Good Vet Dosing Reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a prescription for gabapentin come across the bench the other day for an 8 year old, and boy the dose seemed high. As I prepared to contact the prescriber, I realized the patient had four legs and a tail.

For the life of me, I couldn't find a decent vet dosing guide. Do you have a go-to?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a good Merck Manual out there that's used for the standard domesticated animals. Don't know anything for exotic pets.

You don't know how much gabapentin I should give my pet dragon?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You want Plumb's Veterinary Handbook. If you do pet meds you should have it on hand.

Reactions: 2 users
2nd Plumbs; I think it costs around $70-80 or so. All weight based and species specific (sometimes breed specific) but does come in handy.

I don't think an exotic animal reference is worth it; mostly dogs, cats, mouses/hampsters, rabbits, etc. in retail.

*Exotic Animal reference used in Vet Med teaching hospital while on rotations:
Marion CJ. Exotic Animal Formulary. 4th Edition. St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier Saunders. 2013.

Last edited:
Plumbs. If you have a .edu email you can get it free for a year!

Reactions: 1 users
If all else fails, dosing estimate based on weight--obviously, not all human drugs are safe for all species, and species may metabolize drugs differently than humans....but with the commonly prescribe drugs by vets that are going to be seen in retail (usually only control's & benadryl that the vet doesn't want to carry in his office), dosing by weight will give you a starting idea.