GPA trouble: should i retake the classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilestar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, first of all Merry X-mas and Happy Holidays everyone :-]

I am in a community college. i did very well in my first year but in this past year i have been getting C's in everything including English, Chemisty101, Biology107, and Psychology. i think i could def. do better if i were to retake theses courses. This has lowered my gpa up to 2.73. my college does allow us retake classes. but should i retake these courses or is it over already?
i mean these are the pre-req courses for pre-dental students.

And,i heard that Med/dental schools care more about the last 60 credits than the first two-years.is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

If your college does not allow you to retake these courses, why not take the equivalent classes at a 4-year university?

Members don't see this ad :)
If your college does not allow you to retake these courses, why not take the equivalent classes at a 4-year university?

actually my college does allow us to retake classes. Besides its kind of hard to get in a university with a GPA of 2.73
So far my plan is to repeat all of these classes and then move on to a university. sounds okay?And the dentistary schools will look at my later grades right?

actually my college does allow us to retake classes. Besides its kind of hard to get in a university with a GPA of 2.73
So far my plan is to repeat all of these classes and then move on to a university. sounds okay?And the dentistary schools will look at my later grades right?

They will "look" at your later grades, but your older grades still factor into your GPA, even if you retake. Also, many schools look down upon CC credit for dental school pre-reqs. For example, USC states:

No more than 60 semester hours earned at a community college will be accepted and preference is given to candidates who complete the science prerequisites at a four year institution;

I'm pretty sure there are schools that don't accept it at all, so just be aware of that.

Oops. Yeah, retake the classes. It looks better if you retake them at a 4-year rather than a CC.

If i were you, I wouldn't retake it. Just make sure you do well throughout your next couple semesters and dental schools will see your nice upward trend. On the application, your GPA would be averaged instead of the higher one counting anyways. It looks better to do well in your upper levels then retaking something. If for some reason you retake the class and you don't get an A, it looks even worse.