Good Review book for Pharm ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kemc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG here in MA, Looking for some good resources to prepare for PHARM for Step-1. Please drop a line. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am using Lippincott. It is a little indepth but easy to read.

I agree, Lippincott is great. It is easy to read, so even though it looks long, you can get through it very quickly. My favorite part is the pictures!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read about 1/2 of Lippincott thus far and I think it might be a waste of time. It might be alot easier and more productive to just use FA. I think the best way to learn pharm is repetition and that is just not possible using lippincott. Does anyone else feel the same way?

The last 9 or so pages of the Katzung and Trevor Pharm Review by Lange has two sentence synopses or all the drugs. That might be the best way to review pharm. That or PharmCards.

I think it comes down to whether you are in the learning phase or the reviewing phase. Our pharm class was focused on alot of trial details and material not at all relevant to the boards, so you could do well in the class and still feel like you hadn't learned anything important. If there are areas that you feel weak in, and you don't have the time to read a textbook or class notes, I think Lippincott is ideal -- all of the important stuff in just a few pages. But if you have already learned the important concepts and drugs, then of course First Aid (or the Trevor summary) is totally sufficient.

unc12 said:
I have read about 1/2 of Lippincott thus far and I think it might be a waste of time. It might be alot easier and more productive to just use FA. I think the best way to learn pharm is repetition and that is just not possible using lippincott. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I never realized just how boring pharmacology is until I started to review the material. Lippincott is good for learning along with your course (you can make marks and highlights), but yeah it's too big and long for board review. First Aid's probably decent enought. Plus it helps to remember some of the little details you learned in class that aren't in review books (those little facts tend to pop up).

First of all thanks to all who responded to my question. I kind of agree with "SCULLY's" concept of learning and reviewing phase. Being an IMG and out of touch of basic sciences for few years I would go for Lippincott for Pharm as I have to go through learning phase again to refresh my momries, which are, kind of, overcome/lost by raising two very young kids :) If there is any other IMG please shed some light about it. thanks.

I have to say it again... if you're going to review pharm completely, not just high yield like FA.... then Pharm Made Ridiculously Simple is great! Good pneumonics, charts, and coverage. Way less dry than Lip and Katz. Thumb through it and you'll see what I mean. Of course, tag team with FA closer to show time!
ATnS

The best book out there is Pharm Recall, really short and it combines info from Lippincott and Katsung. It also has great tables and figures. Great book overall, glad I used it!