GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holistic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in osteopathic medicine. I personaly like their philosophy toward treating disease. I have a question for those who have applied and others who are applying about the competitiveness of my numbers and what sort of MCAT score I should shoot for. Here are my stats calculated the way it will be done on my applications through AACOM.

Overall 3.16 165 hours
Science 3.48 52 hours
non-science 3.03 113 hours

My last thirty hours are a 4.0

Will a 25 or better suffice for DO schools

All of the hours were taken at the University of Texas

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Holistic said:
I am very interested in osteopathic medicine. I personaly like their philosophy toward treating disease. I have a question for those who have applied and others who are applying about the competitiveness of my numbers and what sort of MCAT score I should shoot for. Here are my stats calculated the way it will be done on my applications through AACOM.

Overall 3.16 165 hours
Science 3.48 52 hours
non-science 3.03 113 hours

My last thirty hours are a 4.0

Will a 25 or better suffice for DO schools

All of the hours were taken at the University of Texas

Thanks

The average MCAT for the D.O. schools in Texas and Oklahoma are 27-28. The average GPA for those same schools are 3.5-3.6.

You'll need to up your stats or consider applying to many schools in a "shotgun" approach. You'll have a chance of getting in somewhere.

I would say if you get a 27-28 or above, however, you have a much better chance. You need ot offset your GPA.

I think you have a fairly good shot. Although your overall GPA and non-science are a little bit on the low side, your science GPA is pretty good and you did show a real positive upward trend over the last 30 hours (~1 yr. of work). I'm sure with your stats you will get in somewhere, as the average for D.O. schools nationally is anywhere between 24-26 for the MCAT. As OSUdoc08 mentioned though, the stats for each individual school varies, and TCOM/OSU-COM seem to be a few of the especially competitive ones to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this question, mostly because all the state school kids chime in with, “Your GPA is too low.” Well I hate to tell you guys, but it all depends on where that GPA is coming from. A GPA of 3.0 at a state school is weighted much differently than if you graduated from a school that is “ a little more intense” in terms of academics. On a side note, anyone else notice that the guy from Texas likened applying to medical school to using a shotgun? You’ve got to love that, or not. In tribute I will use as many gun and shooting metaphors as I can come up with from now on.
In regards to your original question, don’t “shoot” for a 25 on the MCAT that is just poor “aim.” Like you would logically think, the higher your score the more competitive you become with all those other gunslingers. The cowboy is right in what he said though, a high MCAT score will give you a lot more pull in terms of schools wanting you. But hey, there are those people that shoot’em all and sort’m out later (read apply to every f-ing school on the list.) I for one did not have the time or the money to do that. In closing, my best advice is to not put too much weight in what people say on here, lots of us like to stroke our egos and scare people for fun

I mean, I'm no expert but I think you'll be fine at most DO schools. A 25 is sort of a lower-end score, aim higher. You can do it :)

I am shooting for a 33, I have been scoring 9's to 12's on sections in diags, but as far as I am concerned, diags don't mean @#$%. I have got another month and a half to really hit it hard and I am about to really start nerding out. I am taking another full Practice this Saturday, do yall think its best to use all the AAMC tests for practice tests from this point on?

Also, I made two D's in college, one was BS(the professor hated me because I didnt conform to his communist teachings so he gave me a D because the class was purely subjective), the other was spanish IV, I could retake both of these classes this summer and make A's or I could keep taking science courses. Which is better?

take some more science courses. Retaking spanish at UT Austin in like pulling teeth without novacaine :eek:

Anyway science classes show you got the stuff anyway.

Just be sure to load up on the MCAT and fire away :laugh:

crys20 said:
I mean, I'm no expert but I think you'll be fine at most DO schools. A 25 is sort of a lower-end score, aim higher. You can do it :)

I just want to add that experience seems to go a long way, as well. I have a friend who got a 22 on the MCAT and got accepted into KCUMB--previously UHS. He did have a lot of research that he did through K-BRIN(?)--I'm not sure what the organization's name is--but I think that gave him a big foot up. I also know a few people that got 24's and got in as well. I went to a Med Prep day at KCUMB in November for pre-med students and they showed a chart of the range of MCAT scores that they had accepted, and I kid you not, someone had a score of 14 (I believe) and was admitted into the school. On that note, I'm sure the person had a great GPA but it did make me feel better knowing that everyone has at least some chance of getting in! Hope my little rant helped!! :)

Braden

BradenDO said:
I just want to add that experience seems to go a long way, as well. I have a friend who got a 22 on the MCAT and got accepted into KCUMB--previously UHS. He did have a lot of research that he did through K-BRIN(?)--I'm not sure what the organization's name is--but I think that gave him a big foot up. I also know a few people that got 24's and got in as well. I went to a Med Prep day at KCUMB in November for pre-med students and they showed a chart of the range of MCAT scores that they had accepted, and I kid you not, someone had a score of 14 (I believe) and was admitted into the school. On that note, I'm sure the person had a great GPA but it did make me feel better knowing that everyone has at least some chance of getting in! Hope my little rant helped!! :)

Braden

Not to rehash the whole GPA v. MCAT discussion, but I have a 23 MCAT and a 4.0 science, 3.98 non-science (4.0 for the last 6 consecutive semesters) and I've already interviewed for NYCOM, and also received interviews for LECOM and West Virginia. I'm not daring to say that I'm proud of my score, but I think that those with low 20's on their MCATs and high GPAs shouldn't hesitate to apply.

What are your opinions? Do you think my MCAT will really be that much of a disadvantage? I'm hoping not...

I interview students and I have seen lower scores. Just apply and knock your interview out of the ballpark!

I agree with what Maloccom said. You should just apply. Your stats aren't bad... plus if you don't try, you'll never have a chance. It is also true to what everyone else is saying, but its pretty obvious that the higher your score, the better your chances are.

I believe the original question is that if he/she got a 25mcat and a 3.2gpa, would it be competitive to apply. I'll be honest... its not a 35 and 4.0gpa... but i think you got a really good chance to get into ONE DO school at least.

I think it can be safe to say that if you are worried about your performance at medical schools reflected by your grades (as many people have asked me in the past)... THERE IS NOT CORRELATION! I think Maloccom would agree on that. With my experience... there are people with a lot higher GPA and MCAT than I do, but yet have done a lot worst on school exams than me. Actually... currently standing... my entering scores were probably among the lowest, but my ranking is NOT.

NOTE: Don't let numbers upset you... if you really want it, YOU WILL GET IT. I got a personal friend... 4.0 gpa & 42 on mcat... got rejected by Cornell medical school. What does that tell you ??? NUMBERS ARENT EVERYTHING!

Goodluck

If you've got a good application overall, I'd say go ahead and apply. I'm currently an MS I at LECOM and got accepted with a 3.6 GPA and 22 MCAT. Certainly not the greatest credentials, but I had other things to back up my application that made the difference. So give it a shot.

Holistic:
Yes, you must start using the aamc practice tests, 4-7. 5,6, and 7 especially will be the best predictors of how you'll do. I would take one once a week in the 5 or 6 weeks preceding the MCAT; give yourself a break in the actual week before.