This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometryschoolready

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am going to apply this upcoming cycle for fall 2020 and I was just wondering what schools would accept a 2.7 GPA. I'm hoping to bring it up to 3.0 by next fall and get a 330+ on my OAT. If anyone that was or is on the same boat as me could reply back with your stats I would highly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I am going to apply this upcoming cycle for fall 2020 and I was just wondering what schools would accept a 2.7 GPA. I'm hoping to bring it up to 3.0 by next fall and get a 330+ on my OAT. If anyone that was or is on the same boat as me could reply back with your stats I would highly appreciate it!

If you do well on your OAT, get some good letters of recommendation/Evaluations, shadowing hours and a good interview, I don’t see a why you wouldn’t. I have lots of shadowing hours and worked for an ophthalmologist. My gpa was only slightly above yours. Got crap scores my first time taking my OAT. All the schools I applied to asked me to retake so I did and did much better and immediately got acceptance and interview invites. Apply early so you can have time to update your application if needed(new OAT scores, more shadowing)

Reactions: 1 user
If you do well on your OAT, get some good letters of recommendation/Evaluations, shadowing hours and a good interview, I don’t see a why you wouldn’t. I have lots of shadowing hours and worked for an ophthalmologist. My gpa was only slightly above yours. Got crap scores my first time taking my OAT. All the schools I applied to asked me to retake so I did and did much better and immediately got acceptance and interview invites. Apply early so you can have time to update your application if needed(new OAT scores, more shadowing)

Thank you! Your response literally gave me hope because I’ve been stressing out a lot due to my GPA. I have actually been working in a optometrist office for over 2 years and I e shadowed multiple doctors!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Your response literally gave me hope because I’ve been stressing out a lot due to my GPA. I have actually been working in a optometrist office for over 2 years and I e shadowed multiple doctors!

Yea working for an optometrist is very beneficial to you when applying. The more you know about Optometry the better during your interview. I wouldn’t stress the gpa honestly.

There are some schools that are pretty stern on their min GPA requirement which is usually a 2.8 I think? So I'd definitely check on that and work to bring up your GPA as well. Even with a decent OAT and experience if you don't meet the min GPA then they might put you on standby until you are able to bring up your GPA. Just be cautious and always ask the schools you're interested in if you're unsure about something. Good luck!

There are some schools that are pretty stern on their min GPA requirement which is usually a 2.8 I think? So I'd definitely check on that and work to bring up your GPA as well. Even with a decent OAT and experience if you don't meet the min GPA then they might put you on standby until you are able to bring up your GPA. Just be cautious and always ask the schools you're interested in if you're unsure about something. Good luck!

Thank you! I’m definitely gonna give them a call to see what their expectations are. Would you happen to know any schools that have a lower gpa acceptance?

Hi everyone!

Just make sure you have a good application prepared besides the GPA, and you’ll be set. I had a 2.7 GPA and I got into Berkeley, SUNY, and SCCO. My OAT was 370 TS and 360 AA. I also got interviews from many other schools that I declined. You’ll be fine I have faith in you! Just focus on maintaining participation in extracurriculars, getting a good OAT score, and writing good essays!

Reactions: 2 users
Just make sure you have a good application prepared besides the GPA, and you’ll be set. I had a 2.7 GPA and I got into Berkeley, SUNY, and SCCO. My OAT was 370 TS and 360 AA. I also got interviews from many other schools that I declined. You’ll be fine I have faith in you! Just focus on maintaining participation in extracurriculars, getting a good OAT score, and writing good essays!

Thank you so much! This literally did motivate me. Congrats on such a high OAT score and the acceptances, that’s amazing. I hope I can get that high of a score