Got a 2.0 in one class, should I retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amelie_1010

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
won't kill you. don't retake, just keep your head up and keep working as hard as you can

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT retake. Just do better in future coursework.

Hello!

So I am currently taking genetics as well as two other science courses and english courses. I am doing fine in all of my other classes. I will get a 4.0 in both humanities courses, a 3.3 in ochem, and a 4.0 in physics. I will unfortunately be getting a 2.0 in genetics. I want to go to medical school, but I am a bit worried how they might view this grade. I know I will make improvements in my next two years and raise my GPA through my other upper division courses, but do you think its wise to retake the class? Or better yet, should I just take this class as a good learning experience to do well in future courses? I just really dont want med schools looking at this one class and reject me, and if retaking this course is necessary to avoid that then I will. Any advice is appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
Genetics is brutal, and often the worst/most failed Bio class. You can get a handful of less-than-stellar grades before it actually hurts your gpa. Just keep your head up.

Try to learn as much as you can from your mistakes tho. Even with challenging classes like genetics, that may not play to your strengths, you should able to pull a at least some kind of B if you study efficiently, so something was up

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Yeah, I had alot going on this semester. I seriously overloaded myself, which I regret, but theres nothing I can do about it now. I tried studying for genetics when I could but it was just so hard juggling everything including EC's. I also work the max amount a week we can on campus so that was quite overwhelming as well. I think from all this I learned how to manage my time as best as I could through overloading, and I won't be overloading ever again or doing unnecessary things I am not passionate about so I am looking foward to hopefully improving my grades from here on out.
That's smart and yea focus on doing the ECs and classes you enjoy as much as you can. I was recently beaten out for an eboard spot in a club and am somewhat glad! All I was in it for was the resume and now that that's done i have more time to focus on tutoring and research I enjoy

If thats how you felt after the fact, its good that you didn't get it because you would've been miserable, trust me. Right now I am in this honors program that basically made me take an extra and unnecessary class this semester which I feel is one of the main reasons why my grades plummeted. I was really upset because I wanted to withdraw my application from pretty much the beginning (so like right after I got accepted and everything) because I realized how much I had going on and how overwhelmed I already was, but they convinced me to do it and I regret it. I might end up dropping the program so I wont have to take future unnecessary classes, but we will see how this spans out haha.
Yeah only do honors programs if you want the extra fulfillment (assuming said programs are even fulfilling). Do what makes you happy here

Members don't see this ad :)
@amelie_1010 What are the margins of error for your 2.0 prediction? Seems like you aren't quite done with the course if the end point is speculative. Also your anxiety isn't typical of someone who has completed an action, but suits the bill for someone who needs to overcome some big hurdles before finalizing an action. Big genetics final around the corner?

Yeah my final is this upcoming week. Its pretty set that I'll be getting a 2.0 this semester even after the final. No matter how hard I tried this semester, my estimated grade back was always a 2.0 which was upsetting because there was evident improvement in how I would do in my assignments and exams.
The problem isn't the material. It's you. You will face many hurdles and things you have little to no proficiency when it comes to school, medicine, and life in general. No one will wait for you, no one will give you a handout. It's up to you to still perform to the best of your ability. You should be dedicating all of your being into raising your proficiency of the material by a single point. There is nothing wrong with being deficient or weak in certain areas. But if you are hemorrhaging and don't apply pressure to stop the bleeding, then you are going to die. You can play with forecast projections and the medical school number game after you take your exam. However, by doing this before you take the exam you are wasting precious time you can spend to master one or two more concepts. Genetics... is not hard. It's not. Time consuming? Yes. Hard? No. I don't really care what the other posters type about a 200-level Genetics course and neither should you. They failed to identify the most important concepts in your post which are quite obvious if they actually sat down and considered giving quality advice. Don't respond to this post until after your exam. If you do, then I am just going to ignore you because this shows me that you are non-compliant and there's no value in giving advice to someone who won't follow it. There is more advice I would like to give, but none of it is appropriate to what is most important around the corner. I fight today in order to wake up tomorrow. You shouldn't take your time lightly considering how little you have of it and any time you spend on SDN should instead be allocated into restoring mental alertness e.g. napping or exercising so you can reset and master more material.

Last edited:
Don't respond to this post until after your exam.

OP, if staying off of SDN (and other sites that will increase anxiety but not help you) is difficult for you, you may want to try SelfControl or its Windows equivalent to force yourself to avoid some distractions.

Sardinia's advice may be hard to follow, but it's absolutely correct.

Sardinia that advice was the most dramatic and beautiful piece of advice I've seen on sdn
OP, genetics is hard , but the trick is putting in the time to slowly sift through the concepts, not just memorize. Im doing very well in genetics b/c I take notes and do concept maps on the book-lecture notes are not enough,nor is skimming through the chapters.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

Last edited:
Dang this was great for me at the time because everytime I was getting anxious or mentally tired I just read this and it motivated me a lot hahah. Thank you so much, and any other advice you may have will be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you. I sent you a private message.