Downward GPA trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pichael-thompson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking for advice regarding what I should do to address my negative GPA trend. My cumulative BCPM GPA is 3.70, cumulative AO GPA is 3.57, and total cumulative GPA is 3.66.

My cGPA trend is as follows:
Freshman- 4.00
Sophomore- 3.97
Junior- 4.00
Senior- 2.52
Post-Bacc: 3.99

I took 21 credit hours of DIY post-bacc course work at my state universities in anatomy/physiology+lab, statistics, microbiology, cell/developmental biology, genetics, and anthropology (this was a required humanities for my state medical school) and received all A's and one A-. I was planning to continue taking more upper-level courses, but I was not able to get a seat in any of the classes upper-level classes offered (even after emailing the chair of the department about adding an extra seat in the class).

After taking these post-bacc courses, I was told by a couple of medical school admission advisors from schools that I had previously applied to that my senior year GPA was still concerning and that it was likely was a factor in not receiving an interview from them this past cycle. I tried addressing the negative grade trend, but I don't know what else to do at this point. I can't get into any more upper-level science courses because the seats are so few and limited in them and they are reserved at first for undergraduates. I don't know how else I can continue to demonstrate my ability to handle rigorous coursework. Should I consider grad school, SMP, or some other option that would allow me to continue taking upper-level science courses? I am currently addressing other parts of my application by continuing to shadow, volunteering in the community, and serving in AmeriCorps.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Just looking for advice regarding what I should do to address my negative GPA trend. My cumulative BCPM GPA is 3.70, cumulative AO GPA is 3.57, and total cumulative GPA is 3.66.

Freshman- 4.00
Sophomore- 3.97
Junior- 4.00
Senior- 2.52

I took 21 credit hours of DIY post-bacc course work at my state universities in anatomy/physiology+lab, statistics, microbiology, cell/developmental biology, genetics, and anthropology (this was a required humanities for my state medical school) and received all A's and one A-. I was planning to continue taking more upper-level courses, but I was not able to get a seat in any of the classes upper-level classes offered (even after emailing the chair of the department about adding an extra seat in the class).

After taking these post-bacc courses, I was told by a couple of medical school admission advisors from schools that I had previously applied to that my senior year GPA was still concerning and that it was likely was a factor in not receiving an interview from them this past cycle. I tried addressing the negative grade trend, but I don't know what else to do at this point. I can't get into any more upper-level science courses because the seats are so few and limited in them and they are reserved at first for undergraduates. I don't know how else I can continue to demonstrate my ability to handle rigorous coursework. Should I consider grad school, SMP, or some other option that would allow me to continue taking upper-level science courses? I am currently addressing other parts of my application by continuing to shadow, volunteering in the community, and serving in AmeriCorps.
The post-bac shows that the SR year was a fluke.

Get in another 9ish hours, and you should be fine.

What was the cause of the poor SR year?

Reactions: 2 users
The post-bac shows that the SR year was a fluke.

Get in another 9ish hours, and you should be fine.

What was the cause of the poor SR year?
Personal life circumstances at the time caused me to perform poorly. Not trying to make excuses though.

Have you ever advised a non-degree student on how they should enroll in more DIY post-bac courses when they are limited in options and are given lower priority in class selection compared to undergraduates? Maybe it's just a matter of persistence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal life circumstances at the time caused me to perform poorly. Not trying to make excuses though.

Have you ever advised a non-degree student on how they should enroll in more DIY post-bac courses when they are limited in options and are given lower priority in class selection compared to undergraduates? Maybe it's just a matter of persistence.
If these are lecture classes, ask the professor to see if you can be added. Especially with upper-level classes, there's not a problem with capacity usually.

Reactions: 3 users

Shop around for a special Masters program

Shop around for a special Masters program
So would you recommend me to go ahead and start an SMP given my situation, or first try to find other universities (perhaps out of state) where I could continue taking higher level courses?

Hi all,

Freshman- 4.00
Sophomore- 3.97
Junior- 4.00
Senior- 2.52

Do you have an MCAT score? In your app anywhere, did you provide context for the senior year performance?

FYI, Your GPA does not have a downward "trend." It's a one-year drop that needs to be addressed, but not a trend.

• Love
Do you have an MCAT score? In your app anywhere, did you provide context for the senior year performance?

FYI, Your GPA does not have a downward "trend." It's a one-year drop that needs to be addressed, but not a trend.
MCAT is 518 (131/127/129/131). Took it in January 2020.
I provided context in secondary essays, but nowhere on my primary application.

How should I continue to address this drop?

That MCAT score should help. .

Let's also face the reality that you can have good stats and still not be accepted depending on where you applied, how many school you applied to, when you applied, and how you presented yourself via your experience descriptions, personal statement, and secondary essays. Presentation plays a role.

I'd need to know the context to be able to advise you on how to address it. In very general terms, if something happened beyond your control, then you need to state what happened. If your response wasn't optimal, then you need to take responsibility for mistakes you made. You also need to briefly point to your earlier grades, post-bac grades and MCAT as evidence of your academic ability while pointing to your subsequent experience as evidence of your continuing commitment to medicine. If the circumstances that caused the drop are still in existence, you can also show that you have learned how to handle them and perform well.

You may also need to apply to lower ranked med schools.