GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
**UPDATE**

University: University of San Francisco
Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Child and Youth Studies
Overall GPA: 3.45
Pre-req GPA: 3.4-3.6
GRE: Verbal 143 (probably the most nervous about this score), Quantitative 148, Writing 4.5

Past Experience: Intern for an occupational therapist and did exercises with children that the OT gave me

OT hours: 140 hours in the pediatric clinic, 5 hours at a hippotherapy facility, 40 hours at a hospital shadowing an OT

Applied: Midwestern University (Glendale and Downers Grove), Thomas Jefferson University, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), University of Chicago, Utica College, Temple, Columbia, NYU, University of Wisconsin-Milkwakee, USC, Springfield, Howard, Stanbridge

Interviews:
Wait listed: NYU (2/28)
Acceptances:
Rejections: Temple (2/1), University of Chicago (1/15), Utica (1/15), Stanbridge (2/10), Thomas Jefferson (3/3/17)
Still waiting: everyone else

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

University:
University of Virginia
Major: Cognitive Science
Overall GPA: 3.53 according to OTCAS (3.3 from 2.5 years at UVA, transferred from George Mason Univ. with a 3.9, and took a couple courses at community college with a 4.0)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: 148 v, 152 Q, 4.0 AW

Applied to: MGH Institute, Sacred Heart University, Springfield College, Thomas Jefferson University, University of New England, Boston University, Tufts University, Columbia University, Worcester State University

Acceptances: University of New England (12/16)

Rejections: Thomas Jefferson University (1/30), Tufts (2/27), MGH Institute (2/28)

Interviews: University of New England (11/11), MGH Institute (2/3)

I was also accepted past preliminary review for Springfield (2/10), but I had to pay an extra $50 to continue the app process, so I declined the offer.

Last edited:
how did you hear from Sacred Heart? I applied in October and I only received a confirmation email from them that they received my application and that they would be in touch. I NEVER heard anything after october. No interview request but also no rejection.. what was your process like?

That's interesting. They are done with interviews so you should have heard something. Last year I applied in December and was asked to interview in January. This year I applied in September and was emailed last week that I did not get asked for an interview and was denied from the program.

Congrats! Did you take yourself off the waitlist at Rush? Did they happen to tell you where you were on the waitlist?
They told us at the interview that because they look at the class as a whole and then at each individual person on the waitlist, they will not give you a number. (Ie. they might take #5 on the waitlist over #1 because #5 is a better fit with their cohort). I notified them when I received the acceptance to LIU a few weeks ago to take me off as I want to stay local.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Idaho State? I've heard from all the schools I applied to except them! I know their PT department is going through faculty changes and their decisions have been delayed, but unsure if that effects the MOT program.

I haven't heard from VCU either. I checked these threads and saw someone last year said they got accepted as late as March 16th. Seems so late when the application was due December 1st. Where else did you apply? Did you get accepted?

oh wow i would love for that to happen to me! I am so anxious not knowing. Do they put people on a wait list without notifying them? I am assuming they are still keeping my app open since i have not got a rejection letter. I just didn't know how that process works. I agree! I applied to Emory & Henry, Shenandoah, Jefferson College, and Murphy Deming and I got wait listed at the first two on my list. I am hoping to get off the list somewhere or hear back from Murphy Deming or VCU!

Has anyone heard from Idaho State? I've heard from all the schools I applied to except them! I know their PT department is going through faculty changes and their decisions have been delayed, but unsure if that effects the MOT program.
I've been waiting on them as well, but I read in another thread that they've sent out their first round of letters already.

oh wow i would love for that to happen to me! I am so anxious not knowing. Do they put people on a wait list without notifying them? I am assuming they are still keeping my app open since i have not got a rejection letter. I just didn't know how that process works. I agree! I applied to Emory & Henry, Shenandoah, Jefferson College, and Murphy Deming and I got wait listed at the first two on my list. I am hoping to get off the list somewhere or hear back from Murphy Deming or VCU!
I am anxious too. I only applied to 3 schools so I am really hoping to be accepted to at least two >.< I'm not sure. I had a friend who went to VCU for OT and she recently graduated. I tried to gauge her on the process but she applied early admissions so she didn't have to interview and got accepted pretty early. I wish there was a way to check your application status. The more time that goes on the more anxious I get. Hopefully we hear back from VCU soon. Good luck!

I've been waiting on them as well, but I read in another thread that they've sent out their first round of letters already.

Ugh! Okay.. good to know I'm not the only one who has been getting radio silence from them. It's so stressful with other schools deposits due, not knowing.

Ugh! Okay.. good to know I'm not the only one who has been getting radio silence from them. It's so stressful with other schools deposits due, not knowing.
Right? I'm having the same problem. I checked their web page a while ago and it sounds like they have a very long and drawn out process on getting back to people. But it sounds like they send out rejection letters pretty quickly if they decide you aren't going to make the cut, so at least we might still have a chance. Are you from Idaho or out of state?

Right? I'm having the same problem. I checked their web page a while ago and it sounds like they have a very long and drawn out process on getting back to people. But it sounds like they send out rejection letters pretty quickly if they decide you aren't going to make the cut, so at least we might still have a chance. Are you from Idaho or out of state?
That's kind of what I was thinking too. It's good we haven't received a rejection letter yet haha, still in the running I guess.. and I'm from Idaho! What about you?

University: Loyola University Chicago
Major: Social Work
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE: 151V, 157Q, 4.5AW

Extra-Curricular:
  • Social Work Intern- Empowering Counseling Program
  • Social Services Intern- Misercordia
  • Resident Assistant- 2 years

Volunteer: RIC (130 hours in in-patient and out-patient, pets & adults)

Acceptances: University of Puget Sound

Rejections: UIC

Still Waiting to Hear: Elmhurst College, University of Washington Seattle, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Interviews: Elmhurst College (1/17)

Last edited:
I am anxious too. I only applied to 3 schools so I am really hoping to be accepted to at least two >.< I'm not sure. I had a friend who went to VCU for OT and she recently graduated. I tried to gauge her on the process but she applied early admissions so she didn't have to interview and got accepted pretty early. I wish there was a way to check your application status. The more time that goes on the more anxious I get. Hopefully we hear back from VCU soon. Good luck!

Yeah I know someone in the first otd class and she was accepted in January I believe so I am not sure! Yeah hopefully it will be soon! Thanks and good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but UW-Milwaukee has an additional statement of purpose when you apply to their grad school. Does anyone know if we submit the same one from OTCAS or an additional statement? Also, it does not give requirements for length...
Since it has slightly different prompts, I'm going to write a new statement, probably about 1 - 1.5 pages. I just got accepted yesterday so I have only just started with the grad school application.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. It's good we haven't received a rejection letter yet haha, still in the running I guess.. and I'm from Idaho! What about you?
I'm from Iowa and when I applied I didn't realize they accept mostly in state candidates...oops. I hope everything works out for you though!

**UPDATE

University: University of Washington - Seattle
Major: Speech and Hearing Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.55
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: 152 V, 144 Q (sigh), 4.0 AW

Volunteer: 2 service trips to rural Philippines, service trip to Mexico with migrant worker families, various tutoring, Adult day health activities assistant, arts and crafts leader for campers with physical disabilities (5 years), hospice patient care volunteer

Observations: 20 pediatrics, 30 hand therapy, 33 outpatient, 40 acute inpatient, 30 geriatrics, 200+ work and industry

Applied: A.T. Still, Midwestern AZ, University of Washington, St. Catherine

Acceptances: A.T. Still (12/14), St. Catherine (3/2)

Rejections:

Interviews: A.T. Still (12/9), Midwestern AZ (declined)

still waiting on UW Seattle!

Chiming in now that I've officially heard back from all the programs I applied to.

Undergrad GPA: 3.85 (Music major, graduated in 2004 so I retook all prerequisites starting in 2014)
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0 (community college)
GRE: 160v, 157q, 5.0aw (took in Aug 2016)
Observation hours: 150 in four settings (outpatient, inpatient, peds clinic, home health)
Extracurriculars: none, but have work experience as a career changer and "life" experience as the mom of a son with medical issues
LOR: 1 professor, 2 OTs, 1 former boss
OTCAS verified: 10/1/16

Accepted: Chatham (via email 12/6), Rush (via email 12/20), UIC (via email 1/10), EDIT: accepted off the wait list at D'Youville in early May via phone call
Wait listed: D'Youville (via email 2/14)
Rejected: Elmhurst (via email 3/2)

I had interviews with Chatham, Rush and Elmhurst (UIC and D'Youville do not conduct interviews).

I'll be attending UIC which I'm thrilled about! And I'll freely admit that when I started this process I figured Rush and UIC would be the toughest to get in to, so I'm a bit surprised that I was accepted to both so early and then rejected from Elmhurst (since the program's not yet accredited and therefore - I thought - less competitive). Guess it just goes to show that every school looks at candidates a bit differently! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'm from Iowa and when I applied I didn't realize they accept mostly in state candidates...oops. I hope everything works out for you though!
Oh no way? Yeah I heard they do that, which is nice for me but annoying for everyone else.
Thank you! You too!!

Hey, when did you hear from Emory & Henry and when did you interview?

I heard from Emory and Henry in the middle of November, I interviewed January 28th, and found out i got wait listed on February 15th

I am waiting to hear from Emory and Henry and I applied way back in November? Is anyone else still waiting for a response?

I am waiting to hear from Emory and Henry and I applied way back in November? Is anyone else still waiting for a response?

They're still conducting interviews and I received an email saying I was put on the waitlist. I'm sure you'll hear from them.

*Final Update

University: East Carolina
Major: Special Education
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-req (still in the process of some) 3.8
GRE: Verbal-148 Quantitative-151 Writing-4.0

Experience: Second Year Special Education Teacher, ECU Campus Ambassador, Taught swim lessons for Children with Autism

OT hours: 40 hours at a pediatric clinic

Applied: AT Still, East Carolina, Winston Salem, Sacred Heart, West Coast University, NYU, Hofstra, Lenoir-Rhyne

Interviews: Hofstra

Acceptances: Hofstra, Lenoir-Rhyne

Waitlisted: NYU

Rejections: AT Still, East Carolina, Sacred Heart, Winston Salem

I decided that if I hear back from West Coast, I will decline due to expenses.

UPDATE!!!
Just got accepted into UIC:biglove:
I am going to release my spot at WashU sometime this week so if you are on the waitlist there is a spot opening up!

University: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major: Human Development and Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.36
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 152 Verbal, 157 Quantitative, 3.0 Writing

Extra-Curric: Worked in a daycare for 3+ years, summer camp counselor, Ambassador in my major, Mentor for high school students, Dean's List, Teaching Assistant,

Volunteer: 50+ Hours Observations in Pediatric Outpatient and Acute inpatient , 160 hours administering Bayley III Screening, Volunteer at several different locations (hospital, nursery, etc.)

Applied: UIC, Midwestern, ATSU, U Florida, Wash U, South Alabama, Texas- El Paso, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Elmhurst College

Application Verified by OTCAS: October 12, 2016

Acceptances: WashU, UIC

Rejections:UTEP

Interviews: ATSU (declined), South Alabama (declined), Elmhurst College (declined)

Waiting: Midwestern, U Florida, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Attending: UIC

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE!!!
Just got accepted into UIC:biglove:
I am going to release my spot at WashU sometime this week so if you are on the waitlist there is a spot opening up!

University: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major: Human Development and Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.36
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 152 Verbal, 157 Quantitative, 3.0 Writing

Extra-Curric: Worked in a daycare for 3+ years, summer camp counselor, Ambassador in my major, Mentor for high school students, Dean's List, Teaching Assistant,

Volunteer: 50+ Hours Observations in Pediatric Outpatient and Acute inpatient , 160 hours administering Bayley III Screening, Volunteer at several different locations (hospital, nursery, etc.)

Applied: UIC, Midwestern, ATSU, U Florida, Wash U, South Alabama, Texas- El Paso, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Elmhurst College

Application Verified by OTCAS: October 12, 2016

Acceptances: WashU, UIC

Rejections:UTEP

Interviews: ATSU (declined), South Alabama (declined), Elmhurst College (declined)

Waiting: Midwestern, U Florida, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Attending: UIC

Hooray and congratulations!!! We're going to be classmates!

Cum: 3.82
Prerq: 4.0
GRE: 156 V, 150 Q, 3.5 AW
Hours 300

Applied: USC
Accepted: USC

Reactions: 1 user
University: Appalachian State University, Class of 2017
Major: Exercise Science, Pre-Professional. Minors in Psychology and Medical Humanities
Overall GPA: 3.92
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.88
GRE: V: 158, Q: 155, W: 5.5

Extra-Curric: I worked during school as an assistant teacher at a daycare, very involved member of sorority, campus pre-health ambassador/peer-advisor, YMCA summer camp counselor, counselor at Duke Tip, vice president of 2 honor societies on campus.

Shadowing: 160+ hours in a variety of settings, exposed to different populations and areas of OT.

Volunteer: Volunteered helping with a boxing class for participants with Parkinson's disease, taught an exercise class to seniors at a retirement community, mentor to girl scouts.

Acceptances: UNC Chapel Hill (will attend in August!!), East Carolina University, MUSC, Lenoir-Rhyne

Rejections: None

Interviews: UNC Chapel Hill, ECU

University: Rutgers University
Major: Exercise Science: Applied Kinesiology
GPA: 3.6

Acceptances: USciences, Kean, NYU, Stony Brook
Waitlisted: Stockton
Reject: none
Waiting to hear from: Columbia, Seton Hall
Interviews: Stony Brook, Kean, Sacred Heart, Hofsta, LIU Brooklyn

Major: biology/sociology
GPA: 3.53
Prereq GPA: 3.97 ish
GRE: 157 V, 158 Q, 5.0 AWA
Hours: ~50 at a peds center, ~60 at a hand therapy clinic, and worked at an afterschool enrichment program for a year

Applied: USC
Accepted: USC

Hey all! been following for a while but I haven't heard any acceptances so I never felt the need to post. Still have heard no acceptances but I am hoping my stats validates some others experiencing a similar situation.

Major: Human service studies
Minors: psych and public health
GPA: 3.48
pre-req GPA: don't know how people find this and am confused by it..... Wanna say its around a 3.2
GRE: 142 Q (learning disability), 157 V 3.5 W
Volunteer/shadowing: Hand therapy (40), pediatric between two different settings (40), Shadowed occupational therapy while abroad in India at neuro, peds, ortho, and mental health (30). Staring geriatric next week. Currently I live and work in an intentional community with adults with I/DD and I have: interned at a school for students with multiple and severe disabilities, interned at Voc Rehab, volunteered as an SLP intern, acted as a mentor at an elementary school.

Applied: Towson, Colorado state, Temple, U of the sciences, thomas jefferson, University of New England, Med U of South Carolina, East Carolina, Lenoir Rhyne, and Chatham.
Interviews: UNE
Waitlist: UNE and Lenoir Rhyne
Rejected: Towson, USci, Thomas jeff, MUSC, ECU, Chatham
Waiting to hear from: howard, temple and CSU

Want to offer a shoulder for all the others feeling confused and hurt by the process. This is my second year applying-- I had a missing transcript last year that I did not know about due to a study abroad program that was apparently through a school in Indiana... so it got messed up. Haha. I know it will be okay in the end, and if it means applying another year, getting more experience and re-taking the GRE so be it. Holding on hope to my waitlist spots and the schools I have yet to hear from!! But the hope is fading and it feels mighty bad.

Reactions: 2 users
University: Rutgers University
Major: Exercise Science: Applied Kinesiology
GPA: 3.6

Acceptances: USciences, Kean, NYU, Stony Brook
Waitlisted: Stockton
Reject: none
Waiting to hear from: Columbia, Seton Hall
Interviews: Stony Brook, Kean, Sacred Heart, Hofsta, LIU Brooklyn
That's awesome! I was also waitlisted from Stockton and I am still waiting to hear back from Seton Hall. Do you know where you will be attending?

Last edited:
Accepted to Howard University's program:), hoping to connect with other HU students.

Posted this in the other thread but I'll also put it here...

University: Hendrix College
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.8
Prereq GPA: 3.7

Acceptances: UW Milwaukee, MUSC, VCU, Rush, BU
Waitlisted: UPitt
Reject: UIC, CSU (incomplete application, oops)
Waiting to hear from: St. Kate's, UW Madison
Interviews: UNE (rejected it), Rush, BU

Posted this in the other thread but I'll also put it here...

University: Hendrix College
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.8
Prereq GPA: 3.7

Acceptances: UW Milwaukee, MUSC, VCU, Rush, BU
Waitlisted: UPitt
Reject: UIC, CSU (incomplete application, oops)
Waiting to hear from: St. Kate's, UW Madison
Interviews: UNE (rejected it), Rush, BU
When did CSU tell you about the incomplete app? And if you don't mind me asking, what was missing from your app? I think we are all a little nervous about the whole transcript thing.

Double Major: Chemistry and Economics
Overall GPA: 3.4 ( bad freshman year)
Sub GPA: 3.9
Pre-req GPA: 3.8-3.9
GRE: Verbal 156, Quantitative 156
Past Experience: 3000+ hours working with OTs in a variety of setting and with diverse populations
LOR: 1 OT, 1 Supervisor at Hospital and 1 Prof

Applied: NYU, Columbia, USC and Florida
Interviews:
Wait listed:
Acceptances: NYU, Florida
Rejections:

University: University of Florida
Major/Minor: B.A. Political Science (cum laude)
Upper Division (last 60 credits) GPA: 3.8
OTCAS GPA 3.7
Pre-req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 153 V 147 Q ( ugh) 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: 24 inpatient at a hospital ICU, 120 at an outpatient Rehabilitation/hand therapy clinic, 34 both inpatient/outpatient hospital (Inpatient dealt with post op, oncology etc), ~25 hours in a nursing facility (geriatrics), ~20 hours in a Rehabilitation hospital
220+ hours total

Volunteer: Homeless shelter, ICYE volunteer aborad in Costa Ria in a children's community center, Literacy council tutor, Food bank kitchens, Circle K Kiwanis, Greek philanthropies (Girl Scouts of America etc)
Work experience: OT Aide at Outpatient Rehab, OT/PT Rehab Technician, Literacy Citizenship Test Tutor, Intern at a US Congressional Office, Legal intern at a Law Firm, various other restaraunt jobs all throughout college
Other extracurriculars: Division III Cross Country/Track, KD Sorority Sister, Legal Honor Society Inductee, Triathlon team, College Dem political club, Political Phone bank sponser
Awards: Midwest All Conference Academic Team, Certificate of Congressional recognition, Dean's List and/or President's list at each college I attended, graduated with cum laude honors from UF

Schools Applied to:
Nova Southeastern University, Midwestern (Glendale AZ), Chatham U, University of Florida, East Carolina U, Phildelphia U, Tennessee State, Carroll University, Davenport U, Springfield College, Winston Salem State U, U Alabama Birmingham, U Central Arkansas, Milligan College, Towson U

Interviews: Milligan College (declined), Nova Southeastern (10/12) Midwestern U (Arizona) (1/21) Chatham U (11/19), U St. Augustine, Towson U (declined), Tenn State (Declined), U Alabama Birmingham (declined)
Acceptances: Nova Southeastern, Philadelphia U, U St. Augustine
Waitlists: Chatham U, Winston Salem State
Rejections: Eastern Carolina, University of Florida :(.:(:(. UF was my number one dream as a previous Gator alum. That rejection REALLY hit hard....oh well.:singing:
Attending:
Nova Southeastern.......o_O

OTCAS GPA 3.7
Observation Hours: 24 inpatient at a hospital ICU, 120 at an outpatient Rehabilitation/hand therapy clinic, 34 both inpatient/outpatient hospital (Inpatient dealt with post op, oncology etc), ~25 hours in a nursing facility (geriatrics), ~20 hours in a Rehabilitation hospital
220+ hours total

Volunteer: Homeless shelter, ICYE volunteer aborad in Costa Ria in a children's community center, Literacy council tutor, Food bank kitchens, Circle K Kiwanis, Greek philanthropies (Girl Scouts of America etc)
Work experience: OT Aide at Outpatient Rehab, OT/PT Rehab Technician, Literacy Citizenship Test Tutor, Intern at a US Congressional Office, Legal intern at a Law Firm, various other restaraunt jobs all throughout college
Other extracurriculars: Division III Cross Country/Track, KD Sorority Sister, Legal Honor Society Inductee, Triathlon team, College Dem political club, Political Phone bank sponser
Awards: Midwest All Conference Academic Team, Certificate of Congressional recognition, Dean's List and/or President's list at each college I attended, graduated with cum laude honors from UF

Schools Applied to:
Nova Southeastern University, Midwestern (Glendale AZ), Chatham U, University of Florida, East Carolina U, Phildelphia U, Tennessee State, Carroll University, Davenport U, Springfield College, Winston Salem State U, U Alabama Birmingham, U Central Arkansas, Milligan College, Towson U

Interviews: Milligan College (declined), Nova Southeastern (10/12) Midwestern U (Arizona) (1/21) Chatham U (11/19), U St. Augustine, Towson U (declined), Tenn State (Declined), U Alabama Birmingham (declined)
Rejections: Eastern Carolina, University of Florida :(.:(:(. UF was my number one dream as a previous Gator alum. That rejection REALLY hit hard....oh well.:singing:
Attending:

Deleted

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
FINAL UPDATE!
I've been waiting for the day that I finally get to post this. For those of you with less than amazing GPAs and not so pretty GREs, it's still possible! I got into my dream school with a solid variety of observation hours, lots of volunteering relevant to OT populations, great LORs, and being open to critique with my personal statement.

University: University of Washington - Seattle
Major: Speech and Hearing Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.55
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: 152 V, 144 Q (sigh), 4.0 AW

Volunteer: 2 service trips to rural Philippines, service trip to Mexico with migrant worker families, various tutoring, Adult day health activities assistant, arts and crafts leader for campers with physical disabilities (5 years), hospice patient care volunteer

Observations: 20 pediatrics, 30 hand therapy, 33 outpatient, 40 acute inpatient, 30 geriatrics, 200+ work and industry

Applied: A.T. Still, Midwestern AZ, University of Washington, St. Catherine

Acceptances: A.T. Still (12/14), St. Catherine (3/2), University of Washington (3/9)

Rejections: None!

Interviews: A.T. Still (12/9), Midwestern AZ (declined)

Attending: University of Washington!

OTCAS GPA 3.7
220+ hours total

Schools Applied to:

Attending:

If you don't mind me asking, have you informed the schools where you are waitlisted that you will not be attending? Thanks!

OTCAS GPA 3.7
220+ hours total

Schools Applied to:

Attending:
Have you told WSSU that you want to be off of their waitlist since you're attending Nova?

University: California State University, Sacramento
Major: BA in Music, Bio minor
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: V151, Q153, A4.0

Observation: 100 hours

Extra Curriculars: Church leadership, pianist/accompanist, Med Tech at assisted living facility, elementary school Paraeducator, Patient Transporter at a Hospital, Vice president of PrePT club, Cadaver Lab Assistant, ER volunteer

Applied: CSU Sacramento, University of Puget Sound, CSU Fresno

Accepted: CSU SACRAMENTO!!!
Anyone else get into Sac State for the Fall?!

I didn't know CSU Sac and CSU Fresno has MOT/OTD programs. I don't see them on the AOTA Accredited or Developing programs.

FINAL UPDATE.
University: Stony Brook University
Major: Health Science and Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.4 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.6 depending on school
GRE:
158 Verbal
153 Quantitative (previously 148)
5.0 Writing (previously 3.5)

2nd Year Applicant
Extra-Curric: Internship early intervention preschool, various positions in a national sorority including Executive board, Out of State student mentor, English Pals, Emerging Leaders, Various academic awards and a Merit scholarship

Volunteer: 20 Hospital NICU/PICU, 90 Early intervention preschool

Applying: Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, NYU, Downstate, LIU Brooklyn, Touro Bay Shore, Rush

Acceptances: LIU
Rejections: Stony Brook, Sacred Heart (reapplicants)
Waitlist: Rush, NYU
Interviews: LIU, Stony brook, Rush
Haven't heard back - Downstate, Touro Bay Shore

Attending: LIU Brooklyn :)

I received a sizable scholarship for LIU, so I have decided I will be attending there. It is an amazing program so I am very excited. My advice to those with not awesome GPAs, get your GRE scores up, get more hours and more settings! Write an AWESOME Personal Statement and go into interviews like you BELONG THERE. That is what I did, and it finally paid off.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I have a question, the LIU program is 122 credits @ $1201 per credit, right? Also, did you have to apply for the scholarship? I didn't see an entry level MSOT program on there website, is it considered transfer student? And if you don't mind, what percentage of the tuition did the scholarship cover? Because I didn't consider LIU because of the price. Thanks

Stats
University: UCLA
Major: Linguistics and Psychology, Minor: Disability Studies
Overall GPA: 3.52-3.6 (depending on which schools they took/quarter, semester)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.43-3.52

Extra-Curric: President of Best Buddies (group that works with individuals with IDD), Production manager of Shakespeare Company, Speaks 4 languages, work with Disability Studies department, Other employment, Special Education Internship - 160 hours, Registered Behavior Technician post-grad

Volunteer: Best Buddies, ~100 hours OT shadowing (primarily Peds, but some in-patient rehab).

Acceptances: USC, Brunel (London)

Rejections: Boston, UofW Seattle

Interviews: Boston, Essex (withdrawn), St. Augustine San Marcos (withdrawn)

Waiting: SJSU

I withdrew Essex and St. Augustine because I'll have to make a decision on USC before the date of the interview, and I'd rather go to USC or Brunel than either of them.

UPDATE:

University: Iowa State University

Major: Kinesiology pre – OT

Overall GPA: 3.30 but 3.09 according to OTCAS :(

Prereq GPA : 3.4 - 3.5

GRE: 148Q 149V 3.5W

Observation Hours: 20 hrs Hand Therapy, 20 hrs hospital inpatient care

Applied: EWU, Idaho State, CSU, Western New England, Wesly College, A.T. Still

Acceptances: Western New England :)

Rejections: EWU, A.T. Still

There's still hope out there for those with lower GPA's! I've been really discouraged during the application process because my stats haven't been on par with everyone else, but you WILL find the right school for you, and things will work out :)

I have been trying to find other information on Western New England? Do you know how many people have been accepted so far?

I have a question, the LIU program is 122 credits @ $1201 per credit, right? Also, did you have to apply for the scholarship? I didn't see an entry level MSOT program on there website, is it considered transfer student? And if you don't mind, what percentage of the tuition did the scholarship cover? Because I didn't consider LIU because of the price. Thanks

Hey! I don't have those numbers with me at the moment because Im on vacation but I'll call my dad and get that info for you. I didn't apply for the scholarship and it was 9,000.

Ok so I got in contact with my parents. Its a little unclear online how they bill it especially with summers being included in Year 1/2 and Summer 2 is half grad half undergrad. They asked us to go see the Financial aid office so I definitely will and ifI get information I will pass it along. So I made the math for the WORST case scenario, adding summers to my tuition and subtracting the scholarship by year.

Undergrad semester rate is currently $16,839
Year 1 Fall 17-Summer 18 = ~$50k. with scholar. $41K
Year 2 Fall 18-Spring 19 = ~ $50k with schoalr $41K
Summer 19 (2 undergrad credits at $1176/credit, not sure if scholar will cover) and 12 grad credits at 14K (can't find a flat rate but there might be one) = ~16k
Year 3 Fall 2019 (15) - Spring 2020 (13-17)= ~17.6 k + ~15k
Total worse case scenario, no bonds no grants, no extra scholarship or financial aid = ~$130k

FWIW I have heard that NYU tuition is more expensive than LIU and NYU is ~115k.
A friend that went to LIU ended up paying about 90k. So I'm really not sure.

As far as the program you can enter as a gradaute or a transfer without a degree, but you both start Year 1/2 as undergrad tuition which is nice and you get the BSOT. What drew me to the program were the faculty and the fact that they offer 4 LVI fieldworks, as well as their cadaver lab and that all the first years I talked to in February knew what they were talking about in regards to the field, I didn't get that at other schools.

Last edited: