Good Pre-Med Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekingMe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyonw know what school have good pre-med programs? I'm already set to appliying to Xavier University but I want to know if there are any others.

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't that important to go to a school that has a good pre-med program. It's nice when they have a pre-med advisors and an interview committee. If there's not a committee you usually have to get three letters of recommendation from faculty members instead of one pre-med committee letter.

SeekingMe said:
Does anyonw know what school have good pre-med programs? I'm already set to appliying to Xavier University but I want to know if there are any others.

Do you have particular states in mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
I never understood what constituted a good "pre-med program". Anything strong in chemistry, biology, and physics should hold you over. Research institutions have plenty of opportunities for undergraduate research. Having hospitals nearby make it easy for shadowing. I dunno what else to say.

g3pro said:
I never understood what constituted a good "pre-med program". Anything strong in chemistry, biology, and physics should hold you over. Research institutions have plenty of opportunities for undergraduate research. Having hospitals nearby make it easy for shadowing. I dunno what else to say.

I based my decision on the highest acceptance rate to medical school in the state. I went to that school.

OSUdoc08 said:
I based my decision on the highest acceptance rate to medical school in the state. I went to that school.

I would check out Miami University - Oxford, Ohio. I am a student there and I have recieved an outstanding premedical education. Miami boasts a 93% acceptance rate into medschool for individuals with or above a 3.2 GPA and a 24 MCAT... pretty unheard of if you ask me. If you have any questions about it let me know.

http://zoology.muohio.edu/premed

Grant

Someplace cheap and with minimal competition.

Will Ferrell said:

I agree with this. Screw going to a "good pre-med school". Get a 4.0 at a bad school and a pretty good MCAT and your school will be "good enough".

SeekingMe said:

Given that a significant portion of people accepted to med school these days are not even "premed" (or bio/biochem, etc.) majors, that a very significant percentage of those that start out premed at any school don't end up still being premed by the end, and given that you don't really use any college prerequisites to any real degree after the MCAT, I think it's probably not a good criterion upon which to pick a school. Go to the college that fits you and is best all around. If you excell there you will be in good shape for med school.
As prior posters mentioned, schools with strong research or hospital affiliations may make picking up ECs easier, but I don't know if I would let this override my decision to attend an objectively better college.

Will Ferrell said:

I second this. It doesn't really matter where you go, as long as you get good grades and do well on the MCAT. Having a good pre-med advisor and a letter service might be nice, but any place really will do.
I chose a less competitive pre-med program for post-bacc because I wanted all the help I could get in making good grades. I like that I benefit from a curve and that most of the people in my classes are fairly clueless freshmen.

Will Ferrell said:

This guys right... It really doesn't matter what school you go to. Get MCAT 30 or above and a 3.7 or higher and ur fine. Pre-med is a dumb move (unless you want to be a bio major or closely related). If you'd rather learn about literature or history or political science go for it. As an english major (or any) you are jsut as or more competitive than a science major if you have a the needed courses completed. (bio, chem. org...) You will spend much of your first two years of med school reiterating what you learned as a pre-med. This is totally a matter of opinion but I say your better off learning something else for the sake of broadening your horizons and so that you don't get burnt out in your first two years in med school.

Skiam said:
This is totally a matter of opinion but I say your better off learning something else for the sake of broadening your horizons and so that you don't get burnt out in your first two years in med school.

This is true, although you might want to choose something to major in that's actually marketable like business or cs so you can get a decent job out of undergrad should you decide to take a year off before med school.

yeah, do not go to a ridiculously hard undergrad, or else your gpa will suffer AND you'll spend your mcat semester worrying about class grades instead of being able to put in sufficient time studying for the biggest exam of your life.

YOU make your college experience, based on the extracurriculars, clubs, and activities you choose to pursue, as well as research opportunities if that is your interest. You can have meaningful summers regardless of which school you go to, and going to a slightly less competitive undergrad will actually open up more such activities for you (b/c you'll have more time to pursue them) and make you a more interesting candidate.