GPA: 3.44 sGPA: 3.26; MCAT: 31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megan0430

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping to apply to Medical and DO schools for the 2013-2014 application cycle. However, I am aware that my below-average GPA and lack of EC makes me a less competitive applicant. Would I have a chance if I apply for 2013-2014 cycle? If I have absolutely no chance of getting in, I don't mind spending a year to improve my stats; however, if I had any chance of getting in somewhere, I would like to apply this year. Some input would be greatly appreciated.

Information about myself:

Graduated from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2012.
Graduated early (in 3 years) due to financial issues
Major: Molecular and Cellular Biolgoy
Overall GPA: 3.44
Science GPA: 3.23
[Low GPA due to family/financial issues throughout Soph~Junior year]
MCAT: 31 (11BS 11PS 9VR)

EC's
- Intern at a global clinical research organization for 7 months after graduation
- Worked as an interpreter at Word Dermatology Congress Seoul
- Worked as Bio/Math teacher during Summer
- Active member of a number of clubs, including pre-health related clubs
- Volunteered as English teacher in Taiwan and Korea during Summer
- Worked throughout college as a restaurant server and math tutor

I am looking into in-state schools, which are
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Southern Illinois University
- Midwestern University in Downers Grove

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Megan,

The impression I got reading your story is that you application is almost there (for MD). I think you would be competitive for DO schools this cycle.

If you are dead set at UoI or SMU, or any other MD program this is what I suggest:
- GPA for MD is a bit below avg. 3.44 is almost there, the 3.29 science is not great, but better than some. You could try acing a post-bacc program to get those up, and then would be golden.
- MCAT to me is good. A lot of people here will say it is not competitive. I got in with a 30, so I think you should be set with a 31 for your state schools.
- If you decide to take a year off to bolster the app for MD, really try to get some clinical experience. Volunteer, work, whatever, get into somewhere you can interact with patients, and do it for a year. After GPA and MCAT, this is what adcoms look for next.
- You seem to have a lot of worldly experience. Play this up in your personal statement, it is a unique aspect you could bring to a school!

Anyway, like I said, I think you're are competitive for DO this cycle, need a little bit of work to be competitive for MD next cycle. Good luck!

Last edited:
Dunno about UIC. I think SIU is the one that has a big emphasis on rural Illinois so look into that. Try CCOM on the DO side of things, you stats aren't bad for them at all.

You can apply to lower-tier MD schools and upper-tier DO programs that you might be interested in.

Megan,

I had an almost identical application to your when I applied my first cycle.

3.4 cGPA
3.2sGPA
30P MCAT

I applied broadly and to all my in-state schools but didn't have any positive responses and received no interviews. I decided to retake the MCAT because I was convinced I could improve. I did, and scored a 35 and have now been accepted at 4 MD schools and turned down other interviews.

When I inquired as to why I was more successful this time, they said my continued improvement in GPA (3.5 cGPA and 3.35sGPA when applying the 2nd time), and my improved MCAT showed a dedication to the profession that they appreciated.

I believe you have a borderline application and showing some "dedication to the profession" might bump you up a little bit.

Hope it helps and good luck!