GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it a bad thing to not have heard back from Philly U and Temple, with my app being verified in the beginning of November? What does it mean to have not heard back at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a bad thing to not have heard back from Philly U and Temple, with my app being verified in the beginning of November? What does it mean to have not heard back at all?

I can only speak for Temple, but my OTCAS was verified September 12th and I just heard about an interview this past Tuesday. It was a very long wait, but I know it was partially due to the fact that I was still completing prereqs. So if your still completing prereqs that may be why. But I wouldn't say it was a bad thing… not yet.

Last year, I just logged into my Temple application and saw that I wasn't accepted. It wasn't until like two weeks later that I got a letter in the mail. So it's possible that your decision is posted on your temple application (you just have to log back into your account and there a line that says admission decision). Things could have changed this year, but it doesn't hurt to log in and check. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major: Clinical Psychology
Minor: Religion
Overall GPA: 3.68 manga cum laude
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 165 verbal, 162 math, 4.5 analytical writing

Observation: 350+ Hours in adult inpatient psychiatric unit (actively ran groups and created individualized sensory based calming toolsKits with patients), 10 hours of individual sessions of pediatric school OT - continued working individually with clients to practice skills learned in session for additional 50 hours, 6 hours in OT oriented trainings

LOR: extremely positive letters from 1 OT, 1 professor (senior thesis adviser), 2 supervisors

Work experiences: 10 months clinical intern at adult psychiatric inpatient unit; 14 months in class mental health counselor in non-public school for kids 7-18 with severe emotional and behavioral disturbance; 5 months case manager of multiple adolescent psychiatric crisis stabilization programs and non public schools

Research experiences: 1 year Health Quality of Life Lab focusing on emotional communication for individuals with facial paralysis (PI is an OT), 1 year ADHD and computerized attention training for adolescents lab, 1.5 years in neuroscience lab focusing on fear memory consolidation in mice (3rd author in publication), 1.5 years in PTSD lab focusing on genetic v. Environmental origins of cognitive differences in war veterans (high honors on senior thesis)

Volunteer experiences: honestly, I was always at my research lab or internships so I haven't had time to invest in volunteering. I helped out the Humane Society a few times...

Extras: 2 years president and 1 year treasurer of college belly dance club, 6 months study abroad in Hong Kong, CPR/Fist aid certified, black belt martial artist, member of meditation society, yoga practitioner, cook, and crochet-er

Applied to: SJSU, Tufts, BU, Pacific University of Oregon, UW Seattle
Interviews: Pacific (invited 1/16, interviewed 2/7)
Acceptances: Pacifc (2/13 via phone), BU (2/18 via email), Tufts (2/20 via admissions website), UW (3/12 via email)
Rejections: NA
Attending: Pacific University Oregon

I'm super excited to finally begin hearing back from schools and can actually put up something useful on here!!! This site has been very helpful throughout my applications so please feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck everyone! :)

Edit: After multiple months of frustrating phone tag, I had learned from the Graduate Admissions of SJSU that they had NEVER PROCESSED MY APPLICATION. I had submitted my application in November and learned in March that they mismanaged my files and marked it as incomplete, when in fact it was all there from the beginning. I had called and emailed both GAPE and the OT department countless number of times since submitting my application only to be ignored, rerouted to someone else, or given a cut & paste response that indicated my application was not even glanced at before the person had responded to me. I had done everything short of showing up to the campus in person. Their lack of organization and communication was extremely unprofessional and aggravating. I had lost $150+ in application and transcript fees.

I have nothing to say against the curriculum itself, but everyone please be forewarned. The administration does not care about the applicant due to the surplus of applications. If you truly want to go to SJSU, make sure you get verbal and written confirmation from everyone that touches your application that everything is complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I've lurking around for a while, so I decided to finally post up my stats since I'm finally hearing back from schools!

Undergrad: University of Michigan
Major: Psychology
Minor: Asian Languages and cultures focused in Mandarin Chinese
Overall GPA: 3.2
Pre-req GPA: ~3.6 or so
GRE: 155 verbal, 160 math, 4.5 analytical writing

Observation: ~50 hours at Outpatient rehab, ~5 hours directly with the OT at my work (2000+ hours implementing programs set out by the OT)

Work experiences: Years of being a gymnastics coach starting since I was in high school, tutoring in urban schools for college acceptance success, over a year of PT/OT Aide at a Residential Center for those with disabilities.

Extras: Gymnast, Runner, 1 year of being president of Phi Chapter of Cultural Sorority Kappa Phi Lambda and was very active throughout college in my sorority, 2 years of choreography, among many other things

Applied to: Western Michigan University, Springfield, UIC, NYU, Kansas, St. Ambrose, Pittsburgh, Temple, Rush, Midwestern (IL), Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin Milwaukee, OSU, Boston
Interviews: St. Ambrose (2/20)
Acceptances: St. Ambrose (2/23), OSU (3/6)
Rejections: Kansas, Pittsburgh, Springfield, Midwestern (IL), Boston, UIC
Waitlisted: Wisconsin-Madison, NYU

Good luck to everybody!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Major: Exercise Science w/ a Pre- Occupational Therapy area
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.85/3.9
GRE: V 150, Q 137, AW 4.0
OTCAS verified Oct 9th

Observation: 16 hours in a school system grades preschool-12th grade, 23 hours in inpatient rehab, 10 hours in a skilled nursing facility, 3 hours in outpatient rehab

Work experiences: Licensed CNA for 2 years, Lifeguard for 3 years, and have worked/hold leadership at Applebee's in multiple positions for the last 4.5 years, 150 hour medical assistant internship underneath 4 nurse practitioners, 150 hour internship in progress at an outpatient rehab center with an OT

Volunteer: 48 hours Adopt a Resident Program at nursing home, 52 hours volunteering at day time work place for mentally/developmentally disabled adults

Extracurricular: Member of: The World Wildlife Foundation, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Humane Society in my town
Certified in CPR/AED, Emergency First Aid, Administrating Emergency Oxygen, Administrating Asthma Inhaler, Epinephrine Auto Injector
Dean's List for 5 semesters

Research: Designed a research proposal/experiment involved around the effects of Pet Therapy in Occupational Therapy treatments

Applied to: Nova Southeastern MOT, St. Louis University, Spalding University, Tennessee State University, University of the Sciences, Eastern Kentucky University, Huntington University, Kettering College

Acceptances: Tennessee State University (2/10)!!!

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: Nova Southeastern (10/26), Tennessee State (1/30), St. Louis University (2/13), Huntington University (3/27), Spalding University (2/17), Kettering College (2/20)

Waitlisted: Nova Southeastern (12/18) "Hold applicant"

Update:: I've been accepted to Saint Louis University(SLU) today and Tennessee State University(TSU) last week!!!

Reactions: 9 users
University: Rutgers University
Major: Exercise Science and Sports Studies
Overall GPA: 2.98
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: 159 verbal, 161 quant, 5 writing

Extra-Curric: Waitress, was in various clubs in college, started working as a rehab tech in November

Volunteer: 40 hours inpatient at assisted living facilities, 20 hours outpatient

Acceptances: Virginia Commonwealth University (mid February), University of the Sciences (late January)

Rejections: Salus, Philadelphia U, Chatham U, Pitt, U of Illinois at Chicago, Springfield College

Have not heard from: Sacred Heart, NYU, Seton Hall

Waitlist: Nova Southeastern (late December)

Interviews: Nova had me make a video interview

Anyways, VCU was my number one choice, so I am going there! Can't wait :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Extra-Curric: Waitress, was in various clubs in college, started working as a rehab tech in November

Volunteer: 40 hours inpatient at assisted living facilities, 20 hours outpatient

Acceptances: Virginia Commonwealth University (mid February), University of the Sciences (late January)

Rejections: Salus, Philadelphia U, Chatham U, Pitt, U of Illinois at Chicago, Springfield College

Congrats! I'm going to VCU as well! Maybe see you at the March 27th open house!

@marinav will you be attending WashU in the fall or are you waiting to hear back from other schools?
I am planning on seeing what other options there are out there, but I'm definitely excited about Wash U! Also, looking at Milligan College.

I am planning on seeing what other options there are out there, but I'm definitely excited about Wash U! Also, looking at Milligan College.
Have you interviewed at Milligan yet or do you have an interview coming up? I'm scheduled for one on the 27th.

I also applied to Springfield College - did you get your decision through email? did they call or mail something to you? I am just wondering cause I haven't heard anything from them since I sent in my application.

Have you interviewed at Milligan yet or do you have an interview coming up? I'm scheduled for one on the 27th.
I'm in the interview on the 27th too! Can't wait to meet everyone, I'm so excited :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola, Psychology
GPA: 3.86 | Pre-Req: 3.9-4
GRE: 157V 156Q 4A

OT Volunteer: ~700 hrs _ 11 settings
RIC: Neuro/Stroke , Pediatrics IP & OP, Orthotic IP, TBI, Research
Other: Hand, Hippotherapy, School, SNF, Home Health

Work: Programs Assistant SNF, Home Care, Retail
Internships: RIC - TBI rehab unit

Volunteer: RIC's adaptive rock climbing & wheelchair basketball team assist., Animal Shelter, tutor, Misericordia
Extracurriculars:
Pres. Pre-OT club, RIC Patient Ambassador
Research Experience: R.A. UIC Dpt. Disabilities,
OT Research Observe arm rehab post-stroke --> OT R.A. wheelchair/airline travel

Honors. Awards, etc: Chancellor's and Transfer Pres. Scholarship, Deans List

Applying: Rush, Midwestern IL, UW Milwaukee, Wash U. St. Louis, IU
Accepted: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Interviews: N/A
Waitlist: N/A
Attending: N/A

Last edited:
Congrats on all your hard work, your stats look phenomenal :) I noticed you were applying to 11 schools "and a few others" - just a heads up, if all those schools are listed with OTCAS, that'll start out fees at $575 and then each school may have supplemental fees in addition. UIC-$60 UW Madison $56, Huntington $50, U Minn $30 from a quick look adds up to $771. And then there's all the schools that want your GRE scores directly from ETS. Assuming you use the 4 free recipients on test day, that's $27 x 7 = $189 if you leave the total applied schools at 11. So, minimum $960! I was so shocked by how expensive this whole process was. Luckily, I saved money from fin. aid during undergrad to cover application expenses when I graduated. I hope this heads up helps! You truly deserve to go to any school you have your heart set on after all your dedication, good luck!!

Applying 2015 Summer

University: Loyola University '16 (CU Boulder '12-'13) some pre-reqs @ community college
Overall GPA: ~ 3.88 (last 60 credits 3.94) ./. Pre-Req GPA: ~ 3.9-4 depending.

GRE: N/A .

Applying Summer 2015
..a few of the things are in progress

University: Loyola University '16 (CU Boulder '12-'13) some pre-reqs @ community college
Overall GPA: ~ 3.88 (last 60 credits 3.94) ./. Pre-Req GPA: ~ 3.9-4 depending.

GRE: N/A .

OT Volunteer/Observation: ~600 hrs _ 10 settings
Rehab Institute of Chicago (RIC): Neuro/Stroke Inpatient (116) ./. Pediatrics Inpatient (100) ./. Orthotic/Prostetics Inpatient (100) ./ .Reseach Outpatient (100)
OTHER: Hand Therapy Outpatient (46)./. Hippotherapy Outpatient (40) ./. School Outpatient (25) ./. SNF Inpatient (30) ./. Hospital Acute (25) ./. Home Health Outpatient (25).

Work: __ .Activity Aid SNF OR Rehab Tech (150 hrs)?? summer 2015. /. R.G.U.S. Home Care Aid (1200 hrs) 2014-P. /. Retail Sales (1400 hrs) 2011-12 & summers 2013 -14..
Internships: __ RIC - TBI floor (100 hrs) fall 2015 -P ..
Volunteer: __ . RIC's Wheel Chair Basketball League (50 hrs) .Nov 2014 - April 2015 ./. Animal Shelter (200 hrs) .summers 2011-13..
Leadership: __. President/Founder Pre-OT Association 2014-P ./. Patient Ambassador RIC. 2015-P ./. retail sales peer trainer. summers 2012-14 ./. L4C elementary tutor Group Leader fall 2015-P.
Extracurriculars w/ school: __ .Pre-OT Association (60 hrs). 2014-P. /. L4C tutor/volunteer program (50 hrs) .2015-P.
Teaching/ Tutoring: __ L4C program elementary tutor (50 hrs **same as extracurricular) .2015-P. /. Instruct elementary health class (20 hrs) .2015.
Honors. Awards, etc: __. Chancellor's Scholarship. 2012-13. /. Transfer Pres. Scholarship 2013-P ./. Deans List 3 yrs. /. Tau Sigma Honors Society .2013-P.
Professional Certifications: __ R.G.U.S. Home Care Aid Certification. /. CPR/BLS/First Aid ./. Acute Stroke Training Cert..
Other Activities/Accomplisments: __. R.G.U.S. Home Care Agency training Courses ./. OT Seminars ./. RIC Research Observation OT&biomech. engineer w/ stroke arm functioning (15 hrs). Jan-March 2015.
Publucations, Presentations, Posters: ----
Research Experience: ----

*** L4C mentioned in leadership/extracurricular/tutoring (is this ok??) ***.

Applying: Rush, Midwestern IL, UIC, UW Milwaukee, Concordia UW, Washington University in St. Louis, UW Madison, IU Indianapolis, Huntington IN, U Minnesota, St. Catherines MN, and a few others depending
Accepted: N/A

Rejected: N/A
Interviews: N/A
Waitlist: N/A
Attending: N/A

I would pick one section for the tutoring, unless you held a position other than tutor (that would go under leadership). I would probably only list tutoring under the tutoring section. At least, thats what I did when I filled out my OTCAS. Even if things could go under multiple sections, I picked only one.

Congrats on all your hard work, your stats look phenomenal :) I noticed you were applying to 11 schools "and a few others" - just a heads up, if all those schools are listed with OTCAS, that'll start out fees at $575 and then each school may have supplemental fees in addition. UIC-$60 UW Madison $56, Huntington $50, U Minn $30 from a quick look adds up to $771. And then there's all the schools that want your GRE scores directly from ETS. Assuming you use the 4 free recipients on test day, that's $27 x 7 = $189 if you leave the total applied schools at 11. So, minimum $960! I was so shocked by how expensive this whole process was. Luckily, I saved money from fin. aid during undergrad to cover application expenses when I graduated. I hope this heads up helps! You truly deserve to go to any school you have your heart set on after all your dedication, good luck!!

I agree as well. Your stats look great! I'm sure if you apply to no more than five schools you should be good. I also thought about applying to 15 schools before, but people were telling me that I shouldn't because my stats were good. But yours are way better so I'm sure you'll get in with a doubt! Good luck!

University of California, Santa Barbara
Major
- Political Science
GPA- 2.99
Prereq GPA- 3.4-3.6 depending on school
GRE- 153 V, 151 Q, 4.0 Writing
Application verified- 10/31/14
OT shadowing- Inpatient (NICU, PICU), Outpatient (Hands, Stroke, Pediatrics)
Volunteer experience- 140+
References- Two from OTs where I volunteered, one from teaching assistant, one from manager
Applied to- Tufts, VCU, SJSU, St Augustine, UW-Madison
Accepted-
Interviews-
Rejected- UW-Madison, Tufts, VCU
Hey I applied to VCU as well. How did they inform you that you were rejected? I haven't heard anything at all.

University: George Mason University
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE: Q155 V153 A 4.0

Extra-Curric: Volunteer firefighter, worked with special needs girl and played a bunch of sports.

Volunteer: 32 hours at Walter Reed working inpatient and outpatient. 28 hours at a children's clinic

Applied: VCU, USC, University of Florida, Mary Baldwin, Long Island University - Brooklyn, University of the Sciences, Towson University

Interview: Mary Baldwin (1/16)

Acceptances: Mary Baldwin (1/30)

Waitlisted: VCU

Rejections: None yet

Hey just curious as to when you found out you were wait listed for VCU? Did they send you an email?

No, they didn't. I grew impatient the past few weeks so I decided to email them and ask them about the status of my application. A couple of applicants have sort of been left hanging, I say you contact them as soon as possible if you haven't heard anything yet.

Hey I applied to VCU as well. How did they inform you that you were rejected? I haven't heard anything at all.

Hello. No they didn't email me. I contacted them regarding the status of my application and they let me know that I didn't make the first cut (top 150) of the application process. I agree with Fbomb10 and recommend you contact them! Best of luck! They respond quickly to their emails and are very polite and courteous.

University: College of St. Benedict/St. John's University
Major: Biology with a psychology minor
Overall GPA: 3.94
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155 quantitative, 157 verbal, 5.5 writing

Extra-Curric: Optimist Club treasurer, intramural athletics, 5C Club, Allied Health Club, teaching assistant for anatomy, teaching assistant for developmental biology, business-related internship, nanny for 2 children, Up til Dawn, KidStop volunteer, research assistant for psychology

Volunteer: 25 hours in pediatrics, 25 hours in geriatrics, 10 hours in a hospital setting; 500+ work with brain-injured adults, 2 summers with the Special Olympics, 20 hours with United Cerebral Palsy; I'm also starting as a PCA for several adults with autism in a few weeks

Acceptances: U of Southern California, Creighton University

Rejections: None yet

Interviews: Creighton University

Applied to Creighton, USC, UW Seattle, U of Minnesota Rochester and Twin Cites, and St. Catherine University

When did you hear back from Creighton/when was your interview?

Thanks, your comment made my day:) and I think you're right, I might rethink how many I apply to at least before hearing back from a few first. I'd rather save some money for the actually program haha

Last edited:
Major: Clinical Psychology
Minor: Religion
Overall GPA: 3.68 manga cum laude
GRE: 165 verbal, 162 math, 4.5 analytical writing

Observation: 350+ Hours in adult inpatient psychiatric unit (actively ran groups and created individualized sensory based calming toolsKits with patients), 10 hours of individual sessions of pediatric school OT - continued working individually with clients to practice skills learned in session for additional 50 hours, 6 hours in OT oriented trainings

LOR: extremely positive letters from 1 OT, 1 professor (senior thesis adviser), 2 supervisors

Work experiences: 10 months clinical intern at adult psychiatric inpatient unit; 14 months in class mental health counselor in non-public school for kids 7-18 with severe emotional and behavioral disturbance; 5 months case manager of multiple adolescent psychiatric crisis stabilization programs and non public schools

Research experiences: 1 year Health Quality of Life Lab focusing on emotional communication for individuals with facial paralysis (PI is an OT), 1 year ADHD and computerized attention training for adolescents lab, 1.5 years in neuroscience lab focusing on fear memory consolidation in mice (3rd author in publication), 1.5 years in PTSD lab focusing on genetic v. Environmental origins of cognitive differences in war veterans (high honors on senior thesis)

Volunteer experiences: honestly, I was always at my research lab or internships so I haven't had time to invest in volunteering. I helped out the Humane Society a few times...

Extras: 2 years president and 1 year treasurer of college belly dance club, 6 months study abroad in Hong Kong, CPR/Fist aid certified, black belt martial artist, member of meditation society, yoga practitioner, cook, and crochet-er

Applied to: SJSU, Tufts, BU, Pacific University of Oregon, UW Seattle
Interviews: Pacific (invited 1/16, interviewed 2/7)
Acceptances: Pacifc (2/13 via phone), BU (2/18 via email), Tufts (2/20 via admissions website)
Rejections: NA

I'm super excited to finally begin hearing back from schools and can actually put up something useful on here!!! This site has been very helpful throughout my applications so please feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck everyone! :)

Hello! I was wondering if you've heard back from SJSU?

I was there! not sure if we met! how did you feel about your interview? can I ask about your stats?

This forum has been so helpful to me. I'm so glad I can finally contribute some info and hopefully provide some encouragement to those with low GPAs like me.

Cum. GPA: 3.15 (yup, THAT low)
GRE: V-159, Q-159, AWA-4.5
Volunteer: 175 hours outpatient rehab, 24 hours sub-acute/snf

Applied: CSUDH, LLU, USC
Interviews: CSUDH, LLU
Waitlist: CSUDH, LLU
Accepted: USC
Rejected: n/a

I was really worried about my low undergrad/cumulative GPA but I am a non-traditional student in that I graduated almost 10 years ago and have been working full time for the last 15 years. I think what really helped me were my LORs and my personal statement. It was a really crappy feeling having such a low undergrad gpa and not being able to do anything about it, but I worked my butt off to ace my prereq classes, get decent gre scores, and I spent a LOT of time on my personal statement. I am so grateful that all the hard work finally paid off :)

Reactions: 10 users
Hello! I was wondering if you've heard back from SJSU?

I haven't heard from them yet. I emailed the department about a week ago and Gigi replied that they are still processing applications and we should hear back from them soon. She also said that 98% of the next class has already been determined. So, my best hope is to be put on the wait list at this point.

School: University of California Santa Barbara
Overall GPA: 2.99
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.7
GRE: 156V 155 Q 4.5 AWA
OTCAS verified November 4th

Observation: Over 550 hours in inpatient (hospital), outpatient (hospital), pediatrics

Volunteer: Various hours in Special Olympics, Alzheimers Association, several hospitals.

Applied to: San Jose State, Samuel Merritt, Dominican

Acceptances:
San Jose State (attending)

Interviews: Samuel Merritt, Dominican

Rejections: n/a

San Jose State was definitely my first choice, ridiculously glad I don't have to pay private tuition. Good luck everyone!

Congrats @sambam91! Did they say anything to you about your 2.99 GPA? Or did you have a better last 60 GPA? Your other stats look great! Did you decline you Dominican interview? And, did you apply right after graduating from UCSB or did you spend a year strengthening your application?

Last edited:
University of California, Santa Barbara
Major
- Political Science
GPA- 2.99
Prereq GPA- 3.4-3.6 depending on school
GRE- 153 V, 151 Q, 4.0 Writing
Application verified- 10/31/14
OT shadowing- Inpatient (NICU, PICU), Outpatient (Hands, Stroke, Pediatrics)
Volunteer experience- 140+
References- Two from OTs where I volunteered, one from teaching assistant, one from manager
Applied to- Tufts, VCU, SJSU, St Augustine, UW-Madison
Accepted-
Interviews-
Rejected- UW-Madison, Tufts, VCU
I also applied to UW-Madison, but haven't heard anything yet.. When did they contact you?

School: University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.32
Prerequisite GPA: ~3.37
GRE: 148V 154Q 4.0A
OTCAS Verified: 11/18/14

Observation:
25 hours pediatric outpatient clinic, 25 hours geriatric

Work experience: 1500 hours as pharmacy technician, summer counselor at YMCA

Applied:
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities and Rochester, St. Catherine University, University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, St. Scholastica, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Rush University

Acceptances: St. Scholastica (accepted off waitlist!!! 4/7)

Interviews:
N/A

Waitlist: St. Scholastica (2/6)

Rejections:
Rush (1/30), UW-L (2/23) , St. Catherine (3/4), UW-Madison (3/6)

Last edited:
School: University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.32
Prerequisite GPA: ~3.37
GRE: 148V 154Q 4.0A
OTCAS Verified: 11/18/14

Observation:
25 hours pediatric outpatient clinic, 25 hours geriatric

Applied:
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities and Rochester, St. Catherine University, University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, St. Scholastica, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Rush University

Acceptances: N/A

Interviews:
N/A

Waitlist: St. Scholastica (2/6)

Rejections:
Rush (1/30), UW-L (2/23) , St. Catherine (3/4)

Did St. Catherine contact you via email? I applied to them too and haven't heard back yet.

I've found this forum helpful so I thought I'd finally post just in case it can help someone else!

Undergraduate university:
Western Washington University
Majors: double major- B.S. in psychology, and B.S. in kinesiology with a pre-healthcare professions specialization
Overall GPA: 3.92
Pre-req GPA: I think 3.7ish
GRE scores: V162 (89th percentile), Q153 (52nd percentile), AW4.5 (80th percentile)
OTCAS verified: 11/24/14
---------
OT Observation hours: 74 hospital/rehabilitation, 280 pediatric private practice with multiple therapists
Other relevant volunteer/work experiences: volunteered 50 hrs and then worked for a recreation center for teens and adults with developmental disabilities, 67 hrs volunteering with seniors in a hospital setting (orienting them, assisting them, etc), 104 hrs volunteering in an emergency room, 40 hrs volunteering in a state residential habilitation facility for individuals with disabilities of all kind with moderate to severe impairments in functioning, 20 hrs at a different emergency room, nannying experience
Research experience: 2 psychology studies at WWU that I designed and completed from beginning to end (~120 hrs)
---------
Certifications: Healthcare Provider CPR and AED, NAC certified for 3 yrs, NIH Protecting Human Research Participants certification

Applied to: U of Washington, U of Puget Sound, Eastern Washington U, Pacific U (doesn't use OTCAS, applied 12/5/14), Colorado State U, Boston U

Interviews: Pacific (2/7), EWU (3/7)

Acceptances: UPS (via phone 2/13), Boston U (via email 2/19), University of Washington (via email 3/12), Eastern Washington University (via email 3/20), Pacific University (via phone 3/20), Colorado State (via mail 3/22)

Attending: University of Washington

Other people's posts have been really helpful to me so I hope this helps someone out there and feel free to ask me any questions! :)

Last edited:
University: ETSU
Major: Exercise Science / Physical Education Minor: Art
Overall GPA: 3.107 Last 60: 3.418
Pre-Req GPA: 3.272 (Oh A&P...)
GRE: V 150 Q 145 W 4.0

Extra-Curric: Vice President Exercise Science Club, Observation 515 hrs, over 1400 clinical hours Chiropractic, and OT Tech 153 hours and counting! Also, loads of experience creatively/artistically(career, hobby, and awarded).

30, non-traditional career changer from Graphic Design (3 yrs), to Chiropractic Therapist Assistant (2 yrs), to OT hopeful. Always had 2-3 jobs while in school and carried 18-20 hours.

Volunteer: Relay for life 3 years (w/awards 3yr. and team officer 1 yr.), Special Olympics 2013, Bake Sales/Jason's Deli's fundraiser for American Cancer Society

Applied: Milligan 6/14
Interview: Milligan 1/16/15 email, 2/27/15 interview day
Update:
Accepted: Milligan!! 3/6/15 So excited!! :soexcited::biglove:

Thought maybe this would help for any COTA's that are trying to go from COTA to OTR.

University: Allegany College of Maryland- Associate's in OTA
Major: Occupational Therapy Assistant
Overall GPA: 3.96
GRE: Verbal- 148, Quantitative- 150, Writing- 4

Extra-Curric:
Work as a COTA, CPR/first aid certified, e-stim/ultrasound certified, several continuing ed classes in pediatrics

Volunteer/Work:
Graduated from OTA program and have been a COTA for 2 years in nursing homes and pediatrics. Several internships/volunteer hours with OTA's to get Associates. 40 hours of 'official' volunteer hours with an OT in inpatient and pediatrics, but I'm with them everyday.

Applied: Shenandoah
Acceptances: Shenandoah (Leesburg Campus)- 1/19/15
Interviews: No interview for Shenandoah was requested

Inspiring words for you nontraditional students in your 30s looking into OT..

University: University of the Sciences
Major: Psychology BS ('06)/Health Psych MS ('09)
Overall GPA: 3.31
Last 160 Credits: 3.67 (Yeah, Freshman year was THAT bad...)
OTCAS Verified: 2/9/15
LoR: 2 OTs, 2 Work (Boss/Supervisor), 1 College Advisor (Thesis Supervisor)
MAT: 90th %ile

Extra-Curric:
Various Psych. organizations (International Neuropsych, Phila Neuropsych, Eastern Psych. Assoc, etc), Psy-Chi Honors Society USP Chapter (Member/Chapter Treasurer), TA for Psych 101 & Special Topics: Dementia courses.

Research Experience:
Authorship/Co-Authorship on 8 neuropsych. posters presented at scholarly events and meetings, senior thesis on eliciting communication disturbances in healthy normal controls with executive load, partial work on clock drawing test in a cross cultural setting using a novel scoring model to examine executive dysfunction.

Volunteer/Work:
96 Hours Volunteer Service with Good Shepherd Penn Partners PIRM (General OT) as part of the Hospital of University of Pennsylvania College Intern Program, 70+ hours (and growing) @ GSPP as a Therapy Aide for OTs & PTs in the Brain Injury Recovery Center. 8 years + 1 Year Internship @ Penn Memory Center working as a Clinical Research Coordinator/Neuropsychological Test Admin.

Applied: Alvernia University, Thomas Jefferson University, Salus University, Temple University
Acceptances: Alvernia University (Attending)
Rejections: Temple University (OTCAS verified a week later than cutoff)
Waitlisted: Salus University
Interviews: Thomas Jefferson University (4/20) No interview for Alvernia was requested

Have a lot of experience (read: I'm old) but was nervous about my crippling freshman year as well as my extremely late OTCAS verification.

Last edited:
University: ETSU
Major: Exercise Science / Physical Education Minor: Art
Overall GPA: 3.107 Last 60: 3.418
Pre-Req GPA: 3.272 (Oh A&P...)
GRE: V 150 Q 145 W 4.0

Extra-Curric: Vice President Exercise Science Club, Observation 515 hrs, over 1400 clinical hours Chiropractic, and OT Tech 153 hours and counting! Also, loads of experience creatively/artistically(career, hobby, and awarded).

30, non-traditional career changer from Graphic Design (3 yrs), to Chiropractic Therapist Assistant (2 yrs), to OT hopeful. Always had 2-3 jobs while in school and carried 18-20 hours.

Volunteer: Relay for life 3 years (w/awards 3yr. and team officer 1 yr.), Special Olympics 2013, Bake Sales/Jason's Deli's fundraiser for American Cancer Society

Applied: Milligan 6/14
Interview: Milligan 1/16/15 email, 2/27/15 interview day
Update:
Accepted: Milligan!! 3/6/15 So excited!! :soexcited::biglove:

I was waitlisted. realllly reeeaaaly hoping I get in. The program seems so oriented towards practice rather than research and plus I'm only a little short of a full ride. *Sigh* :xf:

Graduated: University of Pittsburgh in 2012
Major: Double Major in Psychology and Anthropology (concentration in Physical Anthropology)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.54
*Also went back to school to take Anatomy and Physiology I and II at Widener University in 2014, earned 3.7
GRE: Verbal Reasoning: 154; Quantitative: 151; AW: 4.5
OTCAS submitted 11/6, verified 11/17

OT Observation:
-40 hours in an outpatient pediatric setting
-40 hours in an acute care hospital that also had outpatient (+an additional 40 hours acting as a Rehab Department Volunteer)

Other Activities:
-Member of Emerging Leaders, Psi Chi (Psych Honors Society), Pitt Ski and Snowboard Club, and Animal Lovers Club
-Internship at the Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Center for one semester
-Studied abroad in Rome last summer of college
-Dean’s List every semester except the first
-Held various customer service positions through college and after
-3000 hours volunteering with a medical auditing company
-40 hours observing with a physical therapist in an outpatient setting

Applied: Thomas Jefferson, Temple
Waitlisted: Thomas Jefferson 2/5 (interview 1/23), Temple 1/22 (phone interview 3/20)
Accepted: Temple 3/24 :claps:

Undergraduate University: Georgia Southwestern State University
Major: Exercise Science and Wellness
Overall GPA: 3.79 at time of application, 3.82 current.
Math/Science GPA: 3.88 at time of application, 3.92 current
GRE: 148 quantitative; 157 verbal; 3.5 writing

Extra-Curricular: volunteer youth leader, active in foreign missions (big talking point during my interview), marathon runner

Volunteer: Geriatrics home health: 108 hours, geriatrics sub-acute: 125 hours, pediatrics sensory integration: 117 hours.

Schools Applied For: Georgia Regents University

Acceptances: Georgia Regents University

*I applied to GRU as a sophomore with 69 completed hours. At the time of my interview (fall of 2014), I was currently taking 3 prerequisite courses (Physics I, Kinesiology, and World Religions). I was accepted to the program the following spring (2015) contingent upon my successful completion of this semester! I get to completely skip my senior year of undergraduate! :soexcited:

Congrats on your acceptance! Just out of curosity will you not be graduating from undegrad... Or is the GRU program you got into a BS/MS program?

Undergraduate University: Georgia Southwestern State University
Major: Exercise Science and Wellness
Overall GPA: 3.79 at time of application, 3.82 current.
Math/Science GPA: 3.88 at time of application, 3.92 current
GRE: 148 quantitative; 157 verbal; 3.5 writing

Extra-Curricular: volunteer youth leader, active in foreign missions (big talking point during my interview), marathon runner

Volunteer: Geriatrics home health: 108 hours, geriatrics sub-acute: 125 hours, pediatrics sensory integration: 117 hours.

Schools Applied For: Georgia Regents University

Acceptances: Georgia Regents University

*I applied to GRU as a sophomore with 69 completed hours. At the time of my interview (fall of 2014), I was currently taking 3 prerequisite courses (Physics I, Kinesiology, and World Religions). I was accepted to the program the following spring (2015) contingent upon my successful completion of this semester! I get to completely skip my senior year of undergraduate! :soexcited:

Congrats on your acceptance! Just out of curosity will you not be graduating from undegrad... Or is the GRU program you got into a BS/MS program?

I will not graduate with any bachelors degree. I was a little up in the air about whether or not I wanted to stick around and finish my degree since I will be so close to it, but I know a few OTs who have done the early entry and have had no regrets about not having a bachelors down the road so I'm jumping on the opportunity!

University: University of Southern California
Major: Human Biology and Sports Media Studies
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75
GRE: 165 Q, 165 V, 4.0 A

Applied: University of Washington, University of Southern California, Washington University in St. Louis, New York University, Columbia, and Boston University

Acceptances: University of Washington, Boston University

Waitlisted: University of Southern California, Boston University, and Columbia

Rejections: None

Last edited: