GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update on my stats: wondering if i should take the GRE again to improve them? I'm extremely stressed that I won't get into any program.

Undergrad: Dayton
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
GPA: 3.4 --> last 2 years averaged a 3.82
PrereqGPA: about 3.6
GRE (so far) V:155 Q:155 W:4

Hours: Volunteer: 100 outpatient 50 inpatient Observation 50 - 2 settings
Extras: Honors Biology club, Healing Hearts Club, Pre PT club

LOR: Ex Phys Professor (supposedly gives great letters to the students he respects) 2 PT's I observed and volunteered for

I would like to apply to Ohio University and all other programs in ohio, maybe some outside the state but I've been focused on getting up my GPA, I am also retaking 2 courses this summer to boost my GPA more and taking one more prerequisite that I still need (stats)

Please let me know what you think or any programs that might be good for me to apply to!

Should I retake the GRE and try to get above 160?

Definitely look into programs that consider last 60 GPA instead of cum GPA (lots of Texas schools seem to do this). Your last 60 is quite good, and you'll likely be more competitive at programs that look exclusively at last 60 instead of cum GPA, since your last 60 GPA is much better than your cum one.

Other than that, I think you're on the right track trying to continue to raise your GPA and prereq GPA. This is definitely more important than retaking the GRE (since a lot of programs put more weight on GPAs than GRE scores, and your GRE is already above average). With that said, if you have the time and want to put in the effort, it wouldn't hurt you to have higher GRE scores. Another suggestion would be to try to get 20-40 observation hours in a third setting (a SNF, acute care, rehab facility, peds, or whatever else you don't already have). Some programs like to see the variety of observation settings, and it can also help you in your interviews to have more diverse PT experiences to talk about.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

FINAL UPDATE:

University: UC San Diego
Overall GPA: 3.5-3.6 depending on school
Pre-Req GPA: 3.68 PTCAS
GRE:157/159/5.0

Extra-Curric: Red Cross volunteer, competitive powerlifter, NPC MP competitor.

Volunteer: 600 inpatient at SNF (paid), 100 outpatient neuro clinic

LOR: 1 director of rehab (PT), 1 staff PT, 1 Physiology professor.

Applied: USC, University of St Augustine, Mt Saint Mary, Chapman, West Coast U, SDSU, APU (2018)

Acceptances: University of St Augustine - San Marcos (3/31)

Rejections: SDSU (2/2), USC

Waitlist: Chapman, MSMU

Interviews: West Coast University (declined), University of St Augustine - San Marcos (3/24)

Attending: University of St Augustine - San Marcos!

Didn't expect to be pulled off the Chapman waitlist

University: UC San Diego
Overall GPA: 3.5-3.6 depending on school
Pre-Req GPA: 3.68 PTCAS
GRE:157/159/5.0

Extra-Curric: Red Cross volunteer, competitive powerlifter, NPC MP competitor.

Volunteer: 600 inpatient at SNF (paid), 100 outpatient neuro clinic

LOR: 1 director of rehab (PT), 1 staff PT, 1 Physiology professor.

Applied: USC, University of St Augustine, Mt Saint Mary, Chapman, West Coast U, SDSU, APU (2018)

Acceptances: University of St Augustine - San Marcos (3/31), Chapman (4/10 - declined)

Rejections: SDSU (2/2), USC

Waitlist: Chapman, MSMU

Interviews: West Coast University (declined), University of St Augustine - San Marcos (3/24)

Attending: University of St Augustine - San Marcos!

Undergrad: WVU
Major: Psychology (Switched as a junior)
GPA: 3.1 (last two year averaged 3.5)
PrereqGPA: 3.29 (retaking a physics class this summer)
GRE: Taking in June
Hours: 80 outpatient, 24 impatient. Working on getting a PT aide job
Extras: Over 1200hrs serving in an Americorps program, 120hrs doing a psychology internship in a nursing home.
Work: 3 yeas in a University chemistry lab
LOR: Chemistry professor, 2 PT's I observed
Plan on applying: WVU, Marshall, Wheeling Jesuit, Ohio University, Bellarmine, Shenandoah, Emory and Henry, UK.

Any advice on schools to apply to or ways to better my application is appreciated. Working on getting my GPA up currently. Really hoping to get into Marshall but feeling like my best chance is Wheeling Jesuit.

I think you will get into WVU because they favor in-state students, 70% who are accepted according to PTCAS are WV residents. They also emphasize that working in rural areas is important.

I would skip applying to Shenandoah. Every year is different but this last cycle 980 students applied for their 60 spots. I had a similar GPA to you and was denied there.

I don't know anything about those other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will get into WVU because they favor in-state students, 70% who are accepted according to PTCAS are WV residents. They also emphasize that working in rural areas is important.

I would skip applying to Shenandoah. Every year is different but this last cycle 980 students applied for their 60 spots. I had a similar GPA to you and was denied there.

I don't know anything about those other schools.

Thanks. Good to know about Shenandoah, I probably will skip applying there. Worried about WVU because their average accepted GPA is like a 3.6-3.7 but I have been told that they really like Americorps service so that should help. Did you apply there? And if you don't mind me asking, were you interviewed?

Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA:
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.4 (Had a few retakes) Last 60 credits: 3.80
GRE: 148V-146Q-3.5

Research:
400 hours as a research aide at the University's PT department. The lab has few ongoing studies examining the effects of noninvasive brain stimulation (TMS/tDCS) in walking speeds in individuals with chronic stroke. Other study involved individuals with ALS. Presented at university's symposium and had a name on a different poster presented in Barcelona.

Volunteer/Shadowing:
32 Ortho outpatient, 56 University's ortho clinic, 2,500 Outpatient Ortho Rehab aide, 20 SNF, 20 Pediatrics, 114 Inpatient Traumatic Brain Injury Unit

ECs: Anatomy Tutor for a semester, Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Anatomy 2 semesters, CPR/AED cert, ski club, bilingual.

LOR:
PT Supervisor, Research Director, Neuro/Motor Control Professor

Applied to:
1 School

Interviews Invite: 1

Declined Interview invite and withdrew the application. Decided to switch careers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've been silently stalking this feed to see how I compare to everyone, but deciding to actually post my stats now. I'm starting to feel like it might not happen for me this year, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Undergrad: The University of Arizona
Major: Nutritional Science
Minors: Biochemistry, Spanish, Psychology

cGPA (according to PTCAS): 3.35
pGPA: 3.27 (by my calculations, may vary depending on school and their policies on grade replacements, etc.)
GRE: 148Q, 158V, 3.5W (could have done better on the writing, oops)
LOR: 1 PT director that I did observation with, 1 staff PT at outpatient clinic where I worked, 1 former supervisor at work
Extra Curric/Work: Worked as a customer service supervisor for a year at on campus job; earned my personal training cert through ACSM and began training at UA
Hours: over 1600 in two outpatient ortho clinics, 30 SNIF

Applied: AT Still University (late app), St. Ambrose, Creighton, Briar Cliff, South College, Marshall, UMES, VCU, GWU, Arkansas State

Interviews: South College (12/4), Marshall (1/13), UMES (1/27), Briar Cliff (1/13-declined)

Rejected: AT Still, St. Ambrose, Creighton, VCU, GWU, A-State

Wait Listed: Marshall (1/27), South (12/8), UMES (2/7)

Accepted: None yet :(

Any advice for apps next year (already planning on getting more inpatient hours/more diverse hours; debating retaking Physics, as I have a C in both...), or simply positive thoughts would be wonderful! I'm starting to lose hope about those wait lists, as it's been a while since I've heard anything from either of them. Thanks!

I've been silently stalking this feed to see how I compare to everyone, but deciding to actually post my stats now. I'm starting to feel like it might not happen for me this year, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

pGPA: 3.27 (by my calculations, may vary depending on school and their policies on grade replacements, etc.)
LOR: 1 PT director that I did observation with, 1 staff PT at outpatient clinic where I worked, 1 former supervisor at work
Extra Curric/Work: Worked as a customer service supervisor for a year at on campus job; earned my personal training cert through ACSM and began training at UA

Applied: AT Still University (late app), St. Ambrose, Creighton, Briar Cliff, South College, Marshall, UMES, VCU, GWU, Arkansas State

Interviews: South College (12/4), Marshall (1/13), UMES (1/27), Briar Cliff (1/13-declined)

Any advice for apps next year (already planning on getting more inpatient hours/more diverse hours; debating retaking Physics, as I have a C in both...), or simply positive thoughts would be wonderful! I'm starting to lose hope about those wait lists, as it's been a while since I've heard anything from either of them. Thanks!

I would retake some of the classes you have C's in, that will bump up your GPA some.

More importantly, I think, would be to retake your GRE and try to get your Quantitative and Writing scores higher. 148 Q is the 31st percentile. I would think that bumping that into the 150s would help.

Don't lose hope for this year, I've met people who have gotten moved off waitlists as late as July.

I agree with the person above me that you should retake the GRE, other than that you have a lot of shadowing hours, maybe add another PT setting. Improving your GPA wouldn't hurt either but your GPA isn't bad. If I were you I would not reapply to VCU because on their PTCAS page they say they accept 85% in-state students. Also, I creeped on their FB class of 2020 page and almost everyone in their bio had that they did undergrad in VA. I would apply to some different schools that do not prefer in-state students bc they probably only accept out-of-staters with top grades. I have similar stats to you and was waitlisted at VCU this cycle (I am a VA resident.) I was also denied at GWU this cycle too w/out an interview. I would try more private schools and also public schools in Arizona, and public schools who have low average GPA acceptance rates, and that don't favor in-state students if you arn't from that state. I don't know anything about the other schools you applied to.

Hopefully you get in off a wait list soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for your replies! Still hoping I hear from the schools I'm wait listed at this cycle, but for Marshall especially, it's getting down to the wire here. @preptkittty123 , yeah I looked at those stats too but I figured I'd go for the long shot this year, since it was my first year applying. I think next year I'll probably go for an ED school and see what happens then do others for regular decision if that doesn't work out. I really don't want to have to retake the GRE (mostly because it's so expensive lol), but I agree that it would probably affect my stats the most. Thanks again!

For those who are stressing about low GPAs:

Undergrad: Towson University
Major: Exercise Science
Minors: Spanish

cGPA 3.29
pGPA: 3.0
GRE: 151Q, 158 V, 4.5 W
LOR: 2 PTs from an internship, exercise science research methods teacher
Extra Curric/Work: volunteered in a rehab clinic in a nursing home, volunteered in joint and spine center at hospital, internship in a pt clinic in a gym, exercise science club, habitat for humanity, working as a rehab tech for a pt clinic for over a year
Hours: unpaid: 240 hrs outpatient, 100 inpatient
Paid: 500+ hrs outpatient
Applied: UMES, GWU, Howard University

Interviews: Howard University (3/30)

Rejected: UMES, GWU

Accepted: Howard Univeristy (4/13) :)

Gpa is important and I may have been able to get into the other two schools if I improved my GPA but good LORs GRE scores and experience hours are important as well!!

Undergrad: Kennesaw State University
Major: Exercise Science
cGPA: 3.51
Pre-req GPA: 3.15
GRE: 150V 147Q 3.5AW
LOR: 1 PT, professor in major, employer
Extra Curricular/Work: 3 yr member of competitive cheer team, exercise science majors club, leadership group, worked at club sports gym for 2 years, CPR/AED cert
Observation Hours: 100+ between inpatient and outpatient

Applied: Armstrong, FAMU, UCF, UF, Howard, Hampton

Interviews: Howard

Rejections: Armstrong, UCF, UF, FAMU (I'm assuming...haven't heard back)

Acceptances: Howard, Hampton

Attending: Hampton University!

This was my second cycle applying. My stats are pretty average and I have low GRE scores but I think I had a solid application, put a lot into my essay, and had a pretty good interview. To those with lower/average stats, don't give up! Make up for it elsewhere in your application. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I declined UMES, hope this helps!

UPDATE:

University: U of Alabama
Major: Human Performance and Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.21
Pre-Req GPA: 2.97
GRE: Q 157 V 157 W 4.5

Extra-Curric: Not many. Some community service (~40 hours total). Competitive powerlifter.

Volunteer: See above. I worked with students that have disabilities as a part of a class that I took. I taught them how to exercise and play some sports. I also volunteered in the relief efforts after a tornado.

Applied: Alabama St, Augusta, Belmont, Georgia St, Mercer, Tennessee St, Central Florida, North Florida, North Georgia, South Alabama, Western Kentucky, Arkansas State, Tennessee Health Science Center, St. Augustine

Interviews: Tennessee State (10/21), Augusta University (11/18), Memphis Mingle invite for Tennessee HSC (declined due to Augusta interview), and St. Augustine upcoming (12/2)

Acceptances: Augusta University (11/23), TN State (11/24 - Declined), ST. AUGUSTINE (FL Campus)(12/20)!!

Rejections: Belmont, GSU, UNG

I go to UA and am looking to apply to St. Augustine next year. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: ATTENDING CLARKSON UNIVERSITY CLASS OF 2020!!! :D :D
University: California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo
Major: Animal Science
Overall GPA: 3.60
Pre-Req GPA: depends on school 3.3-3.6
GRE: didn't take

Observation Hours: 45 Inpatient Hospital, ~100 Sports Outpatient, ~70 Inpatient Rehabilitation

Applied: Clarkson University, Western University of Health Sciences, University of North Texas at Fort Worth

Acceptances: Clarkson University

Rejections: University of North Texas at Fort Worth

Interviews: Western University of Health Sciences (1/17)

Waitlisted: Western University of Health Sciences (02/02)

Observation Hours: 45 Inpatient Hospital, ~100 Sports Outpatient, ~70 Inpatient Rehabilitation

Applied: Clarkson University, Western University of Health Sciences, University of North Texas at Fort Worth

Did you just receive your acceptance today!?

Hey, good luck on your journey to becoming a PT! Did UNT at Fort Worth give you a reason for rejection? My stats look fairly similar to yours and will be applying this cycle!

Hey, good luck on your journey to becoming a PT! Did UNT at Fort Worth give you a reason for rejection? My stats look fairly similar to yours and will be applying this cycle!
Nope, no reason. Thank you so much, I am very excited.

UPDATE:

University: Drew University
Major: Biology
Over All GPA: 3.17
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.4 depending on program
GRE: Q156 V147 W3

Extracurricular: 4 year collegiate athlete (baseball), Habitat for Humanity
Certificates: CPR & AED certified

Observation Hours: 99 inpatient- acute rehab, cardiac ICU; 1500+ out patient orthopedic physical therapy (2 settings)
PTCAS submitted: 6/30/2016
PTCAS verified: 7/15/2016

Applied: Thomas Jefferson, NYIT, Stony Brook University, SUNY Downstate, Hunter College, LIU Brooklyn, University of Scranton, Drexel, Touro College- Bayshore campus, Lynchburg College, Daemen College, D' Youville College

Interviews: NYIT, Thomas Jefferson, SUNY Downstate (2/27)

Waitlisted: Thomas Jefferson (11/14), Lynchburg College (2/3)

Rejected: NYIT, Stony Brook, Hunter College, University of Scranton, Drexel, D'Youville College, LIU Brooklyn

Accepted: Touro College- Bayshore Campus (4/21)

FINAL UPDATE!!!!!

University: Arizona State University
Overall GPA: 3.02 (whew!) (AU 3.14)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.29
GRE: V-153 Q-152 A-4.0

Extra-Curric: Missionary work in Australia (~8000 hours), Boy Scouts of America, Sunday school teacher for 10-11 year olds (sometimes chaotic), Ultimate Frisbee, Being a good Dad.

Volunteer: Approximately 450 hours outpatient in various settings. About 40 hours in-patient in both hospital and SNF.

Applied- AT Still, Franklin Pierce (Az), Midwestern University (Az), Northern Arizona University, Wheeling Jesuit University, CSU-Fresno, Indiana State University, Lynchburg College, Touro University (Nv), and UNLV

Rejections: CSU-Fresno, NAU, Midwestern, UNLV
Interviews: Indiana State University (12-3), Wheeling Jesuit University (01-27)
Waitlisted: Indiana State University, Wheeling Jesuit University, Touro, Lynchburg College

Acceptances: Wheeling Jesuit University (02/20) Franklin Pierce Az (03/22), Indiana State University (04/15)

Attending Indiana State University!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG its like winning a mini lottery. I fly out next week to Indiana to find somewhere to live and work towards securing that sweet sweet in-state tuition. These forums reading other peoples inquiries and answers have been invaluable and I just want to give a thank you to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
University: James Madison University
Major: Health Sciences (switched from Biology)
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: 3.10
GRE: 151 V, 155 Q, 4.0 W
Hours: ~120 hours in 2 different settings (~75 outpatient clinic, ~45 inpatient rehab hospital)
Extracurricular: 4 years on Club XC & Track Team (currently on exec as race director), Pre-PT Society

Applied: Lynchburg, ODU, Radford, Shenandoah, VCU, Emory & Henry, GWU, Wingate, MUSC, Marymount, Mary Baldwin
Interviews: Emory & Henry (12/5)
Rejections: ODU, Radford, Shenandoah, VCU, GWU, MUSC, Marymount
Waitlisted: Emory & Henry (1/31), Lynchburg (2/23)
Accepted: Emory & Henry (4/20)

For those of you on the lower end GPA-wise, even though it's late in the cycle don't give up hope! I was in the process of looking into what classes I needed to retake this summer when I was notified about the acceptance, and I couldn't be happier. Congrats to everyone else on acceptances, and especially good luck to those still waiting to hear back from places.

Final Update:
University: New York University '13
Major: Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.52
GRE: 168V, 162Q, 5.0W
Hours: ~2000 across 3 different settings
Relevant Extras/Work: Lead Trainer in a comprehensive pain management program for 1 year, Outpatient PT aide for 6 months, Lead Coordinator NYU Undie Run

Applied: UCSF/SFSU, CSULB, CSUN, Samuel Merritt, Western U, Regis University, Chapman, Puget Sound, University of Washington, Franklin Pierce AZ, NAU
Interviews: Western U (1/24), UCSF/SFSU(1/27), Regis (1/30)
Rejections: UCSF/SFSU, NAU
Waitlisted: Chapman, Puget Sound
Acceptances: Franklin Pierce AZ, Western U, UW, Regis, CSULB (Pulled off waitlist on 3/30), CSUN (Pulled off waitlist on 3/27), Samuel Merritt (Pulled off waitlist on 3/20)

Attending: California State University, Long Beach

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances, keep your head up anyone that's still waiting, and good luck to anyone reading this that's applying for the 2017-2018 cycle.
Your GRE scores are outstanding. The GRE is about the only thing left on my list for requirements and i want to do great my first try and have until July 11 to study. Would you mind telling me how you studied for it? How many times you took it? Or any tips at all! It is something i have been stressing about! lol

Hello all,

Please feel free to let me know if you think this file belongs in another thread, but I made a spreadsheet for my Pre-PT club that has all the GPA (if reported), GRE (if reported), and prereqs for every school on PTCAS. I figure if you're a future applicant that's been pouring through this thread and PTCAS for data like me, it's nice to have all the info in one place.

Attachments

• All PTCAS Schools Info.xlsx
    37 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: 5 users
Hello are there any top schools that have really high acceptance rates for Physical therapy schools?

Your GRE scores are outstanding. The GRE is about the only thing left on my list for requirements and i want to do great my first try and have until July 11 to study. Would you mind telling me how you studied for it? How many times you took it? Or any tips at all! It is something i have been stressing about! lol

I took the GRE once and studied seriously for about a month leading up to it. I bought a Kaplan book and another book of practice tests, but I know a lot of people recommend Magoosh. I'll just give you some general tips since there's plenty more in depth stuff around the internet (go to reddit.com/gre and sort by top posts).
  • The GRE is all about developing your test taking flow. The more you practice, the better you will do.
  • Consistency will be key; schedule out a block of time each day to study.
  • Get used to taking the test on a computer. Having only practiced with books, I was thrown off when I had to read math problems off a screen.
  • Don't stress or think too hard about it. You have plenty of time to study. Make sure you incorporate self-care/stress-relief into your study schedule.
  • Don't drink coffee or too much water the morning of the test because they don't give you a bathroom break until you're 3 sections in!
  • Have a general idea of the schools you're planning on applying to. Your quant and verbal sections are graded immediately so if you're satisfied you can pick ~5 schools to send your scores to for free. I took the GRE a year before I was ready to apply so I just picked random schools and ended up having to pay a lot more in order to send my scores to the schools I actually wanted to apply to.

Update...
Been waiting a long time to post this. Non-trad applicant, 3rd cycle applying...

University: University of Central Florida (c/o 2011)
Major: Health Science - Pre-Clinical Allied Health
Overall GPA: 3.03
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.73 depending on the school (only applied to schools that accept retakes)
GRE: 300 Q/V, 4 AW

Extra-Curric: President of the Women's Volleyball Club at UCF (3 years), Secretary of same club (1 year), National Collegiate Volleyball Federation ranking committee member (1 year), involved in a number of fundraising events throughout undergrad
Volunteer: 113 inpatient volunteer, 1200+ outpatient volunteer/paid (currently employed as a PT tech for ~2 years)

Acceptances: Methodist University (1/20), Marymount University (4/27)
Rejections:
Quite a few, comes with the territory of being a low cGPA applicant
Interviews: Marymount University (12/3) – accepted, Methodist University (1/5) – accepted, University of St. Augustine (Austin campus) 2/24 – rejected

Posting this to give hope to anyone who has struggled with a low cGPA. Hard work & determination + choosing the schools you apply to wisely is key!

Never imagined I would have a choice. This will be a hard decision to make!

Hello all,

Please feel free to let me know if you think this file belongs in another thread, but I made a spreadsheet for my Pre-PT club that has all the GPA (if reported), GRE (if reported), and prereqs for every school on PTCAS. I figure if you're a future applicant that's been pouring through this thread and PTCAS for data like me, it's nice to have all the info in one place.

This is amazing and would have been so nice to have during the application process! I have already been accepted to a DPT school (Nova SE - Ft. Lauderdale) but I will be sharing this document with my friends who are applying this next cycle! Thank you for sharing!

Hey guys,

I am wondering if schools care about where you went to undergrad. I currently have a 3.1 at James Madison U which is not the greatest, while some of my friends have a 3.5-3.8 but at a smaller and "easier" school. Would a lower gpa at a better institution be better than getting a high gpa at a college where it's easy to do good?

University: James Madison University
Major: Health Sciences (switched from Biology)
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: 3.10
GRE: 151 V, 155 Q, 4.0 W
Hours: ~120 hours in 2 different settings (~75 outpatient clinic, ~45 inpatient rehab hospital)
Extracurricular: 4 years on Club XC & Track Team (currently on exec as race director), Pre-PT Society

Applied: Lynchburg, ODU, Radford, Shenandoah, VCU, Emory & Henry, GWU, Wingate, MUSC, Marymount, Mary Baldwin
Interviews: Emory & Henry (12/5)
Rejections: ODU, Radford, Shenandoah, VCU, GWU, MUSC, Marymount
Waitlisted: Emory & Henry (1/31), Lynchburg (2/23)
Accepted: Emory & Henry (4/20)

For those of you on the lower end GPA-wise, even though it's late in the cycle don't give up hope! I was in the process of looking into what classes I needed to retake this summer when I was notified about the acceptance, and I couldn't be happier. Congrats to everyone else on acceptances, and especially good luck to those still waiting to hear back from places.

Hey,
Congrats getting into PT school! I also go to James Madison University lol and I'm a kinesiology major. Do you think I have a chance of getting into PT school with these stats?

GPA: 3.14
Pre-req GPA: 3.47
Observation hours: 160 hours in outpatient, and going to get about 100 more this summer

I know my GPA isn't great but hopefully someone will give me a shot! Thankyou!

Hey guys,

I am wondering if schools care about where you went to undergrad. I currently have a 3.1 at James Madison U which is not the greatest, while some of my friends have a 3.5-3.8 but at a smaller and "easier" school. Would a lower gpa at a better institution be better than getting a high gpa at a college where it's easy to do good?

I wondered something similar when I was applying last year. The answer I was given is that in summary, no, your undergrad institution does not matter. In their eyes, a GPA is a GPA.

Hey guys,

You have a good prereq GPA so you don't need to worry too much.

My PT club had a tour with a PT school a few years ago and one of the PT professors at the school told us that the do pay attention to what school you went to. The person I don't remember if he was the chair or part of admissions or what but he told us they prefer a 3.2 GPA from school A compared to a 3.8 from others. But he said if it were an open house they would never say that to anyone.

Also, at my two PT school interviews they told me they do take that into consideration.

I do agree with the person who posted after you though. A GPA is a GPA and most schools are just trying to get their numbers up. So yeah they consider it but not as much you would hope they would.

FINAL UPDATE!

Major:
Exercise Science Pre-PT
Overall GPA: 3.47
Pre-Req GPA: 3.35
GRE: 153 V 155 Q 3.5 AW

Extra Curricular:

College Football Division 1 athlete Volunteer hours at dog shelter and school races

Observation: 30
outpatient orthopedics, 50 inpatient pediatrics

Applied: Mercer University, Augusta University, Emory University, University of North Georgia, Georgia State University, Armstrong Atlantic University, Brenau University finished Applying to all 8/28/16
Interviews: As of now Augusta (9/1/16) gave me one super early at only two weeks after i submitted, but i had to push it back for football to November 18 instead of October and i dont know if that will hurt my chances. I havent heard anything else but i will update!
Update!: Interview Brenau University!: 12/10/16 These interviews are coming a little faster than i thought I just dont know how i would pay for private colleges...
Attending: Brenau!
Waitlist: GSU, Mercer,Emory.Armstrong Atlantic state university

ACCEPTED - Midwestern University

University of Colorado - Boulder Dec 15'
Major: Integrative Physiology (Kinesiology equivalent)
Overall GPA: 3.38 (Definitely considering taking more classes if I have to apply again...), just finished taking a Medical Terminology class
Pre-Req GPA: 3.15
GRE:
7/17/2015- 145 V, 157 Q, 4.5 AW
8/25/2016- 149 V, 157 Q, 3.5 AW

Extra-Curric: Two week Medical Mission Trip to Vietnam (I talked about this trip in my personal essay), President of Club Tennis Team for three years, Anatomy/Biology Academic Tutor, Tennis coach at country club (for two summers), Intern at a Spinal Cord Injury Clinic for a year, Physical Therapy Aide for one year at an outpatient clinic and four years at the University Sports Medicine Department, Additional jobs during the school year like book store and dining hall services, Volunteered with Medical Supply and Humane Society, Member of the Vietnamese Student Association

I am currently working as a medical scribe in the emergency departments

Hours: 130 hours at the outpatient University Sports Medicine Department, 20 hours pediatrics, 100 hours women's health, 20 hours Kaiser outpatient, 30 hours skilled nursing facility/geriatrics, 20 hours Inpatient rehabilitation, 20 hours Acute Care, 75 hours outpatient orthopedic hours, 75 hours neurology, (~500 observation hours). If you include my hours working as a PT Aide then my hours would be around 1500.

Applied (The schools with * are the schools I reapplied to):

Duke University, Regis University*, University of California SF, University of North Carolina at Chapel, University of Pittsburgh*, University of Puget Sound, University of Utah, University of Vermont, University of Washington*, University of Wisconsin - Madison*, Washington University of St Louis*, University of Colorado*, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, Azusa Pacific University* (withdrew application), MCPHS University, Northeastern University, West Coast University, Midwestern University - Glendale, University of St. Augustine in California (technically need to take a medical terms class to complete application).

Acceptances: MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY (4/14/2017)

Rejections: Duke University, Regis University, University of California SF, University of North Carolina at Chapel, University of Puget Sound, University of Utah, University of Vermont, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Washington University of St Louis, University of Colorado, West Coast University (issue with my transcript), Northeastern University

Interviews: University of California SF (1/27 - Rejected), Midwestern University - Glendale (3/24), MCPHS University (3/29), Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions (4/28 - Declined interview)

Waitlist: Regis University (waitlist for interview - Rejected), University of Pittsburgh (no interview), Midwestern University - Glendale (4/5), MCPHS University (4/12 - declined waitlist)

-----------
*This is my second time applying*

Additional information from last application cycle:
I was waitlisted to Regis University (for an interview), University of Pittsburgh (no interview), and Washington University in St. Louis (In March 2016 I was #19 and made it all the way to #1 and waited until the first week of class. No one dropped out). I also had a Skype interview with Azusa Pacific but chose to decline it because I had anticipated an acceptance with St. Louis... oops.

Obviously St. Louis was my top choice and the anticipation over the five months was BRUTAL. I honestly don't know any other student who was in my shoes. I wasn't sure if it was worth knowing my position or not. But it was definitely a big eye opener and that experience made me open to other schools. I didn't want to be so caught up for a school's name and number (all the PTs I worked with kept reminding me about this). I really needed to look at the schools holistically because we are essentially taking the same PT Boards Exam regardless of school. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise because I would not have the opportunity to check out schools like San Francisco and Midwestern! Despite being rejected, I've been trying to keep my head held high. I believe it is much better to move on with a positive attitude.

Other schools I applied to that I didn't this year: Samuel Merritt (only because I didn't meet the verbal GRE 150 minimum), University of Southern California, and Boston University.

What made you choose Midwestern? Did you tour with the school at all?

FINAL UPDATE!

Major:
Exercise Science Pre-PT
Overall GPA: 3.47
Pre-Req GPA: 3.35
GRE: 153 V 155 Q 3.5 AW

Extra Curricular:

College Football Division 1 athlete Volunteer hours at dog shelter and school races

Observation: 30
outpatient orthopedics, 50 inpatient pediatrics

Applied: Mercer University, Augusta University, Emory University, University of North Georgia, Georgia State University, Armstrong Atlantic University, Brenau University finished Applying to all 8/28/16
Interviews: As of now Augusta (9/1/16) gave me one super early at only two weeks after i submitted, but i had to push it back for football to November 18 instead of October and i dont know if that will hurt my chances. I havent heard anything else but i will update!
Update!: Interview Brenau University!: 12/10/16 These interviews are coming a little faster than i thought I just dont know how i would pay for private colleges...
Attending: Brenau!
Waitlist:
GSU, Mercer,Emory.Armstrong Atlantic state university

How was your interview with Brenau? I will be applying there next cycle, if you could tell me how your interview and interaction with the staff it would be really helpful! Congrats!

I will be applying for this upcoming cycle and keep this updated accordingly.

Major:
Kinesiology - Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 158 V 163 Q 4.5 AW

Extra Curricular:

retail job - 3 years
working at a gym doing cold laser therapy - 3 months
behavior interventionist - behavior modification for kids with disabilities for 3 months
biomechanics internship at school - 1 semester
aquatic therapy internship at school - 1 semester
PE teacher internship at school - 1 semester

Observation:
100 outpatient, 50 inpatient

Planning to apply to: Western, CSULB, Chapman, West Coast, Azusa
Interviews:
Attending:
Waitlist:

NOTES:
Unfortunately i received an academic infraction during my final semester for cheating on an online exam (supposedly monitored activity of opening other windows/tabs during an exam to use as sources). I was allowed to finish the course by receiving a 0 on the exam but i ended up with a B+. Not sure how this might affect me, but this is most likely the only cycle i will be applying and if not accepted i am reevaluating my career options. I am leaning more towards the EXPENSIVE private institutions as they seem to accept more people with my stats; with CSULB being my reach school. Also i will be considering schools in New York and Texas if anyone has any suggestions.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if all prerequisites have to be completed before applying for the University of Delaware? I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere online.

school: CUNY graduating December 2017
cum undergrad gpa: 3.86
major gpa:
Prereq gpa: 3.8-4.0 have not completed physics II, and depends on which classes
Biology major, chemistry minor
GRE: V163 Q159 A4.5
volunteer: 120+ total/ 69 hrs school for kids with brain injury, 48 hrs outpatient, 18 hrs and continuing at hospital inpatient and outpatient
Extra: Organic Chemistry tutor and team teacher, volunteer at local charities, soup kitchens, other work experience including elderly care and personal caregiver for lady with cerebral palsy
LORs: Organic chem prof, PT from the school, professor who runs the tutoring center where I work

I am planning to apply ED to Duke. then i will see what happens and apply to more schools....

The application opens tomorrow!! I am so nervous and worried, because I guess it is too late to change anything. I feel confident and then I read more and do more research and start freaking out. I am worried about the application, like how long does it take to fill out, all the paperwork needed to get my transcript, GRE scores etc. Do you guys have any advice?

My school does not have a Pre-PT club or any thing, so I am basically figuring this out on my own. I only know of one other student at my school who is on the pre-pt track, but he is only starting, so I need some advise, which is why I just joined this forum today. Also all the PTs i know went to school and got their degrees when it was still bachelors or masters, so they all tell me they dont know how this thing works now :(

University: Texas Tech
Major: Kinesiology Minor: Health Professions
Overall GPA: 3.95
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85 (ish, depending on the school)
GRE:V157 Q158 A4.0

Extra-Curric: Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity (service chair, merchandise chair, and pledge trainer, + over 100 hours of community service), Omicron Delta Kappa (treasurer), Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Pre-Physical Therapy Club, 3 years research experience, studied abroad in Spain for a summer

Volunteer: 300+ outpatient, 60 pediatrics, 80 acute care, currently working at a clinic (should have 150-200 paid hours by the end of the summer)
LORS: 2 PTs, 1 Prof in major (who is also a PT I observe with), and 1 previous employer at a national laboratory

Applying: Duke (ED), Northern Arizona, North Carolina, TTU-HSC, University of North Texas, and Texas State

Last edited:
Applying: Duke (ED), Northern Arizona, North Carolina, TTU-HSC, University of North Texas, and Texas State

Cool! we might be in the same class. Good luck! i am interested in the stats of the people you said were denied?

University: Texas Tech
Major: Kinesiology Minor: Health Professions
Overall GPA: 3.95
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85 (ish, depending on the school)
GRE:V157 Q158 A4.0

Extra-Curric: Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity (service chair, merchandise chair, and pledge trainer, + over 100 hours of community service), Omicron Delta Kappa (treasurer), Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Pre-Physical Therapy Club, 3 years research experience, studied abroad in Spain for a summer

Volunteer: 300+ outpatient, 60 pediatrics, 80 acute care
LORS: 2 PTs, 1 Prof in major (who is also a PT I observe with), and 1 previous employer at a national laboratory

Any advice would be great! A lot of people I have talked to who applied last year were denied admissions, so I'm not really sure where I stand.

You should be absolutely fine. I had similar stats and applied to some of the same schools. I was accepted to Duke and UNT as well as a number of others, both private, or state schools in Texas and Florida. I did not choose to go to Duke because of finances but it is a great program. Since you are applying ED, I am assuming it is your first choice?

University: UC-Berkeley
Major: History
Overall GPA: 3.32
Pre-Req GPA: 3.17-3.36
GRE: GRE: V 155, Q 154, AW 3.5 (no idea)

Volunteer: >125 hours, all in-patient.

Extra-Curric: Too many to list. Also married w/ child

Work Experience: 10 year Army veteran

Applied: Duke (ED), MUSC, Armstrong St, and Baylor- U.S. Army DPT program

Interviewed:

Rejected:

Accepted: Duke

Last edited:
University: West Chester University Major: History
Overall GPA: 3.26
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3
GRE: GRE: V 154, Q 159, AW 3.5
attempting for CSCS before interviews
Hours: 500+ out patient (in hospital and stand alone clinic)
640 hrs for AT clinic (major req'd)

Extra-Curric: Honors Fraternity, Exec board for club soccer, multiple charity groups

Applied: Temple, UNC, Emory, Boston U

Interviewed:

Rejected:

Accepted:
Good luck from another History major.

University: UC-Berkeley
Major: History
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA: 3.16-3.25
GRE: GRE: V 155, Q 154, AW 3.5 (no idea)

Volunteer: >125 hours, all in-patient.

Extra-Curric: Too many to list. Also married w/ child

Work Experience: 10 year Army veteran

Applied: Duke, MUSC, Armstrong St, and Baylor- U.S. Army DPT program

Interviewed:

Rejected:

Accepted:
Unique background! I usually don't see too many applicants from elite schools (like Berkeley) on these forums, so I'll be interested in seeing how you end up. Best of luck!

Unique background! I usually don't see too many applicants from elite schools (like Berkeley) on these forums, so I'll be interested in seeing how you end up. Best of luck!

Thanks. My GPA has taken a beating for being at Berkeley, but I hope at least one of my DPT schools lets me in. I'll keep you informed.

Hi guys! looking for any advice because I'm loosing much sleep over the stress of this coming cycle, it will be my first time applying but Im extremely nervous that I will not get in anywhere. I will be applying to most places in Ohio.

University: University of Dayton
Major: Biology - Focus in Chemistry
GPA: 3.4
Pre Req GPA: 3.55
GRE: 156V 158Q 3.5A

Hours: 170 - Outpatient 50-Inpatient 20-Neuro/pulmonary inpatient
LOR - 2 PT's vie volunteered under and 1 Ex. Physical professor

My GPA was on a upward trend my first two years i got 3.0's and last two years got 3.8's

I am currently taking Stats this summer which i didn't fit in to my undergrad classes and hating a psych class and Gen Chem 2 over again all which i should end up with A's in to hopefully most my GPA up a little bit more. I am also hoping to go on a PT volunteer abroad trip but not till after i submit my applications in October! Anything else i can do or even just encouraging words on where to apply would really help me out!

please please let me know what you guys think my chances are!

school: CUNY graduating December 2017
cum undergrad gpa: 3.86
major gpa:
Prereq gpa: 3.8-4.0 have not completed physics II, and depends on which classes
Biology major, chemistry minor
GRE: V163 Q159 A4.5
volunteer: 120+ total/ 69 hrs school for kids with brain injury, 48 hrs outpatient, 18 hrs and continuing at hospital inpatient and outpatient
Extra: Organic Chemistry tutor and team teacher, volunteer at local charities, soup kitchens, other work experience including elderly care and personal caregiver for lady with cerebral palsy
LORs: Organic chem prof, PT from the school, professor who runs the tutoring center where I work

I am planning to apply ED to Duke. then i will see what happens and apply to more schools....

The application opens tomorrow!! I am so nervous and worried, because I guess it is too late to change anything. I feel confident and then I read more and do more research and start freaking out. I am worried about the application, like how long does it take to fill out, all the paperwork needed to get my transcript, GRE scores etc. Do you guys have any advice?

My school does not have a Pre-PT club or any thing, so I am basically figuring this out on my own. I only know of one other student at my school who is on the pre-pt track, but he is only starting, so I need some advise, which is why I just joined this forum today. Also all the PTs i know went to school and got their degrees when it was still bachelors or masters, so they all tell me they dont know how this thing works now :(

Hey! I'm applying to Duke ED too! I'm super nervous-- the more I work on my app the worse it gets. How do you feel about the application so far?

Hi! I am so excited to finally be applying. As I keep reading other applicant's stats, I'm getting more nervous. I plan to apply to Duke ED and I feel like my GPA is a bit low compared to others that I am seeing. I have spent a lot of time in the field and I have been very involved on my campus. Will those things make much of a difference? Does anyone have any advice?

University: Oakland University
Major: Health Science Pre-PT, Exercise Science Minor
GPA: 3.8
Pre Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 164V 155Q 4A

Hours: 1885 hrs - 30 inpatient rehab, 30 acute, 65 special needs pediatrics, 1760 outpatient clinic
LOR - PT I volunteered with, PT who I researched with and is DPT faculty at my university, Dean of Honors College, Anatomy Professor

Extra-Curric: Pre-PT Club (Vice President), Honors College, Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Sunday School Teacher, Anatomy Lab Teaching Assistant, Honors College Teaching Assistant, Admissions Ambassador, Orientation Group Leader, Physics Grader, Physical Therapy Tech, Swim Instructor, Nightwatch (housing job), OUCARES (volunteering to run programs for people with autism)

Applying: Duke ED, Emory, Oakland University, UM Flint

Acceptances: Duke ED

Last edited:
Second cycle attempt

University of Nevada, reno
M: community health science
CGPA:3.46
PreGPA: 3.92-3.80 depending on school
Extra curriculum: TA for a Kinesiology course, 200 hours mobilizing patients in a hospital, SNF volunteer,

GRE: Q-152 V-152 W-4
(Plan on retaking but probably won't till after early desision is submitted)
observations: 128 hrs in 2 out patient settings (sports, wellness and preventive) 50 hrs inpatient in multiple settings( cardiovascular & pulmonary, neuro, truma ICU, cancer care)

Schools: UNLV, U of Utah, AT still, northeastern U, Montana, NOVA, Bellermine, Rutgers

Any feedback to make my application stronger would be appreciated.

Hey! I'm applying to Duke ED too! I'm super nervous-- the more I work on my app the worse it gets. How do you feel about the application so far?

yeah, i don't know at all......i'm just trying to complete it so I can stop stressing (for now) good luck to you!