GPA enhancement programs for future dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeeme3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

new to SDN and I'm sure there were tons of threads on troubling pre-dental students that are worried about their low gpa, but I am asking again if that is ok.

Here is my story....

I already graduated from undergraduate in Biology with a 2.9 gpa. I failed Biochemistry because I was taking over 20 credit hrs in one semester (big mistake!) which brought my gpa down. Studying for the DATs now and have already shadowed with 4 recommendation letters from dentists and teachers.

I know I'm not in the standards for most dental schools so here are my questions...

1. Which schools are best for gpa enhancement programs (or post bacc) encouraging dental?
2. would you need to take a GRE for the programs?

thanks I greatly appreciated the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Tons of SMPs out there that you could pursue. I, myself, am enrolled in one at Wayne State School of Medicine, the BMS program. You just need something that offers your upper level biology courses and something you know you can/will do well in.

virajpatel
Tons of SMPs out there that you could pursue. I, myself, am enrolled in one at Wayne State School of Medicine, the BMS program. You just need something that offers your upper level biology courses and something you know you can/will do well in.

THANK! I was looking into SMPs.

what are the requirements into applying to one and the usual deadlines?

I haven't taken my DATs unfortunately

Members don't see this ad :)
it varies. my program was a 3.0 GPA and they didn't really have a particular cut off for standardized test scores but they were okay with MCAT, DAT or GRE. With your GPA I am sure you can still get into an SMP, just do well on your standardized tests and show potential to succeed in their respective curriculum.

A post-bacc wouldnt do anything to raise your GPA at this point with 120+ credit hours already in. An SMP is the way to go.