GPA not that great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raewants2beadoc

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had figured up my gpa by writing out all of my grades, and doing the math by hand several weeks ago and I calculated that when I graduate in may I'll have a 3.39c 3.58s (MD)/ 3.45c 3.66s (DO)

I finally took some time to enter my grades onto the spreadsheet. According to the spreadsheet I have a 3.38c 3.57s (MD) / 3.38c 3.47s (DO). This is taking into account that grade replacement is no longer in effect, and all of my paramedic and nursing courses are considered part of the science GPA for AACOMAS.

When I finally graduate I'll have a total of 226 credit hrs. So there isn't much I can do to bring up my GPA. I started back to school in 2012... I was back in school for 1 yr before having to withdraw due to a custody battle that required out of state travel. I returned to school this past summer and I'll graduate in may with my bachelor's degree. I've taken 58 credit hrs since 2012, mostly upper level sciences. My gpa for just the last 58 hrs is a 3.95.

The policy changes for DO had a bigger effect on my gpa than I realized...

Am I still ok?

Edited: I initially posted with a lower gpa from the spreadsheet, but it wasn't correct (I thought it was and was pretty bummed out)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Upward trend will help. Clinical experience will help.

MD is a stretch unless black or amazing MCAT
Not a minority...

I mostly planned on applying to DO schools. I didn't spend any time doing grade replacement over the last 2 yrs. I had repeated 3 courses previously (A&P 1&2 , sociology). When I originally took A&P it was a 3 hr course with the lab optional. I didn't take the lab because I didn't need it for paramedic school. I later needed it for nursing school so I had to retake the classes and got A's. My nursing school grades are pretty much straight B's. It was a1 yr accelerated program for lpn's and paramedics. I was still working full time, had a 5mth old and a high drama failing marriage... so at the time I was perfectly happy with straight B's and just wanted to get finished.
Now its bringing down my science GPA for DO. I didn't know this was factored into sGPA until last week.

If I don't make an amazing score on the MCAT there is a good chance I've wasted thousands finishing a degree I can't use.... except to apply to a post-bac program.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using SDN mobile

Upward trends are always good. MCAT, of course, will make or break you.

Apply broadly to DO schools, but also to your state MD school, and some of the lower tier schools like NYMC, Albany, and the Philly Triplets.

I had figured up my gpa by writing out all of my grades, and doing the math by hand several weeks ago and I calculated that when I graduate in may I'll have a 3.39c 3.58s (MD)/ 3.45c 3.66s (DO)

I finally took some time to enter my grades onto the spreadsheet. According to the spreadsheet I have a 3.38c 3.57s (MD) / 3.38c 3.47s (DO). This is taking into account that grade replacement is no longer in effect, and all of my paramedic and nursing courses are considered part of the science GPA for AACOMAS.

When I finally graduate I'll have a total of 226 credit hrs. So there isn't much I can do to bring up my GPA. I started back to school in 2012... I was back in school for 1 yr before having to withdraw due to a custody battle that required out of state travel. I returned to school this past summer and I'll graduate in may with my bachelor's degree. I've taken 58 credit hrs since 2012, mostly upper level sciences. My gpa for just the last 58 hrs is a 3.95.

The policy changes for DO had a bigger effect on my gpa than I realized...

Am I still ok?

Edited: I initially posted with a lower gpa from the spreadsheet, but it wasn't correct (I thought it was and was pretty bummed out)

Members don't see this ad :)
Upward trends are always good. MCAT, of course, will make or break you.

Apply broadly to DO schools, but also to your state MD school, and some of the lower tier schools like NYMC, Albany, and the Philly Triplets.
Thanks Goro, I will definitely do this!

you're fine for DO. I don't remember if you've mentioned in previous threads, but have you taken the MCAT? as you mentioned, it's tough to make any dent in your GPA with that many units so just focus on the things you can impact more. MCAT, extracurriculars, great letters, applying early, personal statement and secondaries.

you're fine for DO. I don't remember if you've mentioned in previous threads, but have you taken the MCAT? as you mentioned, it's tough to make any dent in your GPA with that many units so just focus on the things you can impact more. MCAT, extracurriculars, great letters, applying early, personal statement and secondaries.
Thanks

I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I was planning on taking it in the fall. I didn't want to risk my A's during these last 2 trimesters... or a poor score on the MCAT by trying to do too much at one time since I'm also working full time.

I needed the extra to gap year to work on my volunteer hrs, pay off some things, and let my husband finish up school.

I suppose I'll have a year to get my ECs, and personal statement squared away before I apply.

Thanks

I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I was planning on taking it in the fall. I didn't want to risk my A's during these last 2 trimesters... or a poor score on the MCAT by trying to do too much at one time since I'm also working full time.

I needed the extra to gap year to work on my volunteer hrs, pay off some things, and let my husband finish up school.

I suppose I'll have a year to get my ECs, and personal statement squared away before I apply.

that sounds like a solid plan. I agree maintaining as high of a GPA and taking the MCAT when you feel ready to study for it is a good approach. good luck!

Reactions: 1 user