Got into top choice & no school left. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unemployed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to spend this time? I've heard things from take a physiology/anatomy class, pottery class, or work in a dental office/lab. I rather not do anything related to dentistry until school starts. Anyone planning on backpacking Europe or something? I've been bored since August (after taking the DAT), but at least I had to go to interviews and worry about something. Now, I feel useless to this world. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Unemployed said:
Any suggestions on how to spend this time? I've heard things from take a physiology/anatomy class, pottery class, or work in a dental office/lab. I rather not do anything related to dentistry until school starts. Anyone planning on backpacking Europe or something? I've been bored since August (after taking the DAT), but at least I had to go to interviews and worry about something. Now, I feel useless to this world. :laugh:

what is your story? did you apply last year and not get in and then just retake your DATS and do nothing?

Unemployed, relax, take a trip

otherwise, get a job. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
irishpint said:
what is your story? did you apply last year and not get in and then just retake your DATS and do nothing?

I just graduated from college in June. I pretty much took the DAT in the summer and turned in my applications, expecting this to be year long process like undergrad. However, I got into my top choice recently, and I got all this time to blow until July. I was thinking about a screw-around job like starbucks or borders, but I rather not be living at home with the parentals. Its been a tough 6 months. I got 6 months to kill. Anyone in a similar situation?

take some roids and work out all day everyday...get RIPPPED.

Unemployed said:

Work out. Watch tv. Sleep. Play sports. Play video games. Go to a bar. Take trips. Read non-science stuff. Eat home cooked meals. Go to a lounge. Take a nap. Talk on the phone. Spend time on SDN. Go clubbing. Drive around the streets. Hang out with friends. Enjoy your free time.

Heh... yeah I've felt pretty useless since I graduated over the summer. It's been almost 4 months and I haven't done jack. :D I sure hope I get into dental school somewhere, otherwise, I'm probably going to have to get a job. :smuggrin:

Unemployed said:
I just graduated from college in June. I pretty much took the DAT in the summer and turned in my applications, expecting this to be year long process like undergrad. However, I got into my top choice recently, and I got all this time to blow until July. I was thinking about a screw-around job like starbucks or borders, but I rather not be living at home with the parentals. Its been a tough 6 months. I got 6 months to kill. Anyone in a similar situation?

I'm in the exact same situation as you, and it is pretty sweet. I'm not too sure what i am gonna do. I need to find a really slack job that pays really well and then go on a trip for a few months. Or maybe I might just take out a personal loan, nix the whole job thing, and then go on a nice long trip. Might as well enjoy it while i can.

Rezdawg said:
Work out. Watch tv. Sleep. Play sports. Play video games. Go to a bar. Take trips. Read non-science stuff. Eat home cooked meals. Go to a lounge. Take a nap. Talk on the phone. Spend time on SDN. Go clubbing. Drive around the streets. Hang out with friends. Enjoy your free time.

I need to get off SDN. I think I spent the last 4 hours refreshing to see new posts. Yeah my friends are lame. They got "jobs" working 9-5 and go to bed at 10. What's up with that?!?

I've been working out myself. Trying to get rid of those damn college dorm lovehundles. Isn't it going to come back once school starts. One word that describes me is lazy :laugh:

virginiabeach said:
I'm in the exact same situation as you, and it is pretty sweet. I'm not too sure what i am gonna do. I need to find a really slack job that pays really well and then go on a trip for a few months. Or maybe I might just take out a personal loan, nix the whole job thing, and then go on a nice long trip. Might as well enjoy it while i can.

Good to know I'm not alone. Any trip destinations? I'm checking out STA Travel and got some cool ideas to blend into another culture. I'd like to live in Spain for a few months...maybe a flat on top of bar. That would be sweet! Too bad, I don't have any money and I don't know too many jobs who will hire for a 1.5-2 months for some quick pocket money.

Enjoy your free time. Who knows when you'll get it again with dental school. :rolleyes:

I vote for Europe. If it weren't for the rest of my classes, I'd be on a plane after New Years. :p

beannaithe said:
Enjoy your free time. Who knows when you'll get it again with dental school. :rolleyes:

I vote for Europe. If it weren't for the rest of my classes, I'd be on a plane after New Years. :p

Europe is sweet. Does anyone know how the weather there between February to May? Maybe I should do Chile, Argentina, and Brazil...its summer over there!

Unemployed said:

Everyone needs a hobby, why not take up drinking and/or recreational drugs. Good clean fun is over-rated.

Unemployed said:

HAHA!! umm u can look into where u will be moving and stuff... i know this whole relocating thing is keeping me pretty BUSY =( get a credit report ( if ur applying for loans to make sure there aren't errors or negative things on it)

oh yea, and deciding where to go.. NOT as easy as i thought :(
even though this v may be saying otherwise

i found i got accepted jan 19th.. i pretty much traveled alot and worked for most of the time..

i ended up going to
Phoenix, AZ saw the Grand Canyon (wnat to to go back to hike it). Went to Miami, Fl, saw the everglades. Went to Camping with couple of college buds. Went to the beach. Saw NYC. Myrtle beach when summer came. So yea.. pretty much I decided since I had not to dependent on anybody except myself I traveled and saw most of the states b4 I hell broke loose.

WOW - u guys are lucky -