Government Shutdown, Going Home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffdoc

Gimme some sugar, baby
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Half way through an ADT clerkship and was told in an email by the Directorate of Medical Education that my orders are being amended to go home tomorrow. I was told to make flight arrangements and that I'll be outprocessing tomorrow. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Shocking! And all this time I thought medical students would have been considered "essential".

Wow, so how will that affect your school with regards to credit for that month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, so how will that affect your school with regards to credit for that month?

Excellent question. That was my primary concern. Somehow I was encouraged that things would work themselves out. But the downside is missing two weeks of an excellent rotation. Also, that was an audition rotation and I didn't have a chance to work with everyone or even interview.

Last edited:
Shocking! And all this time I thought medical students would have been considered "essential".

Interesting. Why is that soldiers are considered also non-essential, but we cannot outprocess:cool:

I'm leaving for ODS tomorrow and we got an email specifically saying we were required to carry out our original orders. Interesting what's considered essential and what isn't.

Half way through an ADT clerkship and was told in an email by the Directorate of Medical Education that my orders are being amended to go home tomorrow. I was told to make flight arrangements and that I'll be outprocessing tomorrow. :eek:

I hope your order did not get amended and finish out your ADT clerkship. The thing I do not understand is that if GOV is really interested in cutting the costs sending medical student early really go against this principle. Don't these medical students have to come back later and need another set of orders, plane tickets etc... If not they are getting a partial ADT experience. Eitherway we lose.

I hope your order did not get amended and finish out your ADT clerkship. The thing I do not understand is that if GOV is really interested in cutting the costs sending medical student early really go against this principle. Don't these medical students have to come back later and need another set of orders, plane tickets etc... If not they are getting a partial ADT experience. Eitherway we lose.

My orders did get amended and I did go home. Now they are working on a new set of orders to have me go back and finish the clerkship. Non-sensical, I agree. And very confusing for my family. But I am glad that I got to see them.