GPA at graduation is gonna be about 3.65c and 3.45s. Advice on where to proceed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharknad0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a gap year or two after graduating May '18 and I'm not sure what I want to do. When I graduate my GPA is gonna be about 3.65 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA. I'm not planning on taking the MCAT till Fall '18 or Spring '19 and I'm going to be mostly focused on clinical volunteering, and non-clinical/underprivileged volunteering, while probably researching too. I'm already covered on research and regular volunteering at school.

Since I'm going to have time off, I'm debating taking classes to boost my low GPA. I'm sure it would probably be screened at a decent amount of schools and I want to offset that. I wanna reiterate that I'm gonna be taking time off anyways and this can possibly be another thing I do.

My main choice is WashU and I know a fair amount of people in the program that have had success, and WashU has a track record of placing students at great schools. The program cost is probably gonna be about 25-30k and shouldn't be an issue. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is not too bad, but your school list primarily depends on your MCAT score. Taking a few classes won't change your GPA that much, but your sGPA could use some work.
IMO, if you do well on your gap year activities, and kill the MCAT, you'll be fine when you apply. Maybe not WashU "fine" but it remains to be seen.
Don't get too tied to a specific school. The apps process is somewhat random, so you'll have to apply broadly anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing can really be said until you receive MCAT score...after that you can develop a good list, otherwise it's just picking schools you like, but for which you may or may not be competitive

Members don't see this ad :)
Need an MCAT score to know what your odds really are. I would say it is a little risky to tackle expensive (and difficult) WashU post-bacc. A couple summer classes at a state campus to get to 3.7/3.5 would leave you in good shape, assuming MCAT goes ok.

Reactions: 3 users
Any grade trends, OP?

Any grade trends, OP?
Low Freshman 1, then it went up through sophomore 2, kinda dropped junior 1 and went back up. About 2.5->3.3 Freshman, 3.6 Sophomore, 3.6 Junior cumulative

Low Freshman 1, then it went up through sophomore 2, kinda dropped junior 1 and went back up. About 2.5->3.3 Freshman, 3.6 Sophomore, 3.6 Junior cumulative
I'd say with a year PB of 3.8+ and a strong MCAT you're golden, but you can try an SMP if you want.

Are you planning to apply June 2019? If you plan now it'll make it easier. Try to take 2 classes per semester that you are out of school. 4 classes with As should get you over 3.5 sGPA. Take upperdiv bio classes or biochem that can help you with the MCAT. At WashU your MCAT score can carry you.

But don't forget to enjoy life!

I would do some mcat study and a couple of mcat predictor tests to get an idea where you are

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So are you actually at 3.65/3.45 now? Or is that projecting next years grades? (Be careful with assumptions!) If you have a strong final year, and your final trend is a 3.0/3.6/3.6/3.7+, I dont think you will need a postbac. What state are you from?

Its a projection. Right now it's a 3.59 and a 3.4, and it's assuming I get decent grades. With all A's I'd be 3.7 and 3.5, so I just went with the halfway mark.

Last edited:
I'd say with a year PB of 3.8+ and a strong MCAT you're golden, but you can try an SMP if you want.

This is not good advice. This is why pre-meds who have not gone through application cycles should not give others advice on how to prepare for an application cycle.

OP's GPA is fine.... If you want to take a couple classes to get it to a 3.7/3.5 (more aesthetic than anything), that's fine. I would focus more on rounding out the rest of your app and putting a consistent/compelling app together. Oh, and crushing the MCAT :) Good luck!

For reference OP, I had a ~3.6/3.5 and received plenty of interviews with an average MCAT

Reactions: 2 users
This is not good advice. OP's GPA is fine.... If you want to take a couple classes to get it to a 3.7/3.5 (more aesthetic than anything), that's fine. I would focus more on rounding out the rest of your app and putting a consistent/compelling app together. Oh, and crushing the MCAT :) Good luck!

For reference OP, I had a ~3.6/3.5 and received plenty of interviews with an average MCAT
But wait, aren't you URM ( that would explain your luck with those numbers, maybe OP won't have such luck, I'm not trying to be callous). I think taking two classes during the gap year is fine, it splits the difference, they can raise their GPA but not do a full time post bacc or SMP.It seems like OP is itching to make themselves much more competitive than they are, that's why I suggested the Post Bacc.

But wait, aren't you URM ( that would explain your luck with those numbers, maybe OP won't have such luck, I'm not trying to be callous). I think taking two classes during the gap year is fine, it splits the difference, they can raise their GPA but not a full tim post bacc or SMP.

No I am not URM, but thank you. You do not need to be URM to get accepted to med school with a 3.65/3.45 GPA lol.....

No I am not URM, but thank you. You do not need to be URM to get accepted to med school with a 3.65/3.45 GPA lol.....
My bad! Must have gotten you mistaken for another user! Sorry about that!

+1 I had around a 3.5c/3.4s with unique ECs and a decent mcat score and will be matriculating at my top choice MD school. I chose to apply with the app that I had, and then if I had zero luck I was planning on doing a DIY post bacc. But as frogger and I have both experienced, there are definitely people out there who get accepted with out stats and aren't URM.
I think yall are both from my state, and I am also in the 3.6/3.4 neighborhood. Giving it a go as well.

OP, you can be competitive at your state schools with a strong finish and a solid MCAT. I would focus on getting those done before thinking about potential post bac work.

My bad! Must have gotten you mistaken for another user! Sorry about that!

No problem... And I was not trying to be abrasive by calling you out for the advice you gave to OP. I appreciate your willingness to help others on these forums. When someone comes here for professional advice it is best that they get it from faculty or people who have experience going through something similar, not younger pre-meds. SDN has a wealth of information, but it needs to be properly vetted.

Its a projection. Right now it's a 3.59 and a 3.4, and it's assuming I get decent grades. With all A's I'd be 3.7 and 3.5, so I just went with the halfway mark. Current state of residence is Missouri.

I was in the exact same spot as you after my junior year (actually a little lower). I got a 3.9+ my senior year that bumped me up to about a 3.6/3.5. I worked in research for two years and took a few classes for free at my uni (only got a 3.6, but still showed a consistent upward trend). Wait and see what your grades come out to, but I do not think you need any extensive post-baccs or what not. Definitely don't shell out 30k+ or anything like that unless you tank senior year. Focus on picking up some ECs that you are passionate about and continuing them through your app cycle

I think yall are both from my state, and I am also in the 3.6/3.4 neighborhood. Giving it a go as well.

OP, you can be competitive at your state schools with a strong finish and a solid MCAT. I would focus on getting those done before thinking about potential post bac work.

OH.....