gpa trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VillageShaman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In general if you were to look at all the premeds out there would there be an upward gpa trend or a downward one
In otherwords
Average premed freshman gpa<average premed sophmore gpa<average premed junior gpa
Or
Average premed freshman gpa>average premed sophmore gpa>average premed junior gpa

I left out senior year since that tends to always be low ;)

Members don't see this ad.

In general if you were to look at all the premeds out there would there be an upward gpa trend or a downward one
In otherwords
Average premed freshman gpa<average premed sophmore gpa<average premed junior gpa
Or
Average premed freshman gpa>average premed sophmore gpa>average premed junior gpa

If I had to guess, I'd say its J-shaped. Starts off mediocre, gets worse once O-Chem kicks in, then rises the last two years as pre-reqs are over and you have a good idea how things work (like what professors and classes are easy A's). I don't know why you say senior year tends to be low, it was by far my best year, GPA-wise. Senior year is not a time to load up on hard classes, its a year to enjoy life before it kicks you in the face.

It's directly related to your blood pressure, so get fat!

In otherwords
Or

I would assume it would be a upward trend for most people. Obviously there are going to be a few bumps in the road (I think OChem was previously mentioned) but overall I think your GPA should get better as you progress.

Also for me, my GPA my senior year was great because I had completed most of my classes and had easy semesters. I am sure this is variable considering some people might be trying to catch up on some upper levels or just coasting if they are already accepted.