Goucher? JHU? Music student looking to change careers.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdwhite525

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a junior at the University of Maryland. I am currently getting a double degree in Music Education and Cello Performance. However, I feel each day, more and more, that I want to complete my dream of going to medical school.

I have a 3.797 gpa. I am thinking, since I just want to complete my degree and not overload with too many science prereqs that maybe a post-bac program would be a good option for me.

I looked through this thread and at schools websites, but I still have some questions. I live in Maryland and would love to stay somewhat nearby friends and family. Would I be a candidate for JHU or Goucher? What can I do to increase my admission chances? Do I need to take any math courses or do any volunteer work?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You should definitely take math courses and medically related volunteering. I would also do as much medically related volunteering and shadowing as you can. What are your standardized test scores like?

Hello everyone,

I'm a junior at the University of Maryland. I am currently getting a double degree in Music Education and Cello Performance. However, I feel each day, more and more, that I want to complete my dream of going to medical school.

I have a 3.797 gpa. I am thinking, since I just want to complete my degree and not overload with too many science prereqs that maybe a post-bac program would be a good option for me.

I looked through this thread and at schools websites, but I still have some questions. I live in Maryland and would love to stay somewhat nearby friends and family. Would I be a candidate for JHU or Goucher? What can I do to increase my admission chances? Do I need to take any math courses or do any volunteer work?

Thank you!

Drizzt is right -- for whatever program you decide on, medically-related volunteering is key. Any program is going to want you to have demonstrated that you are ready to commit to medicine and that you have tried it out in some way, shape, or form. Look into your local hospitals and try to volunteer in some sort of clinical capacity; that can also help you to get know some doctors who might be willing to let you shadow.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions about Goucher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drizzt is right -- for whatever program you decide on, medically-related volunteering is key. Any program is going to want you to have demonstrated that you are ready to commit to medicine and that you have tried it out in some way, shape, or form. Look into your local hospitals and try to volunteer in some sort of clinical capacity; that can also help you to get know some doctors who might be willing to let you shadow.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions about Goucher.

it will probably be cheaper just to stay on at maryland for a 5th year (that is if your in state). have you considered that? (im a marylander myself)

CP has a "science in the evening" program, which is for people who work in the day and take pre med classes at night. that's one option. or you can just keep taking classes in the day with the younguns. you might be able to get a ton of good medically related experience if you do something like that to build up your resume.

if you're dead set on a formal program, you sound competitive for both in terms of gpa, but you will need to demonstrate that you have in fact dug into the career a little bit to see what it's like. formal programs really like you to have shown interest that goes beyond the minimum.

GPA is no guarantee at these places, they are very distinguished and highly competitive programs. I would (from my own experience in the 2009-2010 application cycle) recommend beyond extensive volunteer work to provide a real-life foundation to the question: "Why medicine, why now?" GPA and SAT/GRE are good indicators of ability, time spent in medicine is a good indicator of 360 degree contemplation and decision making.

Although they would have us believe the recession is over, the climate as of late has prompted a great number of people to either a. re-enter any schooling possible and b. to enter into schooling which will be sure to secure a job upon completion. An MBA or J.D. can't necessarily provide the security that a M.D. can. For this very reason I think post-baccs are going to have a very difficult go of it in the admissions department in the coming years despite any misgivings about health care reform.

There are very few surefire ways to secure a 6-figure salaries, medicine being one of them. For these programs, this desire to exploit the medical profession for its financial benefit is rightfully judged not to be enough to motivate a lot of people through the incredibly difficult and condensed coursework.

Blablabla all of that being said, go out there and find a doctor to shadow, a volunteer position, etc. as advised above.

(I guess the 5th year at your U wouldn't be the worst idea, certainly far cheaper--so I also wouldn't ignore this option).

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it!

As for standardized testing, I only have the SATs. I got a 750 in Reading and a 600 in math (only took it once and didn't put any effort into studying.) I was hoping to volunteer and shadow this summer.

I think staying for a 5th year or science in the evening is a great idea. I just read about the success rates for the post-bac programs, and they seemed really high! So, I didn't know if umd would put me in a competitive position? I am uneducated about these things, so let me know if I'm wrong!

I was thinking about mtulli's response and the "why medicine? why now?"
part. I guess it's hard to explain my interest in the medical field, but it is not money. Besides music, it is the other thing I am interested in passionate about. Unfortunately, I had a father with cancer and I have been a sickly person most of my life. I know how amazing it feels as a patient when you have answers to even the littlest of problems. I also have always been interested in the human body, medicine, and so forth. I have thought about this for 3 years now, but didn't have a sense of direction and questioned if I should just stick to music. Now I am thinking about my future and need a sense of direction... so if this is the path for me, I need to start figuring it out!

Sorry if that was too long!

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it!

As for standardized testing, I only have the SATs. I got a 750 in Reading and a 600 in math (only took it once and didn't put any effort into studying.) I was hoping to volunteer and shadow this summer.

I think staying for a 5th year or science in the evening is a great idea. I just read about the success rates for the post-bac programs, and they seemed really high! So, I didn't know if umd would put me in a competitive position? I am uneducated about these things, so let me know if I'm wrong!

I was thinking about mtulli's response and the "why medicine? why now?"
part. I guess it's hard to explain my interest in the medical field, but it is not money. Besides music, it is the other thing I am interested in passionate about. Unfortunately, I had a father with cancer and I have been a sickly person most of my life. I know how amazing it feels as a patient when you have answers to even the littlest of problems. I also have always been interested in the human body, medicine, and so forth. I have thought about this for 3 years now, but didn't have a sense of direction and questioned if I should just stick to music. Now I am thinking about my future and need a sense of direction... so if this is the path for me, I need to start figuring it out!

Sorry if that was too long!
Your third paragraph: In my opinion, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Scripps, JHU, will all surely put you in a more competitive position for application to medial school than UMD. All four, with emphasis on the former 3, are well connected to a number of different top notch medical programs and also have linkage agreements with a number of schools.

Applicants from these post-bacc programs usually observe >90% success rates and though I am cautious to over inflate, the big 3 are known for their virtually 100% success rates (with less known about JHU).

If money is of no concern for you, these programs are certainly worth it.

Your fourth paragraph: Good start. All there is left to do now is to act on your feelings by doing. You should be in smooth shape.

OP, in complete honesty your SAT math score has me a little bit concerned about your choice to switch paths. SAT Math is very basic and many of the pre-med courses will rely HEAVILY on your command of these mathematical principles. I've never looked into these type of programs but I would check with them to see how competitive your quantitative score is since I'm guessing they give more weight to that aspect for admissions purposes (this is purely speculative, if I'm wrong someone feel free to correct.) Not trying to be a downer but we choose what we choose for a reason. Looks to me like your strength in verbal lends itself well to the liberal arts path that you've chosen. Did you perform well in/enjoy HS science courses at least?

That being said, if you are able to peform admirably in competitive pre-medical coursework your background in the performing arts will serve you well in the end. Adcoms these days are looking for a bit more diversity and this perspective will probably work to your advantage. Definitely follow the advice above and get some medical exposure. Make sure this is what you WANT to do! Also you will need to come up with a DAMN GOOD reason why you are suddenly changing your track towards medicine. Given the current economic situation, more and more people are turning to medicine as they consider it a foolproof way to ensure wealth/job security/prestige/etc. As someone mentioned previously, you've got some convincing to do in order to prove you're not just another one of these folks. Best of luck to you.

OP, in complete honesty your SAT math score has me a little bit concerned about your choice to switch paths. SAT Math is very basic and many of the pre-med courses will rely HEAVILY on your command of these mathematical principles. I've never looked into these type of programs but I would check with them to see how competitive your quantitative score is since I'm guessing they give more weight to that aspect for admissions purposes (this is purely speculative, if I'm wrong someone feel free to correct.) Not trying to be a downer but we choose what we choose for a reason. Looks to me like your strength in verbal lends itself well to the liberal arts path that you've chosen. Did you perform well in/enjoy HS science courses at least?

That being said, if you are able to peform admirably in competitive pre-medical coursework your background in the performing arts will serve you well in the end. Adcoms these days are looking for a bit more diversity and this perspective will probably work to your advantage. Definitely follow the advice above and get some medical exposure. Make sure this is what you WANT to do! Also you will need to come up with a DAMN GOOD reason why you are suddenly changing your track towards medicine. Given the current economic situation, more and more people are turning to medicine as they consider it a foolproof way to ensure wealth/job security/prestige/etc. As someone mentioned previously, you've got some convincing to do in order to prove you're not just another one of these folks. Best of luck to you.

In regards to your SATs, you may want to take the GRE at some point in the not-too-distant future just to show a stronger command of math, but I have to say that the math I've done at Goucher has been pretty basic -- triangle geometry, conversion factors, and algebra, plus that's what the "math camp" that many formal programs offer is for. I disagree with thomyorke's comment about sticking on the liberal arts path because of your strength on verbal sections -- 90% of my postbac class were liberal arts majors who were good at and loved the humanities, but everyone in my class, regardless of science/math background (one of my classmates never took a single science class in high school), is doing outstandingly well and loving his or her new choice in career path.

So, if you feel that pull, go for it; it's a scary decision, but it's well worth it. Just make sure that you can convince adcoms why you've chosen this windy path to medicine.

Haha, yes I know my SAT math scores are low... However, honestly I'm not bad at math/science, I just always had TERRIBLE teachers and didn't invest much effort into the SATs. I took some math courses in college and did very well, so I know that I am not a poor math student. I also did very well in science classes in high school, getting a 4 on the ChemAP test and so forth. I think my SAT scores are not an accurate reflection of my skills in math and sciences, so it probably is a good idea to take the GRE.

Thanks for the advice!

Haha, yes I know my SAT math scores are low... However, honestly I'm not bad at math/science, I just always had TERRIBLE teachers and didn't invest much effort into the SATs. I took some math courses in college and did very well, so I know that I am not a poor math student. I also did very well in science classes in high school, getting a 4 on the ChemAP test and so forth. I think my SAT scores are not an accurate reflection of my skills in math and sciences, so it probably is a good idea to take the GRE.

Thanks for the advice!

Don't sweat it about your math score. On the GRE I scored >90th percentile in both analytical and verbal, and just barely over the 50th percentile in math...and that was after *months* of studying nothing but math. (My initial baseline score on a practice test was the 29th percentile. Suffice to say, math is not my strong suit.) I'm a postbacc student @ Goucher now, and I've found that I am more than up to the challenge that these classes present. I'm getting the best grades of my life (not so coincidentally, I'm working harder than I ever have before), and my mathematical skills have improved immeasurably in the past year.

Your past performance in math is not the defining feature of you as a student, nor does it predict your success or failure in medicine. Regarding applying to the top formal postbacc programs, I would *strongly* suggest making sure you have extensive exposure to the medical field. Ideally this will be many hours of shadowing and volunteering, in a variety of settings. By doing this, you will be better able to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into, and that you are highly motivated to go into medicine. It will also help you to articulate your reasons for wanting to become a doctor.

General advice about applying: Apply early; there are more seats open, and fewer applicants for them early in the cycle, which improves your chances of an interview. Be prepared for the interview, and dress/behave professionally (but be personable!) while there.

I could not be happier with my experience at Goucher. Coming here was without a doubt one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the program. Feel free to PM me. Good luck!