Got a BA in biology and can't get into dental school..stressed out and really Need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaladmission

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i got my BA in biology from University of Washington in Seattle with a 3.2 gpa about 3 years ago now. I have applied to dental school 4 times and got rejected also did. Did all 3 attempts for dat testing and got 20 score which has expired now...i have shadowed dentist for some months and also have done internship as a research assistant researching on child obesity...I need to know what are my options. can i still apply for dental school even though i attempted all 3 dat testing which has expired. Really just trying to get a real paying job. I've worked really hard but i guess it wasn't enough.. I spent hours researching and still find my self useless with this degree at this point. Please throw me some advice.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

what were your actual DAT scores?

Reactions: 1 user
So i got my BA in biology from University of Washington in Seattle with a 3.2 gpa about 3 years ago now. I have applied to dental school 4 times and got rejected also did. Did all 3 attempts for dat testing and got 20 score which has expired now...i have shadowed dentist for some months and also have done internship as a research assistant researching on child obesity...I need to know what are my options. can i still apply for dental school even though i attempted all 3 dat testing which has expired. Really just trying to get a real paying job. I've worked really hard but i guess it wasn't enough.. I spent hours researching and still find my self useless with this degree at this point. Please throw me some advice.

Thank you.
Being brutally honest with you, that 3.2 gpa will really never get you into dental schools (from my personal experience). You need to enroll into either a post-bacc or SMP to raise that GPA to show them that you can handle the rigor of dental curriculum. Regarding your DAT, the general idea is that more than 3rd attempt on DAT usually raises a red flag, however, since you have demonstrated 20's on all of your attempts, 4th attempt should really not be a problem IMO because it just expired, not due to scoring low on DAT.

Hope that helped!

EDIT: Sorry, misread your post. I thought you scored 20 on all of your attempts. Do you mind sharing your scores? All 3 attempted.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are other areas of your application that stand out? Give us some more info and maybe we can give you specific advice. Did you interview at all during those 4 cycles? Go Huskies! ;)

Assuming you've received no interviews ever, you'll need to formulate a major change in your application to ever be accepted. You have a long road and multiple years ahead to improve yourself. A special M.S. with retaking pre-reqs as a post bacc is probably what you need at this point.

How many schools did you apply to?

You have a chance to go out, find a career and pay off your undergrad loans. Maybe medical sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your overall, science, and BCP GPAs?

Last edited:
It looks like it may take you some time to prepare and you're also looking for a well-paying job. One suggestion I have is to wait tables at a restaurant on the side while you beef up your application. I believe a 4th DAT is possible. You just have to request it. And a higher DAT score is also possible without doing well in undergrad. That was me xD. Good luck! PM me if you'd like.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Getting into dental school is the toughest thing you can do at the moment. Those who get in the first or second time may never appreciate or understand their fortune/luck. It took me multiple tries with a 3.9 MS GPA, 19AA/19PAT/22RC, and tons and tons of experience with research and publications. Just don't give up if it's really what you want. Definitely do a postbacc or Masters (SMP or Traditional). You can retake if your scores are expiring. Just request it and show that you've been trying to apply. The limit on exam retakes is to prevent companies like Kaplan who send their tutors to take the exam every few months to hone their skills and knowledge of the exam.

Nothing is guaranteed. You just keep trying your best and keep living your life. Apply for jobs you may find interesting while you revamp your app. Plenty of people on here are good people willing to help. PM me if you'd like.

I will always emphasize volunteering and doing as much community service as possible. Not just for your application and resume, but because it's genuinely the right thing to do and the sense of satisfaction you get from it is immense.

Also, read the following story. This individual applied six times before he was able to get in:

https://www.studentdoctor.net/2015/...r-how-i-got-into-dental-school-after-6-tries/

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users