Got rejected by my backups and interviewed by my dream schools.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Pulling a rickshaw down Bay St.
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Just feel good about it :D. Screw the backups, and say hello to the dream schools :).

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SwankyLove said:
Is this normal? :idea:
Maybe you underestimated yourself. Your backups may have rejected you because they were confindent you would get into better schools. They do this sometimes because it makes them look better not to have so many people decline an admission offer and also because it opens up interview spots for people are more likely to attend if accepted.

txkiwieyes

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Houston, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tacrum43 said:
.....backups may have rejected you because they were confindent you would get into better schools. They do this sometimes because it makes them look better not to have so many people decline an admission offer and also because it opens up interview spots for people are more likely to attend if accepted.
wow... hopefully that's true...
but if it is... it totally defeats the purpose of the match system we have in Texas... :eek:

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just don't get rejected by your dream schools.

skoaner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
Status
sunny123 said:
Just feel good about it :D. Screw the backups, and say hello to the dream schools :).
I've had experience with that. Apparently if you are 1 stdev above their mean its bad ??

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
future
Status
Attending Physician
Pretty much happened to me. Interviewed at Baylor and UTSW, not invited to UTHSCSA or A&M.

turkeymou

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
Alexander Pink said:
Pretty much happened to me. Interviewed at Baylor and UTSW, not invited to UTHSCSA or A&M.
yeah, rejected from einstein w/out an interview (and i was interested in them; i'm a non-trad student and they seem to like non-trads) and interviewed at yale, harvard, cornell, hopkins, columbia....go figure.... :confused:

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
Me too, Interviewed and accepted at BU, Rejected for an interview at Drexel. Interesting.

scrappysurfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
San Diego, CA
Status
SwankyLove said:
Is this normal? :idea:
It must be:

I got rejected pre-secondary at Davis and interviewed at Harvard.

It's a good thing I sent in my application, laughing about my $85 donation to the adcom.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Same situation happened with me: interviewed at UCSF, accepted by UCLA, rejected by Davis post-secondary, and on hold at UCI and UCSD. Also, I was waitlisted by Temple, Jefferson, and Tulane, but accepted by Ohio State.

adog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Same here. Accepted to U mich, interviewed/interviewing at Columbia, Cornell, U Penn. Didn't even get interviews at Tufts or Jefferson. Rejected from Georgetown.

Electrophys

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
Happened to me too...rejected from GWU, Georgetown, placed on hold at UMaryland (my state school), and interviews at Harvard/Duke/Cornell and others.