GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MDsomeday22

My overall GPA is 2.9 and BCPM is 2.8. Most of the grades that are causing my low GPA were from classes I took in 1999, when I was 17. When I calculate my GPA with the repeat grades (like AACOM) it’s up to a 3.2 overall and a 3.3 BCPM.

My question is how much will this matter to allopathic admission committees? Will they even get a chance to see my GPA trend because of electronic cut-off at some schools? (How many schools do this by the way)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That GPA is going to make it almost impossible to get your app looked at by an allo admissions committee. If you have your heart set on allo, you'll probably need some post-bacc work to bring up the GPA.

The main decision is gonna be based on ur overall GPA. It sounds like you may be ok if everything else on your application is good. It's guaranteed to hurt you though...just a matter of how much.

I had 3.43 cumulative and 3.1ish science, with a 3.88 in postbac classes. Despite these classes being recorded separately on the application, I don't think they did anything amazing for me. :(

Good luck.

Thanks everyone!

Berk- congrats on your USC acceptance! Woo Woo! :thumbup:

Tired pigeon is mostly right, though he's not completely right. Trends are meaningful to admission committees. Also, most schools do NOT have arbitrary MCAT GPA screening systems. In a case such as this, it will take an excellent personal statement, but that's very doable. Extracurriculars are also crucial. In my experience, it's all a big balancing act between mcat, gpa, ecs, etc. Your state of residency may also play a big role in your chances. Anyone get the Princess Bride allusion?

or she...sorry for not being PC

Cary Elwes is dead, but Billy Crystal, I believe, explains that he's only mostly dead. Wesley is subsequently resuscitated by 'true love.' Oh no, now I've exposed my true nerdiness:p

Cary Elwes is dead, but Billy Crystal, I believe, explains that he's only mostly dead. Wesley is subsequently resuscitated by 'true love.' Oh no, now I've exposed my true nerdiness:p

Oh, Ok -- I was afraid it was something about pigeons! We are much-maligned as winged rats of the skies. :rolleyes: