GPA or Average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the application, did most people put in their average as a percent or GPA? What is the grading system in Ireland like? In Canada, an 80% is a very good grade but in some American schools it's not. How will they know what scale to use?

Members don't see this ad.

It's anyone's guess. I know in Australia, they have specific formulas to convert NAmerican marks so maybe it's the same in Ireland. Of course we all wish that the marks from our own alma mater would count more than your friend's who got in with her stellar GPA from Skoosit University in Topeka, KS. But it doesn't work that way, unfortunately. Try dealing with the grade inflation (today) versus the hardcore undergrad science marks I got 20 years ago!

Hey

Seems to be a mystery. Though im sure they see all kinds, that app is such a scant document that I cant figure out how they make any decisions. Especially the schools who do not do interviews.

They are afer us for the $ and im sure only marginally concerned with potential to succeed. Anyone else get that impression?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey

Seems to be a mystery. Though im sure they see all kinds, that app is such a scant document that I cant figure out how they make any decisions. Especially the schools who do not do interviews.

They are afer us for the $ and im sure only marginally concerned with potential to succeed. Anyone else get that impression?

Just a little. :p

Should we provide them with the GPA conversion sheet that we used to convert my grades (my school uses percentages not GPA)? How can they possibly know which GPA scale to use otherwise? I don't think they will verify if the GPA you put down is correct...

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey

I think that's a a bit pessimistic. They want our money, but they do want us to succeed too. Otherwise we'll make them look bad :laugh: Anyway Arb, i'm sure they've seen it all before. But no harm including the conversion sheet anyway.