GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone else on here who has applied to Worcester State University? if so, have you heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
*Update*

University:
University of Florida
Major/Minor: B.A. Political Science (cum laude)
Upper Division (last 60 credits) GPA: 3.8
OTCAS GPA 3.7
Pre-req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 153 V 147 Q ( ugh) 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: 24 inpatient at a hospital ICU, 120 at an outpatient Rehabilitation/hand therapy clinic, 34 both inpatient/outpatient hospital (Inpatient dealt with post op, oncology etc), ~25 hours in a nursing facility (geriatrics), ~20 hours in a Rehabilitation hospital
220+ hours total

Volunteer: Homeless shelter, ICYE volunteer aborad in Costa Ria in a children's community center, Literacy council tutor, Food bank kitchens, Circle K Kiwanis, Greek philanthropies (Girl Scouts of America etc)
Work experience: OT Aide at Outpatient Rehab, OT/PT Rehab Technician, Literacy Citizenship Test Tutor, Intern at a US Congressional Office, Legal intern at a Law Firm, various other restaraunt jobs all throughout college
Other extracurriculars: Division III Cross Country/Track, KD Sorority Sister, Legal Honor Society Inductee, Triathlon team, College Dem political club, Political Phone bank sponser
Awards: Midwest All Conference Academic Team, Certificate of Congressional recognition, Dean's List and/or President's list at each college I attended, graduated with cum laude honors from UF

Schools Applied to:
Nova Southeastern University, Midwestern (Glendale AZ), Chatham U, University of Florida, East Carolina U, Phildelphia U, Tennessee State, Carroll University, Davenport U, Springfield College, Winston Salem State U, U Alabama Birmingham, U Central Arkansas, Milligan College, Towson U

Interviews: Milligan College (declined), Nova Southeastern (10/12) Midwestern U (Arizona) (1/21) Chatham U (11/19), U St. Augustine, Towson U (declined), Tenn State (Declined), U Alabama Birmingham (declined)
Acceptances: Caroll University(today) :clap:Nova Southeastern, Philadelphia U, U St. Augustin
Waitlists: Chatham U (taken off) Winston Salem State (taken off)
Rejections: Eastern Carolina, University of Florida :( UF was my number one dream as a previous Gator alum. Oh well.
Attending: Nova Southeastern:)
Hi, Congrats on your acceptance to Nova! I'm just wondering, when did you hear back from U of St. Augustine? Also, was it for the Fall start or summer? Thanks!

University: Washington University in St. Louis (2014)
Major: Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies / American Culture Studies (double major) with a Studio Art minor
Undergraduate GPA: 3.1 (3.3+ when considering my post-bacc and baccalaureate credits together)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (almost entirely taken post-bacc at a community college)
GRE: 167 V / 155 Q / 4.5 AW

Extracurriculars: College radio executive board (2 years), participation in music-oriented student groups, published writing (sociology and music-oriented, with one notable piece in Truthout and Alternet)

Employment: part-time Rehabilitation Technician at a PT/OT outpatient clinic, as well as some assisting to a noted author and full-time dayjobs in retail purchasing and management the years following graduation. I also worked a LOT during undergrad.

Volunteer/internships: Local hospital's outpatient pediatric OT clinic, undergrad experiences volunteering with the children of incarcerated women, court advocacy for people experiencing intimate partner violence, hotline operator and counseling services intake coordinator for another domestic abuse agency

Shadowing: ~170+ hours between SNF, peds outpatient, hand therapy outpatient

Acceptances: USC, Washington University, UIC, UW-Milwaukee, and Rush
Rejections: n/a
Attending: UIC!!

My success in applications was completely unexpected on my end. I struggled a lot in undergrad - took more than 4 years to graduate, earned average grades, took a MLOA, had several Fs and countless withdrawals in classes in my majors - but I really succeeded when I started taking OT prereqs after earning my Bachelors. I also know for a fact that my recommendations were outstanding (one from a Wash U dean and another from a professor in Wash U's graduate OT program, as well as one from a working OT who was the director of rehab services at the SNF) and my GREs were above-average.

My recommendation to every low-GPA applicant is take your time, work hard to prove you're a better/more mature/more focused student than in the past, be open to going out of your state/city, do way more than required in every other area of your application, REALLY STUDY for the GRE, write compelling and thoughtful supplemental statements for any schools that allow it, and communicate regularly with admissions officers of programs you most want to attend. My top choice program - UIC - is, I suspect, the most competitive in admissions and more focused on numbers than schools that interview, but according to the school, my supplemental statement and outstanding recommendations had them consider me in a different light. Feel free to PM me if you think you might've been in a similar boat in undergrad and want insight.

Congrats to all who got in this year, and good luck to those applying in the future!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, Congrats on your acceptance to Nova! I'm just wondering, when did you hear back from U of St. Augustine? Also, was it for the Fall start or summer? Thanks!

I heard back maybe early Feb. I interviewed in December! I was accepted for their summer program

**UPDATE** - Acceptance @ Salem State

School
: Bates College (Lewiston, ME)
Major:
Studio Art
Minor: Economics
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.45
GRE: V- 155 , Q- 150, AW- 4.5

-Volunteer Experience: BostonCares

-OT Observation Hours: 30 hours at 3 locations (Skilled Nursing Facility, Elementary School, Pediatric Hospital)

Job Experience: 6 years of work experience (2011 graduate)- currently work in the Pharmaceutical Industry

Applied to: Bay Path, Springfield College, AIC, Tufts, Salem State & MCHPS

Interviews: None of the schools required interviews

Waitlist: Tufts, Bay Path

Acceptances: Springfield, Salem State

Rejections: None Yet

Attending: TBD!![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted to Worcester State University!!

Congrats! Do you know where you'll be attending?

Thanks so much:)

I'm having a really difficult time deciding, but most likely MUSC. Though I love Pitt, I can't see going nearly 200,000 in debt (tuition + estimated living expenses). MUSC and TJU are about the same but I'm not a huge Philly fan ...

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE!!!!

University:
Radford University
Major: Social Work Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.42 according to Otcas, bad Freshman year :( (3.51 for schools that do not use OTCAS)
Last 60 cred: 3.83
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: 3.5 writing, 145 verbal, 142 quantitative

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience:
50.5 hours at a pediatric outpatient clinic, 30.5 hours at an adult/children outpatient clinic, 30 hours at a skilled nursing facility, 80 hours as a CNA, 1000+ hours at a summer camp for children (over 3 years), 120 hours as an intern at a disability resource office, specifically with the deaf population, as well as people with special needs, 50 hours at a homeless shelter, currently: assistant teacher at an early learning center with children 6 weeks to 5 years old, interning at a skilled nursing facility (400 hours when completed)

Certifications:
CPR/First Aid, Psi Chi honors society, BSW Admissions, Deans list
Applying: Radford University, Murphy-Deming College of Health Sciences, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, VCU, WSSU, Towson, Shenandoah University, Emory & Henry
Acceptances: Jefferson College of Health Sciences (3/28) YAYAYAY :)
Waitlisted: Shenandoah University, Emory & Henry
Rejections: VCU, Murphy-Deming, WSSU, Towson
Interviews: JCHS, Emory & Henry, Murphy-Deming College of Health Sciences
Attending:

Still waiting to hear from Radford University!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping to get off the waitlist at WMU, anyone in a similar position heard back from them?

University:SUNY Buffalo
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA:3.24
Pre-Req GPA:3.8 ish depending on school
GRE: Did not take

Volunteer: 104 hours out patient clinic for developmentally disabled patients (also shadowing hours) 15 hours volunteer work at therapeutic horseback riding program

Acceptances: Hofstra

Waitlist: Bay path

Rejections: NYU, Touro

Interviews: Hofstra

Still waiting on MCPHS and A.T. Still

I was really nervous because 1. I did not take the GRE ( I work full time so I didnt have much preparation time) therefore, the schools I was able to apply for were limited. 2. My GPA wasnt great (due to freshmen and sophomore year :() I graduated in 2012 and I couldnt retake my classes...
I'm posting to give hope to the people that are in my position. After seeing all these high GPAs on this forum I thought I didn't have a chance but my personal statement was sincere and I think my evaluations from the OTs and supervisor was really good because I have a good relationship with all of them.
Also Hofstra's interview was in group format. 3 Questions were asked and everyone answered the same 3 questions. I feel like I stood out because I have a lot of work experience (everyone else was still a student or just graduated).
I'm so grateful that I got in to Hofstra. I was stressed out because I did not want to take the GRE and my 2nd option was to take it if I got rejected from all the schools.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! and STAY HOPEFUL! :thumbup:

Reactions: 4 users
University: Trinity College (Connecticut)
Major: Environmental Science
Overall GPA: 3.14 (undergrad was 3.01)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70
GRE: did not take (would have been embarrassingly low)

Extra-Currie: Varsity athlete on women's ice hockey team. Two-time All-American and national player of the year, stage technician at school's arts center, academic research field trips in Manitoba, Canada and Iowa.

OT Observations: 123 hours at special ed elementary school, 127 hours at VA hospital, 101 hours at skilled nursing facility, 10 hours at early intervention facility (ongoing.) I began this last one after I applied and asked the schools to append it to my application.

Applied: Sacred Heart, AIC, Bay Path, Springfield, Stony Brook, Kean, Seton Hall, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Columbia, NYIT, Sages (I applied to so many schools because I was rejected last year and didn't want to go through that again. However, when I applied last year I had not finished my prereqs, and only had observed at the elementary school.)

Acceptances: AIC, Springfield, Stony Brook, Kean, NYIT

Rejections: Sacred Heart, Sages, Seton Hall

Waitlist: Bay Path, NYU

Interviews: NYIT, Stony Brook, Kean

Haven't Heard: SUNY Downstate, Columbia

Attending:
It was a toss up between Stony Brook and Kean but I will be attending Kean! It's cheaper (10K less), shorter (2.5 yrs vs. 3), has better pass rates, and is more convenient (40 min train ride vs. 50 min car ride). I was emotionally attached to Stony Brook (brother was graduated in 2009, I liked the idea of going to school in Southampton, and it is a well known school compared to Kean) but those were not good enough reasons to choose SBU when Kean is, in reality, the better choice for me.

This is evidence that a low gpa is not the overall deciding factor! I tried to shine in other ways (observation hours, LOR's, personal statement) and it seemed to do the trick. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Update:

PGPA: 3.4-3.6
GPA: 3.2
Major gpa:3.6

140 hours of observations
GRE: V 149 Q 145 A 4

2 1/2 years working at a special needs school
President of psychology club, psi chi, and a bunch of other curriculars

Applied: west coast, stanbridge, NYU, columbia, seton hall, sacred heart and USC

Rejected: NYU, Columbia, USC , Sacred heart (wasn't really surprised with all of these lol)

Interviews: Stanbridge

Acceptances: stanbridge

Waiting to hear back from WCU. I will be deciding between that school and stanbridge. If not, i'll definitley be going to stanbridge

Update:

Applied: west coast, stanbridge, NYU, columbia, seton hall, sacred heart and USC

Rejected: NYU, Columbia, USC , Sacred heart (wasn't really surprised with all of these lol)

Waiting to hear back from WCU. I will be deciding between that school and stanbridge. If not, i'll definitley be going to stanbridge

congrats!!! I'm just curious..my GRE scores are almost the same as yours, and Stanbridge said they couldn't send my application to be reviewed because the scores were too low. Did you have that problem as well?

University: Trinity College (Connecticut)
Major: Environmental Science
Overall GPA: 3.14 (undergrad was 3.01)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70
GRE: did not take (would have been embarrassingly low)

Extra-Currie: Varsity athlete on women's ice hockey team. Two-time All-American and national player of the year, stage technician at school's arts center, academic research field trips in Manitoba, Canada and Iowa.

OT Observations: 123 hours at special ed elementary school, 127 hours at VA hospital, 101 hours at skilled nursing facility, 10 hours at early intervention facility (ongoing.) I began this last one after I applied and asked the schools to append it to my application.

Applied: Sacred Heart, AIC, Bay Path, Springfield, Stony Brook, Kean, Seton Hall, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Columbia, NYIT, Sages (I applied to so many schools because I was rejected last year and didn't want to go through that again. However, when I applied last year I had not finished my prereqs, and only had observed at the elementary school.)

Acceptances: AIC, Springfield, Stony Brook, Kean, NYIT

Rejections: Sacred Heart, Sages, Seton Hall

Waitlist: Bay Path, NYU

Interviews: NYIT, Stony Brook, Kean

Haven't Heard: SUNY Downstate, Columbia

Attending:
It was a toss up between Stony Brook and Kean but I will be attending Kean! It's cheaper (10K less), shorter (2.5 yrs vs. 3), has better pass rates, and is more convenient (40 min train ride vs. 50 min car ride). I was emotionally attached to Stony Brook (brother was graduated in 2009, I liked the idea of going to school in Southampton, and it is a well known school compared to Kean) but those were not good enough reasons to choose SBU when Kean is, in reality, the better choice for me.

This is evidence that a low gpa is not the overall deciding factor! I tried to shine in other ways (observation hours, LOR's, personal statement) and it seemed to do the trick. Good luck to everyone!

I am from Long Island and was wondering what train are you taking to Kean that is 40 minutes because that would be great. Trying to avoid housing expenses without going to the more expensive schools on LI. Thanks

I am from Long Island and was wondering what train are you taking to Kean that is 40 minutes because that would be great. Trying to avoid housing expenses without going to the more expensive schools on LI. Thanks

I live very close Penn Station and NJ Transit leaves from there. There is a stop right at Kean's campus :)

Last edited:
congrats!!! I'm just curious..my GRE scores are almost the same as yours, and Stanbridge said they couldn't send my application to be reviewed because the scores were too low. Did you have that problem as well?

Only my verbal didn't meet the requirements. I had taken the exam 3 times and showed how i went up each time and was only 1 point away. They reviewed it and said since i was only 1 point it was okay

UPDATE:

University: Iowa State University

Major: Kinesiology pre – OT

Overall GPA: 3.30 but 3.09 according to OTCAS :(

Prereq GPA : 3.4 - 3.5

GRE: 148Q 149V 3.5W

Observation Hours: 20 hrs Hand Therapy, 20 hrs hospital inpatient care

Applied: EWU, Idaho State, CSU, Western New England, Wesly College, A.T. Still

Acceptances: Western New England :)

Rejections: EWU, A.T. Still

There's still hope out there for those with lower GPA's! I've been really discouraged during the application process because my stats haven't been on par with everyone else, but you WILL find the right school for you, and things will work out :)

College: TCNJ
Major: Health and Exercise Science
Minor: Psychology
GPA: 3.71
GRE: 158 Verbal, 152 Quant, 4 Writing

Volunteer/Work Experience: 40 hours at an outpatient center for adult and pediatric rehab, 20 hours at an inpatient/outpatient center for adult, geriatric, and brain injury rehab, and 450 hours for an OT internship at a hospital and the outpatient rehab center associated with that hospital. I was also an OT aide at a rehab center during my senior year.

Applied: Stockton, NYU, Columbia, Tufts, TJU, Howard, Temple, Boston U

Interviews: Stockton, Temple, BU, Howard (declined)

Acceptances: Tufts, Temple, Stockton, Columbia, Howard (got an acceptance letter even though I declined the interview?)

Waitlisted: TJU, NYU, BU

Attending: Undecided

Currently debating between Tufts and Columbia. Tufts offered a scholarship so it's a bit cheaper, but Columbia is closer to home and more convenient. Both programs are highly ranked. I'm torn so if anyone has advice or insight, please send it my way!

Hey! How did Columbia notify you of your acceptance? Email or mail??

UPDATE!!

University: Washington State University
Major: Kinesiology, Psych Minor
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8ish (dependent on school)
GRE: V:156 Q:158 A: 4.0

Extra-Curric: President of Pre-PT/OT Club, Intern in Biomechanics Lab, Anatomy TA, Group Fitness and Yoga Instructor for 3+ years, Personal Trainer for 2+ years, CPR Instructor for 2+ years, Facility Manager at Student Recreation Center. Summer volunteer program to South Africa.

Volunteer: 130 hours in Pediatrics, Home Health, Hospice, Skilled Nursing Facility, Schools, Inpatient and Outpatient. *I also have a required internship for the summer after graduation where I will be working in an OT outpatient clinic. Required to do at least 450 hours that summer.*

Applied to: Midwestern-Downers Grove, University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, Pacific University, University of St. Augustine- Austin, University of Minnesota, Chatham, Sacred Heart, NYU, Columbia, MCPHS, Thomas Jefferson University

Acceptances: Chatham(12/6), Thomas Jefferson University (12/22), NYU(2/1), MCPHS

Waitlisted: University of Minnesota, University of Washington

Rejections: University of Puget Sound, Pacific University, Sacred Heart University,

Interviews: Thomas Jefferson University, Chatham, Touro and U of St Augustine offered, I declined

UPDATE!!

University: Washington State University
Major: Kinesiology, Psych Minor
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8ish (dependent on school)
GRE: V:156 Q:158 A: 4.0

Extra-Curric: President of Pre-PT/OT Club, Intern in Biomechanics Lab, Anatomy TA, Group Fitness and Yoga Instructor for 3+ years, Personal Trainer for 2+ years, CPR Instructor for 2+ years, Facility Manager at Student Recreation Center. Summer volunteer program to South Africa.

Volunteer: 130 hours in Pediatrics, Home Health, Hospice, Skilled Nursing Facility, Schools, Inpatient and Outpatient. *I also have a required internship for the summer after graduation where I will be working in an OT outpatient clinic. Required to do at least 450 hours that summer.*

Applied to: Midwestern-Downers Grove, University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, Pacific University, University of St. Augustine- Austin, University of Minnesota, Chatham, Sacred Heart, NYU, Columbia, MCPHS, Thomas Jefferson University

Acceptances: Chatham(12/6), Thomas Jefferson University (12/22), NYU(2/1), MCPHS

Waitlisted: University of Minnesota, University of Washington

Rejections: University of Puget Sound, Pacific University, Sacred Heart University,

Interviews: Thomas Jefferson University, Chatham, Touro and U of St Augustine offered, I declined

Congratulations! Do you know where you will be attending?

Update:

Yayy!! Congrats!!! You're going to love California!

UPDATE:
University: UT - Martin
Major: Health and Human Performance
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6 range
GRE: 149 on V & Q; Writing: 4.5
Extra Curric: Member of a sorority, involved in two leadership organizations on campus, ABA tech at a children's treatment center for Autsim for almost two years
Observation hours: 65 hours in geriatrics, 8 hours in pediatrics

Applied: UTHSC-Memphis (invited back for an interview later this month)
Accepted: UTHSC!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I was really worried about getting into an OT school with my low GPA, but I wanted to share with y'all that there's always hope! I honestly think a lot of it was my prior experiences in underserved communities/OT-related activities and my strong personal statement/essays :)

University:
UCLA
Major: Physiological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.15 according to OTCAS
Prereq GPA: around 3.0
GRE: 4.0 writing, 164 verbal, 161 quantitative

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience:
50 hours in UCLA Outpatient Rehab, 50 hours in geriatric rehab, 5 years of Special Olympics (president for one year), autism training for healthcare professionals internship, Mobile Clinic, membership in premedical frat (was premed initially lol), Club Taekwondo, Anatomy UA, full-time clinical research coordinator for 2 years

Certifications:
CPR/First Aid, NREMT

Applying: MGHIHP, Rush, Boston U, U of South Dakota, Murphy Deming, U of Tennessee, USC, UIC, Huntington, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Thomas Jefferson, Columbia, Virginia Commonwealth
Acceptances: MGHIHP (02/28), Boston U (off waitlist on 03/28), USC (03/27), Pittsburgh (01/18), Thomas Jefferson (02/01), Columbia (03/21), Virginia Commonwealth (02/01)
Waitlisted: Rush (withdrew), Boston U, Toledo (withdrew)
Rejections: UIC, U of Tennessee
Interviews: MGHIHP, Rush, Boston U, U of South Dakota (declined), Huntington (declined), Thomas Jefferson
Attending: undecided

I'm thinking about MGHIHP, BU, or USC... if anyone has any input or advice about the decision making process, lmk! Thanks :)

Major: Human Development and Family Science
GPA: 3.65-OTCAS (pre-req 3.7)
GRE: 149 quantitative, 152 verbal, 4.0 writing

Volunteer Experience/Observation/Extra Ciric: 300 hour internship at outpatient PEDS clinic, 50 hours hippotherapy, 30 hours SNF, member of Pre-OT club at my undergrad, Exec Board and leadership for my sorority for 2.5 years, good amount of volunteering for special needs rec program/kids at church/mission trip/some programs within my college at my university

(Relevant) Employment: Camp counselor and day camp assistant director for 3 summers, worked for several families who have children with special needs for 3 years

Applied: Augusta, Milligan, Shenandoah, NOVA Southeastern, Brenau
Interviews: Augusta, Milligan, NOVA Southeastern
Rejected: Shenandoah, Augusta
Accepted: Milligan (ATTENDING off waitlist!!!) and NOVA Southeastern (didn't make deposit)

I just want to encourage everyone to trust their gut and the whole process! Look at schools that truly are a good fit for you and it will all work out :)
I honestly believe my interviews got me in, so be confident in yourself and how hard you have worked! We're all highly qualified and should be proud of our achievements so far!

Best of luck to everyone else waiting to hear back from schools and top choices!

Reactions: 2 users
FINAL UPDATE

Major: Rehabilitation Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.60
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.9 depending on school
GRE: 151 Q, 152 V, 4.5 W

Extra-Curric: volunteer at a hospital, research assistant in an educational psychology lab, volunteer leader at various organizations during undergraduate

Volunteer: 240 hours nursing and rehab facility, 40 hours children's pediatric therapy facility

Applied: UIC, Midwestern (IL), Elmhurst College, Rush, UW-Milwaukee, Salus University, Philadelphia University, Chatham University, Wash U, USC, Belmont

Acceptances: Elmhurst College, Philadelphia University, UW-Milwaukee, Salus University, Rush University

Rejections: UIC, USC

Waitlist: Chatham, Wash U

Interviews: Elmhurst College (1/13), Rush (1/27), Salus University (2/13), Belmont (4/7-declined), Midwestern (4/21-declined)

Attending: Rush University

Anyone heard back from Stanbridge yet? I saw some people were given acceptance already, I did my interview in March and it's making me really nervous!

Hi everyone!
I will be graduating undergrad this Spring and am applying for this cycle that opens in the summer and had a few questions regarding the application process..

So I was planning on taking A&P1 and A&P2 over the summer post graduation (summer A & B) but I've been having issues with enrolling for summer A classes. Apparently because I'll be graduating at the end of April, I will have to wait until I'm fully "conferred"/have my official transcripts to register for any classes. =>> SparkNotes: I can't take A&P1 until Summer B, and A&P2 will have to be taken in the Fall...so it will be pending when I apply for schools. I'll also have 1 or two courses (depending on the program) that will be pending as well, and am worried that this will affect my chances of acceptance.

Does anyone have experience getting accepted into programs with pre reqs still "in pending"?

The schools that I'm applying to are: SJSU, Downstate Suny, UC Dominguez Hill, TJU, NYU, Texas Medical Branch, Colombia (and maybe a few others).

Thank you!

Hi everyone!
I will be graduating undergrad this Spring and am applying for this cycle that opens in the summer and had a few questions regarding the application process..

So I was planning on taking A&P1 and A&P2 over the summer post graduation (summer A & B) but I've been having issues with enrolling for summer A classes. Apparently because I'll be graduating at the end of April, I will have to wait until I'm fully "conferred"/have my official transcripts to register for any classes. =>> SparkNotes: I can't take A&P1 until Summer B, and A&P2 will have to be taken in the Fall...so it will be pending when I apply for schools. I'll also have 1 or two courses (depending on the program) that will be pending as well, and am worried that this will affect my chances of acceptance.

Does anyone have experience getting accepted into programs with pre reqs still "in pending"?

The schools that I'm applying to are: SJSU, Downstate Suny, UC Dominguez Hill, TJU, NYU, Texas Medical Branch, Colombia (and maybe a few others).

Thank you!

I got into TJU without even starting one of their prerequisites and got into Towson with a pending course. I have a pretty high GPA though so that may have helped a bit. For TJU I was missing an anthropology and Towson physics so AP might hold a tad more weight. I would call and talk to your favorite programs admissions office. Also, some schools only let you apply with a few prerequisites pending (I've seen like 2 or 3 at most schools). I would also try to take AP at a different school, like a community college. I spoke to 3 schools that told me they don't care where prerequisites are taken.

FINAL UPDATE:

University:
University of Virginia
Major: Cognitive Science
Overall GPA: 3.53 according to OTCAS (3.32 from 2.5 years at UVA, transferred from George Mason Univ. with a 3.95, and took a couple courses at community college with a 4.0)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: 148 v, 152 Q, 4.0 AW

Applied to: MGH Institute, Sacred Heart University, Springfield College, Thomas Jefferson University, University of New England, Boston University, Tufts University, Columbia University, Worcester State University, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Acceptances: University of New England (12/16), Worcester State (3/21), Columbia

Rejections: Thomas Jefferson University (1/30), Tufts (2/27), MGH Institute (2/28), Sacred Heart (3/7), BU (3/7), UW-Milwaukee (withdrew app)

Interviews: University of New England (11/11), MGH Institute (2/3)

I was also accepted past preliminary review for Springfield (2/10), but I had to pay an extra $50 to continue the app process, so I declined the offer.

ATTENDING: Columbia University!!

*UPDATE**

School: Bates College (Lewiston, ME)
Major:
Studio Art
Minor: Economics
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.45
GRE: V- 155 , Q- 150, AW- 4.5

-Volunteer Experience: BostonCares

-OT Observation Hours: 30 hours at 3 locations (Skilled Nursing Facility, Elementary School, Pediatric Hospital)

Job Experience: 6 years of work experience (2011 graduate)- currently work in the Pharmaceutical Industry

Applied to: Bay Path, Springfield College, AIC, Tufts, Salem State & MCHPS

Interviews: None of the schools required interviews

Waitlist: Tufts, Bay Path

Acceptances: Springfield, Salem State

Rejections: MCPHS

Attending: TBD!! Tufts if I get off the waitlist, but otherwise likely Springfield College. [/QUOTE]

School: Tennessee State University
Major:
Interdisciplinary Studies- Social Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: V- 152 , Q- 144, AW- 4.0

Extra curricular- D1 Softball, Club Rugby

-OT Observation Hours: 100(Skilled Nursing Facility, Brooks Rehab Spinal Injury, UF Health Hospital-mainly hand therapy)

Job Experience: 1 years of relevant work experience in Elementary Special EDU

Applied to: Belmont, University of Toledo, U of Saint Augustine FL (Flex), NOVA-MOT

Interviews: Belmont, Saint Augustine, Nova

Waitlist: Belmont,University of Toledo

Acceptances: Saint Augustine, Nova

Rejections: None

Attending: Nova!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my stats for those who are worried about their low GPA and GRE. This is my 1st time applying and I doubted if I would be accepted the first time around.

University: UC Davis
Major: Textiles and Clothing
Overall GPA: 3.12 (undergrad was 2.69) :unsure:
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7 - 3.5 depending on schools
GRE: V:150 Q: 152 AW:3.5

Volunteer: 13 Observations Hours with Home Health OT, 104 Hours Skilled Nursing Facility, over 500 Hours in Acute Rehab Hospital

Applied to
: LLU, Samuel Merritt, Pacific University, USC, Howard University, University of St. Augustine- San Marcos, Dominican University of CA

Acceptances: Howard University, University of St. Augustine- San Marcos (attending)

Waitlisted: Dominican University of CA

Rejections:
LLU, Samuel Merritt, Pacific University, USC

Reactions: 8 users

FINAL UPDATE
University:
University of Southern California
Major: Social Sciences and Psychology
Minor(s): Occupational Sciences
GPA: 3.35
Pre-req: 3.0-3.4
GRE: 154 V/ 155 Q/ 4.5 W
Volunteer: Approx. 400 in 5 pediatric settings & hospital
Experience related to field: ABA shadow, research in Anthropology/Occupational Therapy field school, full-time preschool teacher for one year
LOR: 1 OT, 1 Professor, Research Supervisor

Accepted: Creighton, Rush (attending)
Interviewed: Creighton, Rush
Rejected: UIC, NYU, TJU, Puget Sound, Columbia, CSU, USC, UNE and Pacific

To any future applicants:
Although this was an absolutely miserable process (the applications are a lot of work but the waiting is the hardest), I ended up at my top choice school. However, as you can see, I was rejected from many places! Some of them my safety schools! All I can say about this process is it is SO random. In searching this forum, you'll see that some applicants with top scores are not accepted to top schools but some with lower scores are. Apply to as many schools as you feel you can handle. Apply to the places where your strengths show and are taken into consideration! It is important that you apply to schools where you can show off a bit but also where they place importance on the places you excel.

Reactions: 3 users

Good advice 90sOT.

What's funny is that I noticed a lot of people who applied to both UIC and Rush... if they didn't get into one, they got into the other (if they weren't dismissed by both). Makes me wonder if they look for a certain type of student...

Final Update! I was originally Rejected from University of Florida in March and by a totally crazy unexpected change just got an email on Friday saying they have an opening for me! Over the moon! GO GATORS! :clap:

University:
University of Florida
Major/Minor: B.A. Political Science (cum laude)
Upper Division (last 60 credits) GPA: 3.8
OTCAS GPA 3.7
Pre-req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 153 V 147 Q ( ugh) 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: 24 inpatient at a hospital ICU, 120 at an outpatient Rehabilitation/hand therapy clinic, 34 both inpatient/outpatient hospital (Inpatient dealt with post op, oncology etc), ~25 hours in a nursing facility (geriatrics), ~20 hours in a Rehabilitation hospital
220+ hours total

Volunteer: Homeless shelter, ICYE volunteer aborad in Costa Ria in a children's community center, Literacy council tutor, Food bank kitchens, Circle K Kiwanis, Greek philanthropies (Girl Scouts of America etc)
Work experience: OT Aide at Outpatient Rehab, OT/PT Rehab Technician, Literacy Citizenship Test Tutor, Intern at a US Congressional Office, Legal intern at a Law Firm, various other restaraunt jobs all throughout college
Other extracurriculars: Division III Cross Country/Track, KD Sorority Sister, Legal Honor Society Inductee, Triathlon team, College Dem political club, Political Phone bank sponser
Awards: Midwest All Conference Academic Team, Certificate of Congressional recognition, Dean's List and/or President's list at each college I attended, graduated with cum laude honors from UF

Schools Applied to:
Nova Southeastern University, Midwestern (Glendale AZ), Chatham U, University of Florida, East Carolina U, Phildelphia U, Tennessee State, Carroll University, Davenport U, Springfield College, Winston Salem State U, U Alabama Birmingham, U Central Arkansas, Milligan College, Towson U
Interviews: Milligan College (declined), Nova Southeastern (10/12) Midwestern U (Arizona) (1/21) Chatham U (11/19), U St. Augustine, Towson U (declined), Tenn State (Declined), U Alabama Birmingham (declined)
Acceptances: Nova Southeastern, Philadelphia U, U St. Augustine, (2/2/17) Davenport U,(4/2/17) Carroll U, (3/23) University of Florida (4/14)
Waitlists: Chatham U, Winston Salem State
Rejections: Eastern Carolina, U Central Arkansas PHD OT program, Springfield College (Accidentally didn't take one of their pre reqs)
Attending: UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA!!!:soexcited:

Will be giving up my spot at NOVA to some other deserving student!:)

Last edited:
I pulled myself off Rush's waitlist in February and just got notified I was accepted...having a bit of a mid semester crises so it's tempting, but I will be re notifying them I am not attending so those still waiting on Rush, they are still looking!

To follow that, has anyone on the Pitt waitlist heard anything back?