Got a C, freshman year intro Bio: What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted760180

So I'm a first semester freshman right now, and I just received a C on my first intro Bio exam. This was my first exam of my entire college career, so I'm really hoping it gets better from here on out. I'm honestly looking at ending the semester with a 3.3.3.4. I even dropped one of my classes today in order to focus more on my schedule (I went from 17 credits which I realized was too much too late it seems, down to 14).

Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding freshman year and the whole college transition? Does it get better, and how did you learn to study in college? What was your GPA?

I just find biology right now to be extremely, extremely different than AP. We go so far in-depth that I just leave class completely confused and unaware of what we talked about. I know its only going to get harder from here, so how do you guys study for biology in general? Powerpoint slides aren't really enough, and I am starting to tape record lectures now.

Sorry if I come off as a stressed out, overworked overachiever but I wholly realize that I need a 3.7 or up for any viable MD school in the U.S.. I'm just really down in the dumps right now, and I feel like an absolute failure. I just don't want this trend to continue. What do I do?

Will a bad freshman year GPA screw me over? Help?

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing to do is change up your study plan- and stick to it consistently. If you study each day for the rest of the semester, you can stay on top on your course and likely still do well.

Recording lecture is okay if you want to review it later and possibly follow along with the slides presented. I find it helpful to go through the slides after class and look up things I don't understand / mark things to ask my TA / prof about for help. Also, based on how the exam felt, you can better mentally prepare for what the next exams might be like (multiple choice, facts, problem-solving, etc.). Maybe ask a friend who did well how they are studying and join a group if that helps.

Hang in there and work hard :)

Dude, I got C's on my first 4 BCPM college exams, withdrew from 2 classes, and didn't get a single A first semester freshman year. I also graduated in 3 years with a 3.8+ GPA.

Freshman year sucks for a lot of people. Getting used to college is hard and it takes time, but trust me sophomore year will be much better. Don't freak out, don't get discouraged and don't give up on medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, take it easy man. Not everyone starts out great their freshman year. Some intro classes tend to be weed-out classes with a huge group of pre-meds in it. When you get into upper-level classes usually you have fewer people and more attention from the professor. It's only your first exam and you have 3.5+ years to balance it out. Go to offices hours, talk to your TAs or classmates, work hard and don't look down! You'd be surprised how many people drop out of being pre-med after their first year or two.

Flashcards, READ the textbook, practice questions, office hours, STUDY everyday. You will see your grades sky rocket

So I'm a first semester freshman right now, and I just received a C on my first intro Bio exam
So I'm a first semester freshman right now
I'm a first semester freshman

It's going to be OK kid. Don't come back here for at least 2 years for your own good.

Reactions: 1 users
It's your first test, chill out. You may need to look at how and how much you study and change accordingly (many students have difficulty adapting to college) but one test freshman year has near enough zero impact in med school admissions

Focus on your next exams, since this was only your first one. The key is not panicking and failing the rest of 'em. READ the class material before going into class, pay attention to what the professor will likely be asking on exams, review everyday, and get those points on your future exams.

keep your head up! Go to office hours to talk about your exam. Find out your weakness and plan study ahead.

I got a D in my first intro bio exam, and that hasn't affected my application cycle in any way. The most important thing though is you've gotta learn something from this experience. Maybe try to change up your study schedule/approach. Maybe even change your mindset in terms of your grades/expectations (aka strive to be but don't expect to be the #1 student in the class, grades are very important but it's not the end of the world if you don't get straight As, 3.7s are great but getting less is not a death sentence for your med school app, etc.)