Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

GPA trouble: should i retake the classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Smilestar, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Smilestar

Pre-Dental
    Hi, first of all Merry X-mas and Happy Holidays everyone :-]

I am in a community college. i did very well in my first year but in this past year i have been getting C's in everything including English, Chemisty101, Biology107, and Psychology. i think i could def. do better if i were to retake theses courses. This has lowered my gpa up to 2.73. my college does allow us retake classes. but should i retake these courses or is it over already?
    i mean these are the pre-req courses for pre-dental students.

And,i heard that Med/dental schools care more about the last 60 credits than the first two-years.is that true?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chessxwizard

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If your college does not allow you to retake these courses, why not take the equivalent classes at a 4-year university?

4. EndangeredPasta

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think he said that his college does allow him to retake.

5. Smilestar

Pre-Dental
    actually my college does allow us to retake classes. Besides its kind of hard to get in a university with a GPA of 2.73
    So far my plan is to repeat all of these classes and then move on to a university. sounds okay?And the dentistary schools will look at my later grades right?

6. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    They will "look" at your later grades, but your older grades still factor into your GPA, even if you retake. Also, many schools look down upon CC credit for dental school pre-reqs. For example, USC states:

I'm pretty sure there are schools that don't accept it at all, so just be aware of that.

7. chessxwizard

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Oops. Yeah, retake the classes. It looks better if you retake them at a 4-year rather than a CC.

8. mestmet31

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If i were you, I wouldn't retake it. Just make sure you do well throughout your next couple semesters and dental schools will see your nice upward trend. On the application, your GPA would be averaged instead of the higher one counting anyways. It looks better to do well in your upper levels then retaking something. If for some reason you retake the class and you don't get an A, it looks even worse.