pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
Had a prescription for gabapentin come across the bench the other day for an 8 year old, and boy the dose seemed high. As I prepared to contact the prescriber, I realized the patient had four legs and a tail.

For the life of me, I couldn't find a decent vet dosing guide. Do you have a go-to?

Reactions: CetiAlphaFive

Rouelle

7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
I recently got a phone in script from a vet for a boxer. Levothyroxine, 700 mcg bid. I questioned this VERY adamantly. I don't have much clinical knowledge about dogs.

RxVampire

PharmDruggist
2+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
2nd Plumbs; I think it costs around $70-80 or so. All weight based and species specific (sometimes breed specific) but does come in handy.

I don't think an exotic animal reference is worth it; mostly dogs, cats, mouses/hampsters, rabbits, etc. in retail.

*Exotic Animal reference used in Vet Med teaching hospital while on rotations:
Marion CJ. Exotic Animal Formulary. 4th Edition. St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier Saunders. 2013.

Last edited:

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
Pharmacist
If all else fails, dosing estimate based on weight--obviously, not all human drugs are safe for all species, and species may metabolize drugs differently than humans....but with the commonly prescribe drugs by vets that are going to be seen in retail (usually only control's & benadryl that the vet doesn't want to carry in his office), dosing by weight will give you a starting idea.