• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

GPA or Average

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2004
    For the application, did most people put in their average as a percent or GPA? What is the grading system in Ireland like? In Canada, an 80% is a very good grade but in some American schools it's not. How will they know what scale to use?

Unch

10+ Year Member
    Jun 2, 2005
    Victoria, BC
    1. Attending Physician
      It's anyone's guess. I know in Australia, they have specific formulas to convert NAmerican marks so maybe it's the same in Ireland. Of course we all wish that the marks from our own alma mater would count more than your friend's who got in with her stellar GPA from Skoosit University in Topeka, KS. But it doesn't work that way, unfortunately. Try dealing with the grade inflation (today) versus the hardcore undergrad science marks I got 20 years ago!

M

Mike MacKinnon

Hey

Seems to be a mystery. Though im sure they see all kinds, that app is such a scant document that I cant figure out how they make any decisions. Especially the schools who do not do interviews.

They are afer us for the $ and im sure only marginally concerned with potential to succeed. Anyone else get that impression?

About the Ads

eastofnorth

10+ Year Member
        Sep 1, 2005
        USA
        1. Psychology Student
          Mike MacKinnon said:
          Hey

Seems to be a mystery. Though im sure they see all kinds, that app is such a scant document that I cant figure out how they make any decisions. Especially the schools who do not do interviews.

They are afer us for the $ and im sure only marginally concerned with potential to succeed. Anyone else get that impression?

Just a little. :p

Arb

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Aug 30, 2004
            Should we provide them with the GPA conversion sheet that we used to convert my grades (my school uses percentages not GPA)? How can they possibly know which GPA scale to use otherwise? I don't think they will verify if the GPA you put down is correct...

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
            Lifetime Donor
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jan 2, 2001
            messymedic.blogspot.com
            1. Attending Physician
              Mike MacKinnon said:
              Hey

I think that's a a bit pessimistic. They want our money, but they do want us to succeed too. Otherwise we'll make them look bad :laugh: Anyway Arb, i'm sure they've seen it all before. But no harm including the conversion sheet anyway.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.