Home of Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is your "home of record" for HPSP students established when you start the HPSP program or when you are commissioned as an O-3 after graduation from medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

When you start.

However you can apply to have it changed if necessary.

It’s not unlike changing your home address.

When you start.

However you can apply to have it changed if necessary.

It’s not unlike changing your home address.

Eh, it’s a little more than changing your home address.

Home of record is from where you first entered military service. Typically it does not change, but there are some reasons why it might. It does not change just for moving bases, etc and is not necessarily your state of residence. Your state of residence can change if you want and frequently does when people get sent to states with more favorable state income tax situations. HOR has about zero impact until you are getting out of the Service at which point it historically has been a factor in how much you get to move your stuff one last time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if your HOR is Texas you are eligible for something called the HazelWood Act for dependednts as well if I am not wrong but it's been a while

It’s where you first entered the military. I figured this out when I separated recently. My home of record was in Arkansas but I haven’t lived there since 2010. It did make a little bit of a difference when I went for my final move to Texas though.

It’s where you first entered the military. I figured this out when I separated recently. My home of record was in Arkansas but I haven’t lived there since 2010. It did make a little bit of a difference when I went for my final move to Texas though.
Don't quote me on this but I believe you can change your Home of Record once in your career. At least I was able to when I was commissioned from HSCP after 3 years as a E6. I did it from a taxable state to a non-taxable.

Don't quote me on this but I believe you can change your Home of Record once in your career. At least I was able to when I was commissioned from HSCP after 3 years as a E6. I did it from a taxable state to a non-taxable.
I think you might be thinking of domicile state. (Where you pay taxes, vote, etc) You can change your domicile state as long as you actually set up a domicile there. (So you move to a no income tax state and change your domicile to that state, you can then keep that state on subsequent moves)

Home of record is just where you joined the military from and I believe it cannot be changed. Biggest thing it determines is how far the military will pay to move your stuff on your final PCS move.

Home of record can change.

I commissioned in in one state and began med school in that state.

Fast forward a few years, now living in a second state. Advanced to O3 after med school graduation. Stuck around a few more years in second state for residency. Then went to active duty in Cali. My home of record was now the second state.