secondaries. Input?

Cerb,

This depends on how competitive of an applicant you are. If you have a GPA > 3.5 and MCAT of 30, then 20 schools is about right. If you have a GPA > 3.8 and MCAT of > 35, then 10 schools would be fine.

If you're submitting to 20 schools, I recommend applying to 5 top-ranked schools, 10 middle-tier, and 5 lower tier.

You can always refuse to interview if all 20 schools send you invites.
 

Buck Strong

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2003
494
1
State of Bliss
Status (Visible)
save yourself some money and aggrivation...i'd say 10 is good,... I think the key is to know yourself, and to be honest about where you're going to be competitive..the rest will work itself out. Good luck.
 

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
20
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Buck Strong
save yourself some money and aggrivation...i'd say 10 is good,... I think the key is to know yourself, and to be honest about where you're going to be competitive..the rest will work itself out. Good luck.

He's taking the MCAT now, so he doesn't have all the info to judge yet.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.