Good to know society thinks so highly of our profession...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldawg32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dentist

"an as$hole that no one likes except for their mothers."

"an as$hole whos gay and loves making you throw up by sticking sharp tools down your thoat [sic]..."

Good for a laugh or two.

Members don't see this ad.

There are people out there who REALLY believe whats said in those posts....its sad really how ignorant some people are.

I talked to a stranger one time in the local library. An older man, he told me he hated going to the dentist his whole life, until the day he experienced real tooth pain, and all of a sudden, that opened his eyes to how important dentists were lol.

I've never experienced tooth pain, but I hear its one of the worst experiences

Members don't see this ad :)
A dentist is normally an extremely good looking individual that is good in bed and is filthy rich. He/She drives the best and fastest cars and is a highly respected member of society. They have the nicest and whitest of smiles! They are intelligent professionals and are also known to be perfectionists! The envy of all professionals.
''I wish i were a dentist!''
''If only i could marry a dentist''
''When i grow up, i want to be a dentist''
''That guy is fantastic in bed, he's such a dentist''
''i love my sexy dentist''
:laugh::laugh:

"a paraprofessional who is too craven to do anything on his/her own requiring clearance from a real professional (i.e. physician) in order to practice dentistry.
I went to my dentist today and he wouldn't clean my teeth until my doctor signed a release. I thought these guys went to school!"

This one kind of pissed me off. People really want it both ways- they want you to do everything for them, yet want none of the responsibility if things go wrong. Sure, dentists could go out on a limb some time, but when you go into cardiac arrest because you had high BP and diabetes, etc... who the F are they going to call to the stand? Your freaking physician, who would surely say that they "would have not treated you" and you'll get sued for 1.3 million dollars. In addition, lawyers, school costs, and the like have forced medicine to become so specialized that podiatrists can't work on your ankle, orthopedic surgeons can't work on the anything but a wrist, ENT's wouldn't touch an eye, and etc...It's almost like medicine has backed itself into a specialized corner, where no one can work outside of their 2 inch world. Dentists, compared to many medical specialties, probably have a much broader scope of practice than you would think.

You want some fun stuff? Try going on youtube and search for "curing tooth decay" or "fluoride poison" or "mercury fillings" and, as much fun as the videos can be, the comments underneath are ever so much more entertaining! Some of these people sound like the sort that would wear aluminum foil hats to prevent the CIA from reading their thoughts...

You want some fun stuff? Try going on youtube and search for "curing tooth decay" or "fluoride poison" or "mercury fillings" and, as much fun as the videos can be, the comments underneath are ever so much more entertaining! Some of these people sound like the sort that would wear aluminum foil hats to prevent the CIA from reading their thoughts...

wait, so its ok to take the hats off now?!?! :confused:

Anybody who is perceived to make a lot of money for little work will be the target of a jealous public. I've told many people "if you want what I have you can get it too, just make good grades in high school and college, apply and get accepted to dental school, graduate, go $750,000 in debt to pay for school and a practice, then try to be a doctor, a therapist and a small business owner all at the same time. Just because I make it look easy doesn't mean that it is. If you don't want to do all that then please go home, sit in a comfy chair and have a nice tall glass of STFU. And be sure to pay your bill on the way out":)

Hammer, you just became my personal hero.
Anybody who is perceived to make a lot of money for little work will be the target of a jealous public. I've told many people "if you want what I have you can get it too, just make good grades in high school and college, apply and get accepted to dental school, graduate, go $750,000 in debt to pay for school and a practice, then try to be a doctor, a therapist and a small business owner all at the same time. Just because I make it look easy doesn't mean that it is. If you don't want to do all that then please go home, sit in a comfy chair and have a nice tall glass of STFU. And be sure to pay your bill on the way out":)

So I took you up on that offer and looked up "curing tooth decay" on youtube... um... what to say, what to say... it's sad that we as oral health care providers are going to try to educate our patients on the carious process, preventive measures, and proper dieting, but some will still be more inclined to believe this bozo. Besides the fact that he has 50,000 views and "followers" (based off the comments), any comment has to be approved by him before it is posted. He is clearly not qualified to be engaging in any kind of academic argument, and probably knows it. I wonder how many copies his book has sold...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWms5CvHZk

Are you f'ing kidding me!? I am just a lowly D1 who has only been in school 7 weeks but in the first week we learned enough to refute anything this guy has said with actual literature/studies. Well, I guess that is just how it goes.

To hell with dental school, that guy has got it all figured out! Dentists only treat the symptoms of tooth decay and not the cause of it. Bacteria can't be the cause because yogurt has bacteria and it's good for you. That sounds pretty solid. I'm gonna follow in that guy's footsteps and become a holistic dentamologist.

Are you f'ing kidding me!? I am just a lowly D1 who has only been in school 7 weeks but in the first week we learned enough to refute anything this guy has said with actual literature/studies. Well, I guess that is just how it goes.

Internet myths about dentistry and what causes problems and how to fix them do a mighty fine job at keeping our chairs filled, and often by the time the folks who self diagnosed via their inter-dent-net knowledge come in to see you, they're #1 begging for you to get them out of pain and #2 going to end up receiving treatment that ends up costing them (and making you) a bunch more $$ then if they had just sought out some "real" dental knowledge from day 1

Whoaa... I stopped the video when he said, "dentists treat the symptoms of tooth decay and ignore the cause of tooth decay"

Two words: patient education.

I'm thinking about placing a sign in my office in the lobby that says, Ask Dr. Jay how you can save hundreds of dollars on fillings and crowns for free.

When people ask, I'll tell them, "easy, 1. Don't drink soft drinks or eat candy 2. Brush twice a day, 3. Floss 4. See me twice a year for cleanings"

Maybe "saving hundreds of dollars" will get their attention more than "taking care of their teeth".

Whoaa... I stopped the video when he said, "dentists treat the symptoms of tooth decay and ignore the cause of tooth decay"

Two words: patient education.

I'm thinking about placing a sign in my office in the lobby that says, Ask Dr. Jay how you can save hundreds of dollars on fillings and crowns for free.

When people ask, I'll tell them, "easy, 1. Don't drink soft drinks or eat candy 2. Brush twice a day, 3. Floss 4. See me twice a year for cleanings"

Maybe "saving hundreds of dollars" will get their attention more than "taking care of their teeth".
Maybe at first, but true to American form, as soon as you tell them it will require a (temporarily) uncomfortable change of habit, they'll resume the familiar posture of tuning you out. :)

Maybe at first, but true to American form, as soon as you tell them it will require a (temporarily) uncomfortable change of habit, they'll resume the familiar posture of tuning you out. :)

Lol, I'm sure you are right Aphistis. I forget how lazy people really are and how little responsibility they want to take for their health, their life, and not surprisingly, their teeth.

Lol, I'm sure you are right Aphistis. I forget how lazy people really are and how little responsibility they want to take for their health, their life, and not surprisingly, their teeth.

Exactly. If people took care of their teeth except for accidents we would just be over qualified hygienists. But they don't and we make a great living due to their negligence.:thumbup:

:thumbup:
well said

I love the video!! WOW! I'm sharing that with all my dental school buddies. Amazing. :laugh: