Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlfath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When schools look at your cumulative GPA does that typically mean your TOTAL GPA (as in including post-bacc and graduate classes) or just your cumulative undergraduate classes? Obviously, it will probably vary from school to school, but I was just wondering if anyone had a general sense of what would most likely be done? The reason being is I have taken graduate classes and post-bacc classes and would obviously rather my total GPA be looked at as opposed to simply my cumulative undergraduate GPA. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Every school I have looked into only considers undergraduate level classes for the cumulative gpa.

Things such as post-bacc and graduate level classes are considered supplemental.

Most everyone will have better post bacc grades from maturing and realizing how important school is actually is.

Some people tell me that schools seriously consider it and others have told me that it makes absolutely no difference to a lot of schools that only care about undergrad gpa

On the other hand, every program I have looked at considers the total cumulative GPA, including post-bacc. I would be curious which schools consider only undergrad and do not consider post-bacc work as part of the total GPA, because I have not heard of this. In fact, raising the cumulative GPA is the reason that many people take more classes post-grad in order to be more competitive candidates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for your responses. I was under the impression that most did look at the total, including post-bacc and graduate, but I was wondering what impressions others were receiving.

Myosin, what schools are you looking at? I haven't seen any that only look at undergraduate GPA. One of the main reasons they take your post-bac work into account is that most people are taking or retaking science classes post-bac and they are more interested in those grades then in you have a good GPA as an English major.