Goucher '09-'10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moneduloides

Corvus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who will be joining me? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll be joining you; I can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats guys!

I sent in my application a week and a half ago and haven't heard back yet. Pretty nervous... =/ Even if I do get called for an interview, I'm assuming the interview won't be until end of January when school starts up again. I should have sent my application in earlier!

How long did it take for Bryn Mawr to send a rejection letter?

How long did it take for Bryn Mawr to send a rejection letter?

I can't remember the exact amount of time, but I had already interviewed and been accepted to Scripps, and had an interview date set with Goucher, before I received the rejection letter from Bryn Mawr.

I know many students live in Towson, but I'd rather live in Baltimore. I'm used to living in Brooklyn, and I heard Charles Village and Mt. Vernon are closest to that look and feel. Plus, apartments are so cheap ($400 for a 1BR). I only can live downtown if I have a car, and I'm not sure yet if I will.

What do you guys think? It would be great to live in a rowhouse downtown with a few post-baccs.

I know many students live in Towson, but I'd rather live in Baltimore. I'm used to living in Brooklyn, and I heard Charles Village and Mt. Vernon are closest to that look and feel. Plus, apartments are so cheap ($400 for a 1BR). I only can live downtown if I have a car, and I'm not sure yet if I will.

What do you guys think? It would be great to live in a rowhouse downtown with a few post-baccs.

I live just north of DC, so my plan is to stay where I am and commute.

Hi classmates! I'm looking forward to meeting you all. Anybody from the Los Angeles vicinity? I was accepted to Scripps and had my interview with Bryn Mawr last week. I would like to find out where people are planning to live. Baltimore sounds like an option I'd consider, though it would be nice to be within walking distance from where I'll be spending most of my days. The students at the interview said that a few lived in single apts across the college, sharing a floor; and I think all but one individual had a vehicle. I'm avoiding living isolated in an unfamiliar area.

I'll be there, and I can't wait to meet you all!

I'll be moving from Florida, but I'm not sure where to live. I know most of this year's postbacs live at Courthouse Square Apartments in Towson, but I've read some pretty bad reviews. I'd like to stay within 10 miles of campus, so I'm looking at some places in Cockeysville, Mount Washington, and Roland Park. Any other suggestions?

I might be able to snag a 4 bedroom apartment right off of Towson University's campus, which is about a 2-3 minute drive from Goucher. If that doesn't come to fruition, which it likely won't, then I'll probably just go with whatever is closest (and hopefully pull a few post-bacs in with me).

I was considering just living with a relative in DC, but was told during my interview that this is a very bad idea, which with the time commitment (studying) I would say is sound advice.

Anyway, you guys that are going to Goucher feel free to send me a pm. With the help of Betsy and Sharon perhaps we can get the ball rolling.

I'll be moving from Texas. I spoke with a current student, who said that it really is best to be in Towson rather than in the city...Just a lot of extra hassle when you live in the city. One advantage about the Courthouse Square Apartments is that they only rent to graduate students, so you won't have as many noise concerns/annoying undergrads as with other apartments in the area. :) So that's what I've heard so far.

When I was at the interview talking to students, they said that pretty much everyone has a car. If you room with another postbac, you can get by, but getting to volunteer places could be an issue.

I'd prefer to live with other post-baccs, and if it's more convenient to live in Towson, I guess I'm up for that; so perhaps Courthouse Square it is. I probably won't have a car, so living with someone that does would be important.

I'm a good roommate and I make great coffee!

Soon enough I think we'll have to start a Facebook group.

Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Just for all of your considering living somewhere besides Courthouse (or the Towson area for that matter), there are advantages. I am one of maybe 4 this year who do not live in Towson, and I personally really like it. Yes, there is traffic to deal with sometimes, but I've started leaving early or later and studying at school to avoid the rush hour. If anyone has any questions about possibly living somewhere else, let me know. I think both places have their ups and downs, and it's really a matter of personal preference.

Hey everyone,

Just for all of your considering living somewhere besides Courthouse (or the Towson area for that matter), there are advantages. I am one of maybe 4 this year who do not live in Towson, and I personally really like it. Yes, there is traffic to deal with sometimes, but I've started leaving early or later and studying at school to avoid the rush hour. If anyone has any questions about possibly living somewhere else, let me know. I think both places have their ups and downs, and it's really a matter of personal preference.

If you knew of my my obsession with cheesecake, you would understand why I need to live close to Goucher (Preferably on the south side of the campus, for no particular reason...).

Hey everyone,

How far do you commute? My plan is to arrive early/stay late and study on campus until rush hour is over. It's apx 36 miles from where I live to the Goucher campus, in the opposite direction of most traffic, primarily not on highways. I think that's doable.

How far do you commute? My plan is to arrive early/stay late and study on campus until rush hour is over. It's apx 36 miles from where I live to the Goucher campus, in the opposite direction of most traffic, primarily not on highways. I think that's doable.

My commute is about 13 miles. On a good day, I can get there in about 15-20 minutes. It's taken me as long as 45 minutes though. The only problem is that traffic in Baltimore is highly unpredictable, whether or not there are accidents. But if you time your drive correctly, you can avoid the traffic and will probably just have extra study time.

Hey folks

Anyone know if the postbac office at Goucher is on holiday? I sent them my app during the first week of December.. got confirmation around a week to 10 days later saying that my app was complete and under review. I haven't heard back...

(On the other hand, I heard back from BM and Scripps fairly quickly?)

Maybe I'm on hold? Do they let you know if they put you on hold?

Hey folks

Anyone know if the postbac office at Goucher is on holiday? I sent them my app during the first week of December.. got confirmation around a week to 10 days later saying that my app was complete and under review. I haven't heard back...

(On the other hand, I heard back from BM and Scripps fairly quickly?)

Maybe I'm on hold? Do they let you know if they put you on hold?

I believe the administration is out on holiday at the moment.

The office should be open now, but keep in mind that this is the busy season for applications. I know they're working as quickly as they can, so just sit tight--Betsy and Sharon are very thorough so don't worry!

I actually got an interview invitation from Goucher during the early part of the 2nd week of Jan..so I think they were definitely back from xmas/new year vacation by then.

I decided to withdraw my applications from Goucher and Scripps.

Best of luck to you guys who have decided to go to Goucher. It's an excellent program!!

Loathe though you may be to take the advice of a newcomer to SDN, might I suggest that anyone going to Goucher seriously reconsider living anywhere besides of Towson? I realize that there is a certain caché to living in the crumbling metropolis of Charm City (or even our brackish fen of capital), but the advantages of basing yourself in Towson are undeniable.

I'm in the program currently and live at Courthouse Square. On the morning I slept through my alarm, I made it from bed to lab bench in ten minutes. Had I not been late, I could have carpooled with any number of people who also live at Courthouse. People, I might add, who had all been over at my apartment the evening before for one of our regular "orgo and beer" parties (beer optional, orgo... not so much).

Any bad things you may hear about Courthouse may or may not be true, but I have yet to encounter any real obstacles to comfortable living. The convenience of socialization, group studying, and transit to school is absolutely worth it.

While I agree with Sir (and future Dr.) Pepper that living in Towson surrounded by other post-bacs has many advantages, I do have to mention that Eudowood is a fine alternative to Courthouse Square. The apartments are large, have hardwood floors, and there is no need to walk outside to reach someone else's place for the aforementioned "orgo and beer party."

And for the record, I myself live in Courthouse (obviously I'm not who you think I am, Sir P).

Fantastic, real estate companies have now resorted to making profiles on SDN to sell apartments.

Only joking ;)

I, however, would much rather have the orgo optional, if that's an option?

Orgo can be optional if you want, but you might have a hard time explaining that to med school adcoms.

Seriously though, personally I think living in Towson is much more convenient. But then again, I'm one of those people who just can't get up any earlier than I have to in the morning, so the idea of a commute is awful. And there will be days when all you want to do is sleep! :)

Seriously though, personally I think living in Towson is much more convenient. But then again, I'm one of those people who just can't get up any earlier than I have to in the morning, so the idea of a commute is awful. And there will be days when all you want to do is sleep! :)

I don't doubt it! I've been making personal pro and con lists since being accepted in October. I'm not ruling out moving closer once school starts and I see what the commute is really like. Right now I'm pretty settled where I am - friends, SO, etc and the cost of moving is significant. I've had long commutes to school before. When I did a postbacc to prepare for my masters program I had a 1.5 hour commute each way. (Through snow! Uphill both ways! ;p ) It sucked, but it was still manageable. Several friends have offered to host me in Baltimore whenever I need to stay late at school and don't want to drive home. I think this program will involve significantly more work than even my masters program, which is why I'm hedging my bets on the moving front.

Which is a long-winded way of saying, 'We'll see.' *g*

(obviously I'm not who you think I am, Sir P).
Erisium, I know precisely who you are. But perhaps you are making unwarranted assumptions about my identity, hm? :cool:

I just wanted to wish everyone on this thread a Happy Darwin Day! May you have a multitude of viable offspring, who will bear your successful traits far into the future.

Happy Darwin Day to you as well! Pritzker medical school actually had a cake to celebrate (complete with balloons), next to a poster that showed that the majority of Americans still don't believe in evolution. Either way, the cake was good :D.

Happy Darwin Day to everyone as well!

In an email that I got in November or December, Betsy said they'd be sending info about housing, student health plan, etc. starting this semester. Does anyone know when that might be?

Thanks!

Last year the package was sent out around April. I know you're anxious but sit tight! Enjoy your freedom while you can :)

I swear upon my honor as a gentleperson that I know EXACTLY who you are, Senor Pepper! The top hat never lies.

To those currently in the program: how useful are the facilities Goucher provides (more specifically, how often are they used by the PBPM students)? I'm thinking of the gym, the shuttle, the pool, etc...

The gym is a joke. Seriously, I think there are like 2 treadmills, some free weights, and that's about it. I, along with a lot of the other post-bacs, have a gym membership. There is a Bally right by Goucher and a Merritt about 1-2 miles away. Prices vary, but it's worth it if you're looking for decent workout facilities.

The pool, however, is nice. I've swam there a couple of times and had no issues. That said, I'm not quite sure what the hours are...they are pretty limited. But it's a nice place to go for a swim.

If you're into running, Goucher has some nice trails. And there are plenty of places in the area to run.

Not sure about the shuttle...and I can't think of anyone right now that uses it. If you don't have a car, most people get rides with someone else in the program since the majority of post-bacs live in the same area.

To those currently in the program: how useful are the facilities Goucher provides (more specifically, how often are they used by the PBPM students)? I'm thinking of the gym, the shuttle, the pool, etc...

Hello everyone,
I'm heading out to Baltimore from California. Anyone else coming from the Bay Area? If so, lets meet up. As I am so far, I dont really have the opportunity to visit apartments, meet roommies on the east coast, etc etc, so I think Courthouse it is, and hopefully this new facebook group will help me find a roommate. Hit me up if you are looking. I'm a girl, but have no issues about living with guys.

K

I too will be looking for roommates -- male, female, doesn't matter. I'm going to try to visit the area over Spring Break (I'm a teacher) to look at some three bedroom apartments. I'll share my findings.
--Erica

I too will be looking for roommates -- male, female, doesn't matter. I'm going to try to visit the area over Spring Break (I'm a teacher) to look at some three bedroom apartments. I'll share my findings.
--Erica

I already live (relatively) near by, so not looking for housing. Would love to meet up while you're visiting, though. Drop a line over at facebook. :)

LS

Hi all,

Looks like I'm late to this party. I'm headed to Goucher, working full-time until the middle of May, but have a business trip to DC coming up in March during which I thought it would be great to check out housing. I could live on my own, but I have a great personality for roommates, as well as a Really Big TV that begs to be shared. Not that we'll have much use for it next year, but it's nice to have for show. I'm quiet (rocking out happens with headphones), pretty clean, friendly but will give you your space, and am really interested in saving some cash if possible. If this sounds like your cup of tea, and you're also interested in staying at the place across the street where all the Post-baccs supposedly live, the give me a shout! Looking forward to meeting you all.

Cheers,
Libby

I interviewed last Friday and got my acceptance letter in the mail today. I am totally thrilled about this opportunity, and I am so excited to meet everyone in June. Who's doing math camp? I will be living in Bmore with my partner, so am not looking for housing, but I am planning on hanging around Towson until evening most days and I'm definitely in the market for some fellow coffee-shop-studying buddies.

I interviewed last Friday and got my acceptance letter in the mail today. I am totally thrilled about this opportunity, and I am so excited to meet everyone in June. Who's doing math camp? I will be living in Bmore with my partner, so am not looking for housing, but I am planning on hanging around Towson until evening most days and I'm definitely in the market for some fellow coffee-shop-studying buddies.

As a fellow commuter, i'll be happy to join you in said coffee-shop/library/alternate study location of choice. *g* I'm figuring I'll head up early and stay late. I get my most effective studying done outside the house anyway, so I'm not to worried about having to stick around for long hours.

I will be joining you all! I'm incredibly excited about this! Just wanted to see who all is considering living with a roommate in Towson. Also, where else do current students recommend besides Courthouse?

Evan

First off congrats everyone! I was hoping you all could provide me with background information including GPA, extra activities, volunteer work, SAT, or GRE to help me know if I have a chance of making it in. I'm a great student now but Goucher doesn't post any of its student academic profiles - just descriptions of their previous work.

Thanks so much and best of luck!

First off congrats everyone! I was hoping you all could provide me with background information including GPA, extra activities, volunteer work, SAT, or GRE to help me know if I have a chance of making it in. I'm a great student now but Goucher doesn't post any of its student academic profiles - just descriptions of their previous work.

Thanks so much and best of luck!

Hey Jennet -

I think our backgrounds are so diverse that knowing our individual stats would not give you a good idea of your chances. If you have a decent undergrad GPA & good scores on some standardized test or other, you have a shot.

Good luck!