Goucher/Bryn Mawr people, do I have a shot?

Started by MikeO
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MikeO

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m looking to start applying for next year at Goucher, Bryn Mawr, and a few other postbaccs. I’ll be graduating this year with an undergrad degree in finance. Right now I have a 3.4 overall, which I figure is a little below average for both schools. First two years were kind of lousy with some family problems and general laziness, but I pulled it up last year with a 3.94 both semesters. Problem is I took my only 4 math courses in the first two years and averaged a 2.925 (C+, B, B-, A-) and I’ve never taken a college level science course. Is that a number that’s going to keep me from getting a worthwhile shot at Bryn Mawr and Goucher?
 
Wait... [shakes Magic 8-Ball]...ask again later. 😛 Ahh don't listen to me, I'm hoping to get into these programs too. Hoping a good GRE score will do me right.
 
Will you get in? I have no idea. But your question was "do I have a shot", and the answer is "yes". Write a good essay explaining why you're a better student now, as well as any other factors that make you an attractive candidate (cool volunteer experiences, interesting hobbies, setbacks that you've overcome, whatever), and if you get an interview, ace that. It's certainly in the realm of reason. On the other hand, definitely have a plan B, because you won't be a shoe-in.

Good luck.