got an interview call from NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
profile76 said:
btw what's ur status ?
well my status
part1=82
toefl=247
gpa=3.6
well i have not applied to other schools thisyear,by where are u located and i agree with what denzel says no offence to our friends from india

Members don't see this ad.

denzel said:
people who are not even in US yet are getting interview calls while students like us who come here complete masters and work for a couple of years are left high and dry. I know that the scores are very important , but what about the univ experience, work experience, and the experience of living here! I am not knocking on anyone but its really sad to see people with no experience of living here get a call! :luck:
denzel i wanted to know that have u done masters if yes then next question is from where?

profile76 said:
congrats u have made it finally,all the best for ur interview :thumbup:
thanks a lot profile 76

Members don't see this ad :)
I have interview on Apr 7-th.Anyone else has the same date?

profile76 said:
did u get calls from anyother schools?

I was interviewed by UPenn.

rahmed

spowari said:
hi rahmed,
i've scheduled it for march31 too.

Hi spowari

What is your stats?

rahmed

rahmed said:
Hi spowari

What is your stats?

rahmed

Hi Rahmed,

How are you? Well my stats are Part1 93,247,3.72 Part 2 is 81

I will appriciate if you can tell me how you are preparing for the interview.

Thanks
spowari

spowari said:
Hi Rahmed,

How are you? Well my stats are Part1 93,247,3.72 Part 2 is 81

I will appriciate if you can tell me how you are preparing for the interview.

Thanks
spowari

hi spowari

haven't yet started preparing. but i undestand they ask standard questions like why nyu? why on earth study in sucha costly city? etc. i am yet to go through the interview feedback thread and complete website, try to do this weekend. i don't know what else to do? how do you plan to prepare?

rahmed

mrk75 said:
I have interview on Apr 7-th.Anyone else has the same date?

Hi mrk75,
Congrats!!
When did you apply for NYU? What's your stats? I have applied in Jan and have'nt yet received any feedback from NYU..

Thanks!!

85, 257, 3.39 I applied in the end of January.

mrk75 said:
85, 257, 3.39 I applied in the end of January.

Thanks mrk75!! good luck with your interview.

rahmed said:
Well guys, at last I got the interview call from NYU today. Scheduled an interview for March 31. Anyone else going that day? :D

rahmed
hi rahmed
can u please tell me to which all universities u applied,did u apply in uni of medicine n dentistry NJ
HOW WAS UR INTERVIEW IN UPENN,if u can please give the list of uni where v can apply in NJ AND NEWYORK even in other state also,iwill appreciate that

samina said:
hi rahmed
can u please tell me to which all universities u applied,did u apply in uni of medicine n dentistry NJ
HOW WAS UR INTERVIEW IN UPENN,if u can please give the list of uni where v can apply in NJ AND NEWYORK even in other state also,iwill appreciate that

Hi Samina

I applied to UPenn, Boston U, NYU, Marquette U and Nova SU.

Boston U rejected my application without interview (well they asked me to improve part 1 score and contact them). :thumbdown: :mad:
UPenn interviewed me, they were very accomodating and sweet, then rejected me. :thumbdown: :mad: :mad:
NYU interview pending, on March 31. :)
Marquette U wrote they have no seat for this year but kept my application active in case... :confused:
Nova SU...I have no clue what's going on there;I haven't heard from them. :confused: :confused:

No I haven't applied to UMDNJ as they do not accept application from Foreign Trained Dentists...One can apply to their Masters program.

Please click on the following URL:

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.pdf

to find out details about licensing procedure in US and list of Dental Schools/Universities offering Advanced Standing DDS/DMD as well as MS (Graduate) programs. You need to go through this document for a comprehensive idea. Also I think you should print this document and keep a copy for future reference.

Please ask me if you have any other queries.

Good luck, :luck:

rahmed

Members don't see this ad :)
hi rahmed,
what's up?are we the only 2 for interveiw on 31 march? generally they call people in a batch of 14-15.so where r the rest of candidates? :confused:

spowari said:
hi rahmed,
what's up?are we the only 2 for interveiw on 31 march? generally they call people in a batch of 14-15.so where r the rest of candidates? :confused:

Hello spowari

Lets pray to the Lord for His Divine intervention.

I don't know what else to think about this Interview!!! :confused:

How you preparing?

rahmed

hi rahmed,
CONGRAGULATIONS!!!!!!!! bOSTON REJECTED ur application even without an interview? i dont know wat is Boston expecting these days and u said penn interviewed.... ur scores must b really good then..... can u pls share ur stats??? coz u said BU asked u to improve ur score :confused: .......i think it is really diffcult to judge abt BU ......

bye
cheers.

hi rahmed
thanks alot 4 ur information......let me know about ur interview at nyu....
good luck 4 ur interview
rahmed said:
Hi Samina

I applied to UPenn, Boston U, NYU, Marquette U and Nova SU.

Boston U rejected my application without interview (well they asked me to improve part 1 score and contact them). :thumbdown: :mad:
UPenn interviewed me, they were very accomodating and sweet, then rejected me. :thumbdown: :mad: :mad:
NYU interview pending, on March 31. :)
Marquette U wrote they have no seat for this year but kept my application active in case... :confused:
Nova SU...I have no clue what's going on there;I haven't heard from them. :confused: :confused:

No I haven't applied to UMDNJ as they do not accept application from Foreign Trained Dentists...One can apply to their Masters program.

Please click on the following URL:

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.pdf

to find out details about licensing procedure in US and list of Dental Schools/Universities offering Advanced Standing DDS/DMD as well as MS (Graduate) programs. You need to go through this document for a comprehensive idea. Also I think you should print this document and keep a copy for future reference.

Please ask me if you have any other queries.

Good luck, :luck:

rahmed

Thanks. I need it. I will try to remember and post my interview experience.

rahmed

samina1 said:
hi rahmed
thanks alot 4 ur information......let me know about ur interview at nyu....
good luck 4 ur interview

hi,

I have an interview at nyu on 14.is anyone else attending that day.

smile care

Hi Everbody

Before I go into my NYU intv experience thanks to everyone in this forum for helping me prepare directly or indirectly.

3 weeks running upto the interview I did a thorough research about NYU College of Dentistry going through their website (including Bulletin, Viewbook and Nexus), SDN forum, PMs from forum members, Speaking to my seniors who have been through NYU, consulting throughly Dr Aly B. Kanani's book Ultimate Foreign Trained Dentists Admission Guide to US and Canadian Dental Schools. I prepared my plan.

I was interviewed by Dr Novella L. Jones, Asst Dean, Student Affairs & Admissions, a nice person who for once gone through my application, statement of purpose and resume before interviewing. She quoted couple of things during the interview one would only know after going through above documents.

Interview itself was of general nature and more of a discussion. I was not asked about any specific questions and Ms Jones told me that she was not going to ask me any stereotype Q as she was satisfied with my application! Instead she asked me ask her any Qs to which I did ask 2 prepared ones. Overall it went well, I think. Ms Jones gave me her professional card and asked me call her up if I have any further Q especially after the tour.

One other thing before I finish. Contrary to whatever I heard, read or was told, NYU College of Dentistry is an AWESOME dental school in terms of tech-savvy and curriculum. Something I hoped to see in a first world country. I haven't seen many dental schools in US unlike many of you, but I have walked through some of the best ones in Europe. And I tell you NYU is almost comparable to the dental school in Zurich. And NYU does deliver goods. Of course just like all of you I am aware of the AWESOME COST FACTOR. I think for the batch of 2008 the projected estimate is $240,000+ for all three years (including boarding+personal expenses etc). So my friends I am off to buy lotto tickets for next Mega million draw. And if I am really offered an acceptance in NYU, some of you might hear about a small heist in your neighbourhood bank in the near future, as I am pretty sure no bank manager in his right mind will allow me to borrow that kind of money for a liquid future project.

One more thing. Yesterday out of 14 candidates only 2 of us were active SDN members and I came across another silent one (by her own admission). Some of the rest haven't heard of SDN. So I stand by my earlier contention that SDN is really tip of the iceberg.

One of the candidate from yesterdays interview who is not a SDN member e-mailed some of us to inform that yesterday afternoon she received an offer from U of Buffalo advanced Standing program. So I decided to post this for rest of the UB waitlisters/hopefuls.

Good Luck to all future candidates and to all who still waiting to receive an interview letter.

rahmed

rahmed said:
Hi Everbody

Before I go into my NYU intv experience thanks to everyone in this forum for helping me prepare directly or indirectly.

3 weeks running upto the interview I did a thorough research about NYU College of Dentistry going through their website (including Bulletin, Viewbook and Nexus), SDN forum, PMs from forum members, Speaking to my seniors who have been through NYU, consulting throughly Dr Aly B. Kanani's book Ultimate Foreign Trained Dentists Admission Guide to US and Canadian Dental Schools. I prepared my plan.

I was interviewed by Dr Novella L. Jones, Asst Dean, Student Affairs & Admissions, a nice person who for once gone through my application, statement of purpose and resume before interviewing. She quoted couple of things during the interview one would only know after going through above documents.

Interview itself was of general nature and more of a discussion. I was not asked about any specific questions and Ms Jones told me that she was not going to ask me any stereotype Q as she was satisfied with my application! Instead she asked me ask her any Qs to which I did ask 2 prepared ones. Overall it went well, I think. Ms Jones gave me her professional card and asked me call her up if I have any further Q especially after the tour.

One other thing before I finish. Contrary to whatever I heard, read or was told, NYU College of Dentistry is an AWESOME dental school in terms of tech-savvy and curriculum. Something I hoped to see in a first world country. I haven't seen many dental schools in US unlike many of you, but I have walked through some of the best ones in Europe. And I tell you NYU is almost comparable to the dental school in Zurich. And NYU does deliver goods. Of course just like all of you I am aware of the AWESOME COST FACTOR. I think for the batch of 2008 the projected estimate is $240,000+ for all three years (including boarding+personal expenses etc). So my friends I am off to buy lotto tickets for next Mega million draw. And if I am really offered an acceptance in NYU, some of you might hear about a small heist in your neighbourhood bank in the near future, as I am pretty sure no bank manager in his right mind will allow me to borrow that kind of money for a liquid future project.

One more thing. Yesterday out of 14 candidates only 2 of us were active SDN members and I came across another silent one (by her own admission). Some of the rest haven't heard of SDN. So I stand by my earlier contention that SDN is really tip of the iceberg.

One of the candidate from yesterdays interview who is not a SDN member e-mailed some of us to inform that yesterday afternoon she received an offer from U of Buffalo advanced Standing program. So I decided to post this for rest of the UB waitlisters/hopefuls.

Good Luck to all future candidates and to all who still waiting to receive an interview letter.

rahmed
hi rahmed thanks for giving us details regarding ur interview du u have any idea how much seats remain in nyu

gujjudent said:
hi rahmed thanks for giving us details regarding ur interview du u have any idea how much seats remain in nyu

Hi gujjudent

Thanks. No I don't have any idea about how many seats are left, but just before the tour I distinctly heard Amy (Knowles) saying '.....125 of you will matriculate this August with regualr second years.....' :) Did I hear right 125 seats :D ?? Because all we knew there were 110 for this year. I hope she is right and increase number of seats to 125.

Please do not persecute me if number of seats do not go up!! :scared:

rahmed

hi guys...i have logged in after a long time....
i am too waitn for a letter from the school.
its really nerve rackin and is killing me....everytime i call Or even after visitin NYU 3-4 times its the same old story sayn application under review,,,,i dont know whts takin them so long....they should tell straightaway....atleast once & for all we will know rather than waitn every sec with a fast beatn heart!!...
my stats...
do u guys think i have any chance.....?????????????

rahmed said:
Hi gujjudent

Thanks. No I don't have any idea about how many seats are left, but just before the tour I distinctly heard Amy (Knowles) saying '.....125 of you will matriculate this August with regualr second years.....' :) Did I hear right 125 seats :D ?? Because all we knew there were 110 for this year. I hope she is right and increase number of seats to 125.

Please do not persecute me if number of seats do not go up!! :scared:

rahmed
thanks rahmed 4 sharing ur experience at NYU
so basically they ask general not anything specific from the course,right..
one more thing i want to ask u that is about gpa,wat weightage does it carry 4 ur interview call,does the univ really look in to it,if yes then how much(min)u think its necessary to have 4 nyu....
keep us informed...
good luck

samina

samina1 said:
thanks rahmed 4 sharing ur experience at NYU
so basically they ask general not anything specific from the course,right..
one more thing i want to ask u that is about gpa,wat weightage does it carry 4 ur interview call,does the univ really look in to it,if yes then how much(min)u think its necessary to have 4 nyu....
keep us informed...
good luck

samina

Well I have no idea how much minimum GPA is necessary. But going by the criteria of successfully completing DDS program, gleaned from couple of dental school website, I think the minimum US dental school requirement I have come across is 2.4. So by inference they should have no problem with a GPA above that mark. Certain AS programs definitely look for higher GPA. Again I think one example is UPenn. Personally speaking any GPA over 3 is good enough as students come from differnt countries with diverse assessment criteria.

My 2 cents. :D

rahmed

All those starting school this year,please read and reply to the "Universal 2007 Acceptance Thread" started by yours truly.

Thanks

hi rahmed
thanks 4 ur information ....did u get any acceptance letter from NYU

please let me know about it

samina1 said:
hi rahmed
thanks 4 ur information ....did u get any acceptance letter from NYU

please let me know about it

Not so far. Waiting.........

rahmed

rahmed said:
Not so far. Waiting.........

rahmed
hi rahmed,
dont loose hopes.im sure u'll get in.last year my senior had interveiw somewhere in end of june for the summer session and was waitlisted then, but after sometime got the acceptance letter.i think they still have seats thats why they are waitlisting people or it may be the case that people dont join .so keep up the hopes :thumbup: u never know what's in ur fate . :thumbup: :luck:

spowari said:
hi rahmed,
dont loose hopes.im sure u'll get in.last year my senior had interveiw somewhere in end of june for the summer session and was waitlisted then, but after sometime got the acceptance letter.i think they still have seats thats why they are waitlisting people or it may be the case that people dont join .so keep up the hopes :thumbup: u never know what's in ur fate . :thumbup: :luck:

Thanks spowari for confidence boosting good wish. Hope keeps the world going and I am no exception! Currently the impending Part 2 exam followed by gruelling part 1 retake plan just about managing to distract me from NYU.

Well I hope spaces open up for someone as me who can not afford to lose another admission cycle.

Lets see..........

rahmed

hi rahmed

did u get any acceptance letter from nyu...please let me know about it
good luck..

samina1 said:
hi rahmed

did u get any acceptance letter from nyu...please let me know about it
good luck..

No. I am still waitlisted. I don't think anyone from the forum got an acceptance in last 2 weeks. As far as I know next set of acceptance will be issued after August 2.

rahmed