GPA 3.92 27P MCAT chances

Started by harsh239
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Unfortunately, you have no chance whatsoever right now with a 4 in VR.

The good news is, you have great MCAT scores in the Sciences and a great GPA (both cumulative and BCMP). If you get you VR to 8 (preferably 9), you'll be fine.

Did you run out of time or can you think of any other reason why your VR score was so low? It's good that your Science background is strong, so try to hold your VS and BS score and get that VR up. Good luck!
 
You should try to apply early through AMCAS and get your applications out, so you can submit secondaries quickly. It's not too late, so don't give up in starting Medical School in 2009.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum but I have heard lots of good stuff about it and that great tips can be found on here!

I am a junior at University of Illinois at Chicago..
composite GPA: 3.92/4.00
science GPA: 3.96/4.00
MCAT: 12P/4V/11B Reading Section - P

I have researched at Argonne National Lab for two summers with one of the research papers published! I have tutored organic chemistry for two years now, have done volunteering at Local VA Hospital for 2 years, job shadowing, and also have been on the board of 2 student organizations.

I am applying to MD schools in midwest. Planning to retake mcat again on july 8th with better verbal scores!

On basis of current score, what do you guys think my chances are?

Thanks so much in advance!

Without taking the MCAT again, MD or DO = none. The good news is that it is only one section of the exam that you need to improve. Get the exam Krackers verbal book or Kaplan and start plugging away at it.
 
Except for that low verbal score it looks like you have a great application. Unfortunately, a verbal score that low is below the cutoffs of all the Illinois and Iowa schools I am aware of. I have a freind who got into U of I with an MCAT of 25 (against my predictions), but she had balanced subscores, a very high GPA, and awesome research credentials. I'm glad you plan to take the MCAT again, as I also think you have NO chance at an allopathic admission currently. Good Luck!
 
Definitely take the MCAT again and bring up that VR because that is the only thing I can see keeping you out of MD schools.