Question about GPA and residency placement (typical GPA worries)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fresh10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I don't want to share my GPA on here but it isn't amazing. With residency placement being around 97-100% each year depending on the school, I was wondering what is considered a low GPA for residency directors? Is 2.6 GPA ok? 2.8 GPA? 3.0 GPA? Where is the general cutoff? I know schools differ and all that.

Rumor says as much as 50% of our class has under a 3.0, but I have no way to verify that. Under my personal experience, I know many that are on the 3.0 border, but I couldn't give an accurate number.

I'm not worried about class rank as much because I should be in an ok place there. Although its hard to say because I don't know what it is lol. How do I know what my class rank is?

For example, if I ended up with a GPA between 2.75-2.99, are my residency options much less limited because its less than 3.0? Is 3.0 a magic cutoff? When would one be worried about having too low of a GPA for residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is no magical cutoff. Some programs aren't all that selective and would look at an application with below a 3.0 GPA. Others are very selective and won't consider anyone below a 3.5 GPA. Assuming someone isn't doing poorly (sub 2.5 GPA at minimum) or has glaring personality flaws, it isn't all that difficult to match. I've seen students who are lousy students with odd personalities match, so it can't be all that hard to do.

Being below a 3.0 will make it harder but not impossible. Apply when the time comes (be realistic based on what the schools cut offs are) and just make sure where you rotate you perform well and show them that your gpa doesn’t reflect how good you actually are.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Being below a 3.0 will make it harder but not impossible. Apply when the time comes (be realistic based on what the schools cut offs are) and just make sure where you rotate you perform well and show them that your gpa doesn’t reflect how good you actually are.

I don't now why people say its very hard to get a residency with a GPA less than 3.0. I wouldn't be surprised if half of my entire class had less than 3.0.

Podiatry schools have a 97-100% residency rate depending on the school.

Shouldn't the answer be more along the lines, "very likely to earn a residency with less than 3.0, but more competitive ones are more likely with a 3.0+"?

Reactions: 1 user
What happens if you get a 2.0?

I don't now why people say its very hard to get a residency with a GPA less than 3.0. I wouldn't be surprised if half of my entire class had less than 3.0.

Shouldn't the answer be more along the lines, "very likely to earn a residency with less than 3.0, but more competitive ones are more likely with a 3.0+"?
It's because different schools have different grading standards, so people are talking from the perspective of their own schools' GPAs and how that correlates to class rank.

Here are some real examples (granted a few years old):
At Kent State approximately 10% of the graduating class had a 4.0
At WesternU the valedictorian had a 3.9 but the BOTTOM ranked person had a 3.4.
At NYCPM the valedictorian had a 3.8, and a 3.4 put you in the top 20%.
etc

It's because different schools have different grading standards, so people are talking from the perspective of their own schools' GPAs and how that correlates to class rank.

etc

Isn't it "unfair" to have a school where the bottom of the class ranks at 3.4 GPA considering residency cutoffs are often 3.0, 3.2, etc.? Students from other schools where many, many students are under 3.0 but the same caliber as their 3.4 GPA counterparts from WesternU wouldn't be able to apply to the same residencies?

Why wouldn't class rank be the "only" factor if GPA is so wildly different from podiatry school to podiatry school?

Class rank is where I feel much more comfortable than GPA. But I also don't know what my class rank is after first year. Is there a way to figure out what my class rank is?

Last edited:
Isn't it "unfair" to have a school where the bottom of the class ranks at 3.4 GPA considering residency cutoffs are often 3.0, 3.2, etc.? Students from other schools where many, many students are under 3.0 but the same caliber as their 3.4 GPA counterparts from WesternU wouldn't be able to apply to the same residencies?

Class rank is where I feel much more comfortable than GPA. But I also don't know what my class rank is after first year. Is there a way to figure out what my class rank is?
Ask your dean or his/her assistant

You will probably still get a residency but you limit your choices as to where you can go is what I meant.

etc
What about Barry? Do you mean it easier to get high GPA in Western than in other schools?

IMO I think rank matters much more than you're gpa. If you're in the top 20% you should be able to get clerkships wherever you want to go. GPA is too variable inbetween schools.

IMHO stats don’t mean a lot. Every program is different and values different aspects of the application. It’s kind of a crapshoot, honestly.

You passed your classes and boards. So did everyone else. We’re all the same. Just be yourself, be honest, and be kind. Programs that require something you don’t *already* have beyond this aren’t meant for you at this point. If you are teachable and personable, any reasonable program should love to have you. Not all programs are reasonable, which isn’t fair. Don’t forget that nepotism exists. And so do sexism and racism. Some programs don’t rank students from certain schools. At one of my top programs, a resident admitted to me he was a nepotism pick. I didn’t match there. I didn’t match at the boys’ club I ranked, either. Instead, I matched at the “happiest” hospital in my state (according to a Forbes list, anyway.) I didn’t rank this program highly— but, looking back, I would have been miserable at my top choices. Not that I stood a chance at matching at those places anyway… nor was there anything I could have done to change that.

I made good grades and passed both boards on the first attempt. I am published. I held leadership positions. My LORs were personal and thoughtful. Interviewers complemented my personal statement. In the interview with my top program, the director told me he was certain I would have a very successful career. And, yet, I didn’t match there, either. None of this is to say I don’t recognize my own weaknesses—I am certainly not perfect.

I don’t say this to scare you, but maybe to help you see that many factors of the match are out of your control. The sooner you can accept this, the sooner you can find peace with it. You can only land where they say you can land. But, after that, you’re finally in control. Take what you’re given and make the most of it. If you’re doing the right thing for the right reasons, if you’re gritty enough to push through failures, and if you’re brave enough to advocate for yourself, good things will find you.

And please don’t forget that the loudest docs on this site are only the most miserable.

TL;DR
Optimistic nihilism. GPA doesn’t matter as much as it should. This is still America and the match will never be fair. But none of this means your hard work will go to waste.

• Dislike
Status
Not open for further replies.