About the Ads
Jan 7, 2011
Status
  1. Pharmacist
I recently got a phone in script from a vet for a boxer. Levothyroxine, 700 mcg bid. I questioned this VERY adamantly. I don't have much clinical knowledge about dogs.

RxAndroid

PharmDroid/Druggist
Oct 12, 2015
Purgatory
Status
  1. Pharmacist
2nd Plumbs; I think it costs around $70-80 or so. All weight based and species specific (sometimes breed specific) but does come in handy.

I don't think an exotic animal reference is worth it; mostly dogs, cats, mouses/hampsters, rabbits, etc. in retail.

*Exotic Animal reference used in Vet Med teaching hospital while on rotations:
Marion CJ. Exotic Animal Formulary. 4th Edition. St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier Saunders. 2013.

Last edited:

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
  1. Pharmacist
If all else fails, dosing estimate based on weight--obviously, not all human drugs are safe for all species, and species may metabolize drugs differently than humans....but with the commonly prescribe drugs by vets that are going to be seen in retail (usually only control's & benadryl that the vet doesn't want to carry in his office), dosing by weight will give you a starting idea.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads