GPA 3.2 What are my chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nguyenxt

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't do very good on my prerequisites, my GPA is around 3.2. What do you think my chances of getting in the pharmd program. Is there anybody in here got in the program with GPA around 3.0?
What school would you recommend me to apply that are not so competive?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this question has been answered to death on other threads, but, what the heck, I'll answer it anyway.

Excuse me if I'm generalizing, but I believe that most pharmD programs look for applicants who are well-rounded which means that you have good communication skills-both in written and verbal form-have experience and knowledge about the field, community service, leadership skills, good letters of recommendation, and a decent GPA. Oh yeah, some schools require PCAT scores, so you might want to kick butt on this standardized exam as well.

The GPA that you mentioned, a 3.2, is that your overall GPA or your science GPA? Well, if both GPA's are above a 3.0, you have a very good chance of applying to any pharmD program your heart desires, just as long as you meet or exceed the other criteria mentioned previously. The degree of effort you put into preparing for pharmacy school (fulfilling prerequisites, doing community service, time slaving over the admission essays) will determine how successful you will be as an applicant.

Remember, the admission boards are looking for applicants who are unique in some ways, who can contribute to the incoming class, as well as the profession and community later in your career. Explain to them what makes you special and what gifts you have that will further our profession.

My GPA: 2.8

I'm tired of telling my sob story, but let me tell you one single number like GPA tells nothing about an applicant. (well maybe a little something). Listen to neonam. In general I feel that a good and caring admissions office really looks into your whole package, to REALLY find out about you, not just the numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thanks, Crying moo, for recommending my advice. Anyway, UCSF has been known to reject students with 4.0's while accepting students with C-averages. It all depends on how strong you are overall as an applicant. If you have an Achille's heel or heels (speaking metamporically), be it poor communication skills or whatever, make sure you strengthen these areas before you apply.

I've been reading these replys and they seem to jive with the research I've been doing on the subject.

My GPA (science/math and overall) will both be about 3.0. However, I'll only have about 6 months of volunteer experience at the VA hospital before I apply. I have an excellent reason and motivation for wanting to become a pharmacist (fiance suffers from depression, and I'd like to learn/work with depression medicines/decreasing costs, etc). But I'm not sure if this will all be sufficient. I hear people with years of healthcare experience and higher GPAs......... has anyone heard of people w/the above credentials being successfull at getting into any of the Florida Pharm schools (UF, NOVA, Palm Beach Atlantic)

Also, do any of yall have knowledge of the degree of difficulty to get into the previously mentioned universities?

Thanks!

Well, I'll just throw myself out as an example.

The Average for WVU last year was a 3.63 GPA and a 72 PCAT. The Low GPA was a 3.16.

My GPA was 3.28, PCAT was 83.

I didn't get a provisional right away, but I was accepted as soon as they reviewed my Spring semester grades.

So assuming you can do above average on the PCAT, you should have a good shot at being accepted. Don't forget there are other factors not invoving academia. Get a job in a pharmacy somewhere, it tells them you are still interested after observing a pharmacist day in, day out for a considerable amount of time.

Is the 3.2 GPA you're reporting your overall, or math science?

I'm hearing that the math/science is quite a bit more important than the overall undergrad gpa. For example, my math/science will probably be 3.5, whereas my undergrad gpa was a 2.88.

And thanks for the reply, WVUPharm!

Thanks every one for your replied, it helps me feel a little more confident. The above GPA I mentioned is my overall GPA but it's also my math and science GPA. I have heard a lot of applicants with better GPA got rejected, so I'm quite worry about it. I've been working at the hospital as a nurse tech for 4 years, and just started to do volunteer at a pharmacy store last year. Because English is my second language so I'm very worry about the PCAT on the verbal part. Any ideas how I can strengthen this? I just ordered the word power book from Kaplan, and try to study new vocab in the SAT book, but I don't know if any of these words that I study will actually be on the test or not. I feel like i'm in a jungle. Any suggestion will help. Thanks all.

Nguyenxt, the strategies you've mentioned sound good. If you're really concerned about your score, you might ask a friend to tutor you or get a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) prep book from the library so that you can quiz yourself. Good luck!

Mine was a 3.1 and I got into SC and UCSF. Study smart and work on everything else.

It also depends on where you plan on going. A good thing to do is to go or call up the school of your choice and ask them for the stats on the class that entered before you. I know that the school I'm going to has them printed out every year.

Last years avg. accepted gpa was a 3.44 (I believe) with a composite PCAT score of 77. Those are just averages meaning that they accept people with lower than that. And as always it depends on who you are competing against for the seats.

I dont know if that helps ya, but your gpa sounds good, just balance it out with a good pcat if your school requires it.

GOOD LUCK TO YA!!

And a quick question for anybody who is willing to answer. Whos school had a preference for accepting students that went to that same school for pre-pharm? Or is it normal that they only accept like 40 students from their own? I don't know if that makes any sence. All I know is out of a total of a 120 accepted only like 30 to 40 students where from our university. Oh well. Thanks all.

Originally posted by daveedh12

And a quick question for anybody who is willing to answer. Whos school had a preference for accepting students that went to that same school for pre-pharm? Or is it normal that they only accept like 40 students from their own? I don't know if that makes any sence. All I know is out of a total of a 120 accepted only like 30 to 40 students where from our university. Oh well. Thanks all.

A friend of mine from this board told me that she didn't apply to UF because of that reason. Apparently, someone told her that the COP prefers UF undergrads. I don't think that this is true. We have a "blackboard" system where we have assignments to do over the summer. One of these assignments is to log into the UF class of 2007 message board and introduce yourself. The board has been up since June 20th and so far only one person is a UF undergrad.

Well, I hope you are right. I graduated from Penn State and am taking pre-reqs at Santa Fe CC. I'm hoping the fact that I didn't go to UF doesn't hurt me. If you're correct it may actually help!

I think I read that UF only looks at your math/science gpa? is this right?

It also depends on where you plan on going. A good thing to do is to go or call up the school of your choice and ask them for the stats on the class that entered before you. I know that the school I'm going to has them printed out every year.

Last years avg. accepted gpa was a 3.44 (I believe) with a composite PCAT score of 77. Those are just averages meaning that they accept people with lower than that. And as always it depends on who you are competing against for the seats.

I dont know if that helps ya, but your gpa sounds good, just balance it out with a good pcat if your school requires it.

GOOD LUCK TO YA!!

This year's class at FSU must be pretty damn smart (or all out of state/out of country). I knew one person who was accepted and he literally had one A- and the rest A's for 4 years of his undergrad (at Ferris). Oh, and then the honors kids. I was accepted here, (with average class stats of something like 3.5 GPA with 90% PCAT, with mandatory interviews) and I was waitlisted deep at Ferris. I know that we had 600-650 apps for 126 seats here, and I think that ferris had something like 700 apps for 130 seats, but somthing doesn't add up over there. I didn't mind the school, and certainly would have gone there (MUCH less $$, no move, etc), but now I'll be done in '06 anyway, and I get to live in AZ. Funny how things turn out sometimes.

And you're right, two years ago Ferris took about 30% from it's undergrad, but I've heard rumors that it's much, much less this year. (Budget problem perhaps?) I'll be sure to call Andrea in the Ferris COP office and get the stats on this years incoming class once they're finalized. I'm curious to know who they accepted. If it's a disadvantage to go to your own school to prepare you for their grad/professional program, then you know something's wrong! Thank god I only subjected myself to that torture for a year. Ahh, the fine -15 winter nights! :D

Jd

Originally posted by Jaybee

I think I read that UF only looks at your math/science gpa? is this right?

They only look at your grades in:

Biology I & II + labs
Chem I & II + labs
Organic I & II + labs
Physics I & II (lab not required)
Anatomy I & II + labs
Calculus

All grades for these classes count, even if you retook the class for a higher grade.

A lot of this year's incoming class completed their prerequisites at community colleges. I think you have a good chance of getting in.

Did I mention that I goto Ferris?? Cause I do... thats odd that you mentioned them.. gave me a giggle... yea there were like 670 to 700 applicants

Did I mention that I goto Ferris?? Cause I do... thats odd that you mentioned them.. gave me a giggle... yea there were like 670 to 700 applicants

No, but your profile and message gave me enough info to figure it out. Are you accelerating? How's Enzyme Eddie Hengesh doing? I took a year of pre-reqs and chem there in 02-03, and I took PHCH 320 (Pharmacy Biochem). Their office staff was so plesant, and yet their admissions system was so flawed... Well, at least there was always some good, old-fashioned drinking going on in Big Rapids. If you were a P-1 last year, then I was in your biochem class, and I know all about dr. Dakuri breaking his foot/ankle, etc. I know quite a few people in their program... But I was out of Big Rapids as fast as I could get out...

Jd